• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kippax's Firebirds and Wellington Club Cricket Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All I see is more reason to play Wagner in the UAE.
I think you're misreading that. The clip isn't from the UAE (pretty sure it's in NZ somewhere - U19 World Cup). Kippax is just saying he's glad the NZ selectors have picked him for the NZ A tour to the UAE, and that the weakness teased out in that clip will be much harder to exploit on the lower-bouncing pitches there than it was in NZ.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Couldn't resist replying, been a while. That clip with Weerasundara and Ravindra looks top quality cricket. The tall Indian opening bowlers have impressive action and upright seam. Looks like quality cricket played by our local boys In India.

nzfan

Nathan Smith on the tour too, would love to see where he's at with his bowling. He was a gun player a year or two ago.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
That clip with Weerasundara and Ravindra looks top quality cricket.
Yeah, I quickly boiled that down to its sweetest 34 seconds and stored it on my phone. It'll be ready for the next grumpy guy at a Wellington club cricket ground who insists Weerasundara only got into as many Wellington A squads as he did courtesy of being 'to the manor born' and his father having excellent cricket connections.

I think they may've only collected video of the third match vs. Andhra btw, which Neesham didn't play.

More video is now on their FB page though I see. Lauchie Johns looking like an excellent reserve wicket-keeper for the Firebirds the highlight of it for me.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I quickly boiled that down to its sweetest 34 seconds and stored it on my phone. It'll be ready for the next grumpy guy at a Wellington club cricket ground who insists Weerasundara only got into as many Wellington A squads as he did courtesy of being 'to the manor born' and his father having excellent cricket connections.
It probably has as much to do with him looking awesome as it does anything else. On a good day the bloke looks like an international player between backward point and extra cover. Obviously he has his weaknesses - both mental and technical - but you can see why Wellington have occasionally taken the opportunity to give him more cricket even in spite of them and mediocre club cricket returns. "High ceiling" as they say.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah how far would SLC administration have to fall before Jayawardene presents his godson Raki Weerasundara as an option, like a batting version of Nuwan Pradeep, that's what I want to know. A handful of ***y and traitorous shots in that arc between backward point and extra cover, bad strike rotation, quickly followed by a bit of a clubby dismissal.

We've got to conjure some narrative and rivalry into all the New Zealand hosts Sri Lanka series that lie ahead in our future somehow, this way seems as good as any. :cool:

nzfan

The glaring thing I notice between Ravindra and weerasundara is how simple Ravindra makes batting look. I've followed him for years now and not much has changed in terms of technique. He has a simple setup and over the years he's hitting the ball harder naturally. Weerasundara on the other hand looks like he's fiddled with technique consistently. Too much changes unsettles a player. It's like one step forward and two steps back. Looks like he's now keeping it simple. Hoping to see him in the firebirds setup now that Ravindra has leapt to the As. There's a void in firebirds batting and Weerasundara may be able to break in.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
Ravindra is contracted this season, so should be there or there abouts. Not sure if he'll open and take Papps spot though. Think Woodcock is doing the round again? With Neesham coming into the middle order, he might actually have to open to break the side. Hope that's the case.

nzfan

Ravindra is contracted this season, so should be there or there abouts. Not sure if he'll open and take Papps spot though. Think Woodcock is doing the round again? With Neesham coming into the middle order, he might actually have to open to break the side. Hope that's the case.
Forget contracted, he's now in NZ A team to Dubai meaning he's going to miss out two months of cricket for Firebirds or to put it better Firebirds are going to miss him in Oct-Nov. Besides there's also an A tour from India to NZ and if Ravindra goes well he'll probably be involved in that as well. It is expected of him to do well but his rise has been quite swift. I can only think of Vettori who was drafted into Black Caps based on a handful of first class games. Like Ravindra, Vettori made his first class debut vs England in 1997. It took very little time for Vettori to settle down in the black caps team. That said Ravindra's case is quite different, he's a batsman that can bowl or is it the other way around? Hard to tell as he seems near complete in both aspects. It may take couple of years for him to get into Black caps though as Santner is always around the corner and the batting is quite stacked at the moment at the top in most formats.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

A real college sport golden boy, not all that long ago. Johnson just didn't get the U19 World Cup appearance that might've helped him attract a bite from someone other than Wellington (suffered a major form slump just before the 2016 squad was chosen). Glad the Hutt Hawks are now around for someone like that, just to keep that hope for a domestic contract from being fully killed off.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh yeah nzfan, remember I'm very keen on a login being sent to kippaxcricket@gmail, if you figure out a way to wrangle it.

Last edited:

nzfan

A real college sport golden boy, not all that long ago. Johnson just didn't get the U19 World Cup appearance that might've helped him attract a bite from someone other than Wellington (suffered a major form slump just before the 2016 squad was chosen). Glad the Hutt Hawks are now around for someone like that, just to keep that hope for a domestic contract from being fully killed off.
Very good player, should be in the firebirds soon. There's going to be places by next year and this kid and Raki Weerasundara should be the next couple to play for firebirds.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

It seems the coaches over there haven't really tidied up his new ball pitch maps to the point where he'll be instantly great for the Firebirds. Instead they've kept him in a 'pace and action mechanics first, good pitch maps will come later' frame of mind.

nzfan

It seems the coaches over there haven't really tidied up his new ball pitch maps to the point where he'll be instantly great for the Firebirds. Instead they've kept him in a 'pace and action mechanics first, good pitch maps will come later' frame of mind.
I quite like that, it's not all that easy to bowl at good pace. We have enough that can land on a consistent area but lack the pace and magic balls. Really looking forward to Ben Sears playing this year, don't expect him to be instant hit but I'm guessing he'll be with the BCs with a year or max 2 if he's fit.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nice outswing for someone renouned for bowling quick. Carry to the keeper isn't amazing though I guess the pitch is fairly slow.