• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner retirement thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think appeals were tenable.
I think they would have been. Wouldn't be too hard for Smith to argue that his being a moron is not worthy of the same punishment as the guy who masterminded the whole thing.

if anything an appeal would've amounted to challenging the basic premise of cheating,
By what possible mechanism? They were punished for cheating by the ICC - a one match ban. The argument here is about proportionality.

which would only make the way back even tougher, considering the (unnecessary) bad blood due to the appeal process within.
CA would welcome Smith back with open arms if it meant getting more cash. It's how it would go down with our dog-whistle media that would be the issue.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I think they would have been. Wouldn't be too hard for Smith to argue that his being a moron is not worthy of the same punishment as the guy who masterminded the whole thing.

By what possible mechanism? They were punished for cheating by the ICC - a one match ban. The argument here is about proportionality.

CA would welcome Smith back with open arms if it meant getting more cash. It's how it would go down with our dog-whistle media that would be the issue.
1. Except the small matter that as captain of the team, it was Smith who authorized the activity. It might have been concocted and executed by anyone, but it's final responsibility lies with Smith. That is why we have people bestowed with authority - so that they can be held accountable.

2. ICC doesn't employ Messrs Smith, Bancroft and Warner. CA does. There is a contract between CA and the three players. The whole question of "proportionality" is arbitrary given it is purely up to the employer and employee and the terms of the contract. It is also CA that stands to lose a good amount of credibility and money due to this incident. Potential damages could outrival some other boards' annual revenues and then some more. So any question of proportionality in this case is merely a hypothesis with no basis in the laws of the land.

3. The two things are not mutually exclusive. CA getting money is based on sponsors and TV rights which in turn are dependent on buy-ins by viewers which in turn are shaped by perceptions which in turn are partly based on what media reports. CA cannot exist in isolation.

Starfighter

And none of those points rebut what I said. Well done. You should give yourself a pat on the back.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
On the contrary, it pretty much does rebut everything that you said (although may not completely albeit substantially).

I don't mind a pat though after a 30 hour workday. Thanks :)

SeamUp

International Coach
The Warners have confirmed that Candice suffered a mis-carriage in the after-math of the scandal.

Surely just keep to yourself ?

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The Warners have confirmed that Candice suffered a mis-carriage in the after-math of the scandal.

Surely just keep to yourself ?
They appear the sort of people that would not keep it to themselves..... that is still a truly horrible thing to go through.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm sorry for them, but seriously, why broadcast news like this?

Why does anyone apart from your close friends or family need to know this kind of info?

Starfighter

It might make the lupine media and all the idiots who would otherwise have no interest in cricket but blew this up bigger than Watergate feel slightly bad about themselves. Not that they'd have any shame, anyway.

Red

It might make the lupine media and all the idiots who would otherwise have no interest in cricket but blew this up bigger than Watergate feel slightly bad about themselves. Not that they'd have any shame, anyway.
And I've no doubt it was carefully orchestrated to do just that. Which makes it so crass and tasteless in so many ways.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And I've no doubt it was carefully orchestrated to do just that. Which makes it so crass and tasteless in so many ways.
How would you know? Just as possible a friend told the media who went to them and they confirmed it. No one can know.

It’s not the sort of thing I’d broadcast, or even confirm if asked. It here’s no right and wrong way to deal with that sort of ****.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sorry for them, but seriously, why broadcast news like this?

Why does anyone apart from your close friends or family need to know this kind of info?
Do you realise how this sort of things work? You think they just decided to hold a press conference and announce it to everyone for attention? You don't realise how the media can operate about this sort of thing.

Suggesting that they are using the miscarriage of a child as some kind of publicity stunt is just so uncool

Probably best not discussed here in the cricket forum?
Definitely

Red

Do you realise how this sort of things work?... You don't realise how the media can operate about this sort of thing.
Yeh, I do, which is why I said what I said. I know EXACTLY how these sorts of things work.

If I'm wrong, I apologise unreservedly. But if you read a WW article with direct quotes in it from the people the article is about, there's an agenda there, usually.

Once again, I apologise if I'm wrong, but if people want to air personal life **** thru crass bull**** media outlets like WW, of course I'm gonna be suspicious about their motives.

Flem274*

123/5
maybe she just wants people to **** off and she thinks revealing the miscarriage might encourage people to leave her alone during this bad time rather than continually go on about the ball tampering?