Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 88
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Australia's Future - The Real Tests

  1. #1
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334

    Australia's Future - The Real Tests

    There is a lot of positivity, not only among Australian fans but also the Australian players following this Ashes. They are at their highest in years BUT there are some serious questions that will be asked of Smith, the Marsh bros, Khawaja, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and Cummins in SA during the month of March. 4 tests, in quick succession, against a side that beat them in their own backyard. Have all of these players matured into a side that can win away as they did the last time in SA, or will they fold?

    Then, things only get tougher, with an expected tour of the UAE in October. Australia were hammered last time out and looked hapless in Asia in general. Pakistan now lack their two great generals but still have a bowling unit perfectly suited for those conditions. Yasir Shah is a menace and they will likely play a second spinner. Australia's talisman, Smith, has not done so well in away tests against Pakistan, probably having his weakest record against them. Can he turn it around? How useful will Starc be? Can Lyon be as effective?

    If Australia come through this sternest of away seasons, winning or at least drawing in the UAE and avenging SA, then they are, in my humble opinion, the top test side this year.

    Let's see what this team can do, because the tough tests are just beginning.

  2. #2
    International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by oblongballs View Post
    There is a lot of positivity, not only among Australian fans but also the Australian players following this Ashes. They are at their highest in years BUT there are some serious questions that will be asked of Smith, the Marsh bros, Khawaja, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and Cummins in SA during the month of March. 4 tests, in quick succession, against a side that beat them in their own backyard. Have all of these players matured into a side that can win away as they did the last time in SA, or will they fold?

    Then, things only get tougher, with an expected tour of the UAE in October. Australia were hammered last time out and looked hapless in Asia in general. Pakistan now lack their two great generals but still have a bowling unit perfectly suited for those conditions. Yasir Shah is a menace and they will likely play a second spinner. Australia's talisman, Smith, has not done so well in away tests against Pakistan, probably having his weakest record against them. Can he turn it around? How useful will Starc be? Can Lyon be as effective?

    If Australia come through this sternest of away seasons, winning or at least drawing in the UAE and avenging SA, then they are, in my humble opinion, the top test side this year.

    Let's see what this team can do, because the tough tests are just beginning.
    He's only played 2 Tests. And he averaged over 40 anyway. Which was about his career average at the time, it was before he kicked off his current run of form that started with the Indian series.

    Just saying.

  3. #3
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    goole
    Posts
    333
    They beat SA last two or three times when they toured.

    And Smith was still a leg spinner when he toured UAE last time iirc.

  4. #4
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    They beat SA last two or three times when they toured.

    And Smith was still a leg spinner when he toured UAE last time iirc.
    This revisionism.. No he damn well wasn't. Only wound up bowling during Misbah's record fast century iirc. And he averaged less than thirty just last year in Bangladesh.
    oblongballs likes this.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    54,560
    TBF to the OP, I won't be sold on Smith's greatness either until he makes a double hundred against Warne and Murali while batting in a crater on Mars.

    "This is the test for Steve Smith. He has to blah blah blah". Spare me this ****. He's done well everywhere. Fancy citing an away average of over 40 in one country with a sample size of two tests to indicate he's unproven. **** took down India in India ffs. The hardest part of touring the UAE for TPC will be the unavailability of a celebratory beer after he makes another double hundred.

    Edit: I see Tec15 has popped in with his usual brand of positivity too. Bit light on the snark and dickishness by usual standards, but the day is but young.
    Last edited by Burgey; 10-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    ImpatientLime likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  6. #6
    International Captain stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    6,291
    The SA tests will be awesome if both sides can keep their quicks on the park.

  7. #7
    International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    This revisionism.. No he damn well wasn't. Only wound up bowling during Misbah's record fast century iirc. And he averaged less than thirty just last year in Bangladesh.
    Do you have a point?

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    54,560
    Doubtful

  9. #9
    International Debutant Slifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,261
    I fully expect RSA to choke and Oz to beat them away. RSA hasn't won at home vs Oz since readmission. In UAE is a toss up for me. Then I believe they're home to India; anything less than 2-0 (I assume they're playing 4 tests) should be considered a failure.

    Steve Smith has nothing left to prove. He's made runs before in: RSA, England and India. The teams with the toughest attacks outside his own. Wish him well in these upcoming tours.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member quincywagstaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,059
    Re: Australia in Asia, I think what bodes well for them in the past 12 months is that for the first time in a generation, their batsmen have been trying to reign in their egos and bat in an attritional manner instead of their patented attacking style and thinking whatever works in Oz will work anywhere. It didn't work all the time in India and Bangladesh but the signs were promising.

  11. #11
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    46,952
    i feel that oblongballs isn't aware of what actually happened on the india tour at all
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

    forever 63*

  12. #12
    Gob
    Gob is offline
    International Regular Gob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    banana stand
    Posts
    3,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    This revisionism.. No he damn well wasn't. Only wound up bowling during Misbah's record fast century iirc. And he averaged less than thirty just last year in Bangladesh.
    538 posts of pointlessness
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

    Virat-Vaughan-Amla

  13. #13
    Gob
    Gob is offline
    International Regular Gob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    banana stand
    Posts
    3,475
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    He's only played 2 Tests. And he averaged over 40 anyway. Which was about his career average at the time, it was before he kicked off his current run of form that started with the Indian series.

    Just saying.
    Made 97 or something but also got a duck which ****ed his average

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    24,848
    Lol at people getting so defensive over Smith. OP said absolutely nothing about Smith needing to 'prove himself'. Garbage posting.
    Last edited by Daemon; 11-01-2018 at 12:29 AM.
    OverratedSanity and zorax like this.

  15. #15
    Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    26,204
    Imagine taking one sentence from the OP's post and getting your panties in a twist. Rubbish posting.

    Their biggest test of the past year was the India tour where they did way better than expected. I think they have a serious shot at winning in the UAE as Pakistan post Younis-Misbah look very mediocre. They'll have a great shot in England too... Anderson will be near the end by then, probably Cook too.
    vcs likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australia v India ODI future tour
    By Platty in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-06-2017, 04:23 PM
  2. Australia's Future Fast Bowlers
    By Ted Sheppard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-11-2014, 03:31 AM
  3. Australia v Pakistan Tests
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 03:02 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 28-07-2009, 12:10 PM
  5. Ganguly to retire after Australia Tests.
    By pup11 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-10-2008, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •