• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Never to be broken records.

Waughney

International Debutant
What record do you think will never be broken? (Discluding things like 10 wickets in an innings etc.) Personally I think Jim Lakers 19 wickets in a match is the most likely well known record to never be broken. Post any other 'unbreakable records' here.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Waughney said:
What record do you think will never be broken? (Discluding things like 10 wickets in an innings etc.) Personally I think Jim Lakers 19 wickets in a match is the most likely well known record to never be broken. Post any other 'unbreakable records' here.
Sidney Barnes' 49 wickets in a 4 test series against South Africa

Waughney

International Debutant
Loony BoB said:
Never say never. After all, you neve- ...er, you just don't know what might happen.
The title says never but the post says "most likely well known record never to be broken. :D

Loony BoB

International Captain
What record do you think will never be broken?
;)

I honestly think that all current breakable records will be broken at some point. All it takes is one bad day from a bad team against a great day from a great team.

Scallywag

Banned
Bradmans career average would be the most unlikely record to be broken.

Even though 10 wickets in an innings would be hard to break.

Waughney

International Debutant
Loony BoB said:
;)

I honestly think that all current breakable records will be broken at some point. All it takes is one bad day from a bad team against a great day from a great team.
Fair enough

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I am convinced that 19/90 will never be broken in my lifetime. 26 all out will take some beating too (watch this space - Aus v Zim).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
BRADMAN : Career batting average of 99.9 in tests by anyone having played 50 or m ore tests.

BRADMAN : 974 runs in a 5 test series.

HOBBS : 197 first class hundreds

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Loony BoB said:
;)

Yes thats true. But there are records which take more than a day to make. Like Bradman's average over 50 tests, Hobbs 197 first class centuries, Compton's 18 hundreds in an English summer. These cant be done at the expense of one bad team having a bad day .

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bradman - 6 double centuries in 3 consecutive series.
Bradman - 9 centuries in consecutive matches that he batted in.
Bradman - play over 50 Tests and average over 50 in every single series.
Bradman - 4 Test matches per double century.
Tich Freeman 304 wickets in an English First-class season.

It would be amazing if anyone broke any of those Bradman records. Tich Freeman's record is to all intents and purposes unbreakable unless the first class schedule was increased dramatically - this would require the highly unlikely abolishment of one-day cricket.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
George Lohmann's career bowling average of 10.76 for someone taking more than 100 test wickets.

Lohmann's career strike rate of 34.2 balls per wicket for over 100 test wickets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Middlesex 'twins' , Edrich and Compton's combined total of 7355 Runs for the English summer of 1947 !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs records in first class cricket FROM HIS 40TH YEAR ONWARDS !!

1922 2,552 runs average 62.24
1923 2,087 runs average 37.94
1924 2,094 runs average 58.16
1925 3,024 runs average 70.32
1926 2,949 runs average 77.60
1927 1,641 runs average 52.93
1928 2,542 runs average 82.00

PY

International Coach
Blimey, we have a statistician on a mission here haven't we? :)

The way Hobbs elongated his career so long is quite incredible. :cool2:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
Blimey, we have a statistician on a mission here haven't we? :)
Well one final one for Hobbs. 61,760 runs in first class cricket.

It is said that towards the end of his career he would get out after scoring a 100 to conserve his energy !! Played till 48 ! Between his 40th birthday and retirement scored over 2400 runs in TESTS at 58 per innings ! I am fascinated by his stats !

Last edited: