• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
5-for on debut for recently turned 18 year-old Gerald Coetzee for Free State against Northerns

Also good to see Dupavillon with 10 4-28 for KZN Coastal

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
WP/Cobras cricket have had loads of issues and problems and failings in recent seasons but they starting to get quite a few things right.

WPCA appoint Puttick as batting consultant

Former Cape Cobras and Western Province stalwart, Andrew Puttick, has been appointed as a batting consultant for the Western Province Cricket Association. Puttick will invest his 20 years’ experience at first-class level into developing stars from Western Province who can represent South Africa.

“It was something Nabael (Dien, the chief executive officer of the Western Province Cricket Association) and I had discussed for quite some while. Ashwell (Prince, head coach of the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras) had also really encouraged me to stay involved,” he said.

Puttick retired at the end of last season after a final flurry – scoring his 78th century in his final first-class match.

Talking about his style, Puttick said: “I think one needs to be observant and then flexible. Every batsman has his own methods, technique and personality. One then needs patience to build up the relationship and trust – from there my goal is to make a batsman more effective at scoring runs.

“Slight technical adjustments are needed but it is more about helping batsmen with game plans, building confidence and batting smarter.

“There is a nice mix of young talented batters in the Western Province structures. They are hungry to impress and are pushing each other which is good. At Cobras level, Janneman (Malan) and Dave (Bedingham) have both passed 100 early in their Cobras careers, Zuby (Hamza) and Pieter (Malan) have been prolific at franchise level for a while now.

“Avi (Mgijima) has been brilliant in the middle order and played some great innings as has Kyle (Verreynne), who for a young guy has been very consistent and good in pressure situations. Jason Smith has great potential with both bat and ball,” Puttick said.

“For now, my aim is to offer guidance and practical skills to the batsmen and I want to try and enhance the levels of improvement of batsmen in the structures through the levels of WP U19, Academy, WP semi-pro and the Cobras, so that there will be strength in depth and competition for places and players moving on to be successful in international cricket,” Puttick concluded.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
4 for Harmer, 4 for Nortje , 2 for Magala and a lead of 40 for Warriors. Not too bad.

Clyde Fortuin though with another double failure. Just found senior cricket very tough.

SeamUp

International Coach
Spartan , Rocks , Stars, Heat, Giants & Blitz are the names of the teams in The Mzansi T20 League :laugh:

Decided to open up a new thread for this.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey SeamUp, which guy in this top 7 will be most feeling the axe hovering as the season unfolds due to the rise of Breetzke?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig Alexander is still a thing? Remember seeing him play for South Africa A against Australia A what must be a good 5 or 6 years ago, he was damn quick but was really spraying them around

SeamUp

International Coach
Hey SeamUp, which guy in this top 7 will be most feeling the axe hovering as the season unfolds due to the rise of Breetzke?

:D Will have to be Colin Ackermann as an overseas player.

I'm not a massive Eddie Moore fan but you can't deny the runs he is scoring for the Warriors in 4-day cricket.

The captain JJ Smuts is probably a lock but is also a better limited overs player.

Interesting article here after his stint with SA now. Told to score runs for Eastern Province.

https://city-press.news24.com/Sport...on-their-national-team-crash-courses-20181019

SeamUp

International Coach
Craig Alexander is still a thing? Remember seeing him play for South Africa A against Australia A what must be a good 5 or 6 years ago, he was damn quick but was really spraying them around
:laugh: I'm shocked myself. He was washed up 3 seasons or so ago. Hence the Dolphins releasing him. Can't believe the Lions re-signed him.

SeamUp

International Coach
Jason Smith back in the runs. When you have Janneman Malan, Zubyar Hamza, David Bedingham and Kyle Verreynne. Things are looking pretty sweet. Then you have the best schoolboy batsman who has scored a List A 100 at 17 & broke the SA record for that on debut and it looks awesome.

SeamUp

International Coach
Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Action shots from Dolphins v Warriors. Final day tomorrow. Other two games finished inside 3 days with Cobras 3 wins out of 3.

Vaughn doing what he has been doing for years. Hitting boundaries.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Day 2 above. Here is Day 1 with Eathan Bosch picking up a 5-for. 5th youngest in franchise cricket to do so after Wiaan Mulder, Michael Cohen, Daryn Dupavillon and Kagiso Rabada. Lungi Ngidi is 6th youngest.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Day 3 - Colin Ackermann 100

Muthusamy another 5-wicket haul and out-bowling Maharaj again. Genuine all-rounder. Needs runs this season though.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
UPDATED stats for 4 sides who have completed 3 rounds

COBRAS

J.Malan 248 runs @ 49.60
Bedingham 245 runs @ 61.25
P.Malan 235 runs @ 47.00
Verreynne (wk) 185 runs @ 61.66
Hamza 175 runs @ 43.75
Smith 157 runs @ 78.50

Bokako 16 wickets @ 22.06
Paterson 14 wickets @ 17.64
Piedt 11 wickets @ 32.36
Williams 5 wickets @ 20.80
Smith 5 wickets @ 23.40

KNIGHTS

Van Biljon 294 runs @ 49.00
Petersen 206 runs @ 34.33
Second (wk) 187 runs @ 37.40
McLaren 163 runs @ 40.75

McLaren 12 wickets @ 24.00
Olivier 12 wickets @ 24.33
Baartman 11 wickets @ 21.90

LIONS

Cook 327 runs @ 65.40
vd Bergh (wk) 245 runs @ 61.25
D.Hendricks 132 runs @ 33.00
Bavuma 129 runs @ 64.50
D.Pretorius 30 runs @ 15.00*

B.Hendricks 18 wickets @ 15.94
M.Pretorius 10 wickets @ 30.70
Siboto 7 wickets @ 37.85
D.Pretorius 1 wicket @ 154.00*

TITANS

de Bruyn 405 runs @ 81.00
de Zorzi 110 runs @ 22.00
Morris 92 runs @ 30.66*

Morris 12 wickets @ 16.33
Mothoa 11 wickets @ 26.63
Von Berg 9 wickets 34.44
Dala 4 wickets @ 66.50*

SeamUp

International Coach
My poor Warriors get no consideration......
Well, you just completed your first victory. Dolphins will be shaking their heads with these 2 losses but the middle order batting a concern.

WARRIORS

Vallie 285 runs @ 57.00
Moore 279 runs @ 55.80
Cloete 202 runs @ 50.50
Ackermann 139 runs @ 46.33
Qeshile 139 runs @ 34.75

Nortje 11 wickets @ 27.45
Harmer 7 wickets @ 30.14
Magala 7 wickets @ 35.85
Smuts 6 wickets @ 27.33
Sipamla 5 wickets @ 34.80

DOLPHINS