cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rules query - bowling/fielding

Cricket Spectator

Rules query - bowling/fielding

Had an idea at the nets the other night, and was pondering it's legality.

I was bowling very slow loopy offspin, and discovered that if i slowed them down enough, i could trot a reasonable way down the pitch before the ball got to the batsman. Is there anything actually wrong with running down the pitch (with the intent of pressuring the batsman as a fielder) after releasing the ball?
    I was thinking of sending down a very slow ball with little to no revs, then sprinting down and setting up at short leg to take the inevitable slog/

I realise this may not be the smartest move, but for now I'd just like to know if its any kind of legal, so i can think it through a bit better and maybe even use it in a game.
    On that note - are bowlers allowed to wear helmets?

Any help much appreciated.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    You canít run down the middle of the pitch, but if you were concentrating that hard on what youíre going to do after youíve bowled the ball youíre probably better off running to deep mid wicket so youíre closer to fetching the ball when it goes into the car park.
    Smudge likes this.

You can't run on the pitch beyond a certain point, so you'll need to get off the pitch first and then run towards the batsman on the strip next to it

Apart from that there is no problem
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

If you're going to do that you should try to lob the ball into the stumps over the batter's head.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    If you're going to do that you should try to lob the ball into the stumps over the batter's head.
    Would be a no-ball. A delivery crossing the batsman at his normal stance on the popping crease above waist height is a no-ball. If it goes on to hit the stumps it is still a no-ball, because the no-ball precedes whatever happens after that.

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    I can't even imagine the level of cricket you'd have to be playing for a delivery travelling slower to the other end of the pitch than you can run to be an potentially effective tool

But hey if you've found a batsman that won't hit it into the river laughing then go for it
    Daemon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I can't even imagine the level of cricket you'd have to be playing for a delivery travelling slower to the other end of the pitch than you can run to be an potentially effective tool

But hey if you've found a batsman that won't hit it into the river laughing then go for it
    For a ball to travel that slow to be a legal delivery, it would have to pitch really full - if it's short of a good length it would die after bouncing and not even reach the batsman.

To bowl a ball that slow and that full, it would need massive height, we're talking like 10 feet+ into the air in order to let it drop successfully down in front of the batsman.

If you loop a ball that high and that slow, if there is any wind it's going to catch the ball and cause it to wobble/drift around - so you need to be bowling a line just outside offstump to help prevent it being wide either side of the wicket.

So you've got a ball launched high into the air, dropping down, wobbling, so slow that a batsman has to put all the power into the shot himself.

IDK. Now that I think about it, I'd love to see someone actually bowl that ball to a reasonable batsman and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    For a ball to travel that slow to be a legal delivery, it would have to pitch really full - if it's short of a good length it would die after bouncing and not even reach the batsman.

To bowl a ball that slow and that full, it would need massive height, we're talking like 10 feet+ into the air in order to let it drop successfully down in front of the batsman.

If you loop a ball that high and that slow, if there is any wind it's going to catch the ball and cause it to wobble/drift around - so you need to be bowling a line just outside offstump to help prevent it being wide either side of the wicket.

So you've got a ball launched high into the air, dropping down, wobbling, so slow that a batsman has to put all the power into the shot himself.

IDK. Now that I think about it, I'd love to see someone actually bowl that ball to a reasonable batsman and see what happens.
    I can tell you what happens, you can literally do whatever you want with it.

Well I assume you walk down the wicket and just smash it on the full, but that's still a bit of a challenge if a ball just goes straight up and drops vertically straight down

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Lmao you can easily generate enough power to belt something like that for six. My coach can basically hit one handed sixes while giving fielding practice.

Pretty sure plenty of hong kong club cricketers would manage to get out to that tho.
    mr_mister likes this.

Well I assume you walk down the wicket and just smash it on the full, but that's still a bit of a challenge if a ball just goes straight up and drops vertically straight down
    You're adding a lot more intrigue to the scenario than there is in reality

It's wouldn't be a challenge, trust me

Jeremy Snape used to bowl a 'moon ball' at 40 mph in domestic T20s didn't he? Sounds basically like this from what I've heard, but I haven't seen any videos of it.

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Snape's guide to Twenty20 bowling

I try to assess the situation but every ball is different and variety is the key.

This "moon-ball" that I bowl is a bit like Russian roulette - if it goes wrong at 40mph it can look pretty stupid because you can get hit out of the park.

But when you get it right it creates so much doubt in a batsman's mind that it can mess up their other shots as well.

It came out of bowling in the nets - I just lobbed it up as a test and people struggled to hit it.

When they did connect it was in more predictable areas, which means you can set a field to it.

I'd take that with a grain of salt, but even then 40mph is a lot quicker than people can run
    zorax likes this.

Is it even possible to bowl it slower than 40 mph. And if it was, has any batsman actually faced such bowling and been able to hit it? Have you? I know I've probably not faced anything slower than that - the only times I've batted to a bowler who struggles to get it across the pitch I know that personally, I haven't be able to generate a lot of power behind the shot. But I'm a crap batsman.

I just haven't seen any good batsman in that scenario either.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Whenever I have the occasional bowl the team I'm playing in must already be in diabolical trouble, so there's nothing to lose. I often bowl these sorts of things as a variation, because it's the only variation I have. But I always make a point of telling the batsman and umpire they're coming.

Picked up 3 fer filling in doing this sort of thing in November. The usual **** - set your field and say to the bloke at deep mid wicket "come in about ten for the one he doesn't quite get to and top edges" etc etc.

Anyway, I said to the batsman and umpire "Watch this - more air than Qantas" and tossed this thing about 8-9 feet in the air. He ran down the deck, but there was a huge cross wind and it drifted away (completely by accident). He missed it and Burgeinho took an easy stumping. Another bloke tried to pull one and missed it - lbw, a third hit one straight to said deep mid wicket. Was pretty funny.

I mean, we lost by ten wickets, but 3-14 off four is decent.
    zorax likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information