• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confirmed: Rabada banned for two matches

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't get everyone whining about this tbh. He only has himself to blame for his conduct over the preceding two years. It isn't like he was unaware of potential sanctions if he kept behaving as he has in the past. I think it's a great shame he's not playing from a spectator's POV, and certainly if he was injured I'd be seriously sad that he wasn't out there. Unfortunately for SA and for him, the way he carries on stinks, he had plenty of warning about it and he kept going.

As for the argument that he barely made contact with TPC, I think that's irrelevant if he did it deliberately (a different issue in itself). Cricket's a non-contact sport. if you want to follow a contact sport, follow football (not association football, a code where there's body contact and people don't writhe around on the ground after having a hand placed on their arm).

Once you allow deliberate physical contact on the field, all bets are off re. player behaviour. You'll end up with a bloke wrapping a bat around a bowler's head once you allow it to start.

the big bambino

International Captain
No he deserved it. Cricket can't afford to implicitly allow any form of contact.

He. Crossed. A. Line.

Having said that I'm angry he was stupid enough to jeopardise his place and compromise a gold standard test series. If Australia is to win the series I'd have wanted to see it scored against SA's best XI. Not that SA shouldn't be ambitious for a win as Morkel and eventually Steyn are pretty acceptable alternatives you'd have to agree. But at this stage of their careers they aren't as good as Rabada. I kind of feel like Australia is in a position where a series win will have a question mark against it or a series loss would be humiliating without SA's best bowler available.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
<blockquote>As for the argument that he barely made contact with TPC, I think that's irrelevant if he did it deliberately (a different issue in itself). Cricket's a non-contact sport. if you want to follow a contact sport, follow football.... Once you allow deliberate physical contact on the field, all bets are off re. player behaviour. You'll end up with a bloke wrapping a bat around a bowler's head once you allow it to start. </blockquote>

100% this. I'm like just about everyone else sad he's gone from the series but since when has physical contact as a send-off ever been part of the game as some in this thread have implied? Sure, the Smith brush was only minor but what if Smith had reacted aggressively towards Rabada and it could've been an on-field version of the stoush that happened in the first Test.

On a broader level, I think the ICC are in a no-win situation here. If they let on-field confrontations go unpunished they're criticised by many as ruining Test cricket. If they clamp down on it they're criticised by another batch of supporters as ruining Test cricket.

I do agree though that there is a bias (perhaps subconsciously) towards the big three countries when it comes to behavioral issues.

Bolo

State Captain
Anyone find it odd that Rabada is clearly a true thinking bowler (already up there with the best in my mind in this regard, despite not having the experience to draw on), and never falls into the fast bowlers' trap of letting emotions overrun effective bowling, but is a complete hothead otherwise?

cnerd123

likes this
No he deserved it. Cricket can't afford to implicitly allow any form of contact.

He. Crossed. A. Line.

Having said that I'm angry he was stupid enough to jeopardise his place and compromise a gold standard test series. If Australia is to win the series I'd have wanted to see it scored against SA's best XI. Not that SA shouldn't be ambitious for a win as Morkel and eventually Steyn are pretty acceptable alternatives you'd have to agree. But at this stage of their careers they aren't as good as Rabada. I kind of feel like Australia is in a position where a series win will have a question mark against it or a series loss would be humiliating without SA's best bowler available.
#AustraliansTellingTheRestOfTheWorldWhereTheLineIs

cnerd123

likes this
Just saw the Rabada "shoulder barge"

JFC three points for that? He was screaming at his teammates behind Smith, walked passed Smith, and their sleeves flicked each other. What the ****. It was nothing. Steve Smith complaining about that to the umpire looks far worse to me than the actual shoulder barge.

Ridiculous.

Him putting hands on Tharanga or sending off Dhawan was far worse. Even the Warner send off is bad. All demerit points worthy. The shoulder 'barge' is just Steve Smith having a whinge over nothing and the match referee letting him have his way. It's a non incident and Rabada got screwed.

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
There seems to be an assumption that Rabada's send-offs and the like add to his bowling but I can't agree; if anything it detracts from it. His being one of the very few pacemen in recent times to get Smith out LBW in what is usually his run-scoring area was forgotten with what occurred afterwards.

If Rabada didn't engage in this post-wicket behaviour, would it make his bowling feats any less impressive or compelling to watch? Not one iota for mine.

<blockquote>JFC three points for that? He was screaming at his teammates behind Smith, walked passed Smith, and their sleeves flicked each other. What the ****. It was nothing. Steve Smith complaining about that to the umpire looks far worse to me than the actual shoulder barge.</blockquote>

Smith wasn't complaining about it to the umpire iirc; he went to Shaun Marsh to ask whether he should review that decision (which he foolishly did as it turned out).

cnerd123

likes this
There is a moment where Steve indicates to the shoulder that 'barged' into Rabada and nodded towards him. He was definitely drawing attention to it; I assume it was directed to the united but maybe it wasn't.

the big bambino

International Captain
Just saw the Rabada "shoulder barge"

JFC three points for that? He was screaming at his teammates behind Smith, walked passed Smith, and their sleeves flicked each other. What the ****. It was nothing. Steve Smith complaining about that to the umpire looks far worse to me than the actual shoulder barge.

Ridiculous.

Him putting hands on Tharanga or sending off Dhawan was far worse. Even the Warner send off is bad. All demerit points worthy. The shoulder 'barge' is just Steve Smith having a whinge over nothing and the match referee letting him have his way. It's a non incident and Rabada got screwed.
The charge was inappropriate and deliberate contact with a player. It doesn't have to be a "shoulder barge" as you emotively describe it to make a case you can't otherwise sustain. When people get a charge for a send off without comment from fans your infatuation with this incident seems jaundiced.

cnerd123

likes this
The charge was inappropriate and deliberate contact with a player. It doesn't have to be a "shoulder barge" as you emotively describe it to make a case you can't otherwise sustain. When people get a charge for a send off without comment from fans your infatuation with this incident seems jaundiced.
It wasn't a charge tho. He was celebrating and trying to walk past Smith to join his teammates and their shoulders flicked

It's just such a non incident to be reprimanded on. Smith's reaction after it is what makes it look bad.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't walk off in huff until January because my team was being bitch slapped you bed wetter.
I didnt walk off because my team was losing you muppet, ive hung in through much worse than that.. I had a spell because of children like you making ****wit posts like this which were annoying the crap out of me. You were 100% a major contributor in making that the worst Ashes subbie ever.

Now back on topic.....you want some sauce on that massive chip of yours? Must be tough with eveyone being so mean to the Aussies.

cnerd123

likes this
It's not unlucky. It's just such a non issue. I wouldn't blame him if it never occurred to him that his sleeve flicking the batsman's could lead to 3 demerit points. Cricketers have done far worse in the past couple of years for far less.

Burgey

Fancy saying giving Dhawan a send off was worse than the Smith or Warner incidents. Dhawan is a stain and a blight on cricket. If anything, Rabada giving him a spray should have put him in credit wrt future transgressions against real cricketers.

cnerd123

likes this
Fancy saying giving Dhawan a send off was worse than the Smith or Warner incidents. Dhawan is a stain and a blight on cricket. If anything, Rabada giving him a spray should have put him in credit wrt future transgressions against real cricketers.
You actually have a point here tbh

Burgey

In fairness, Dhawan deserves a bit of leniency because, being Indian, he's under so much more pressure than players from other nations.