Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Australia's Future - The Real Tests

U19 Debutant

Australia's Future - The Real Tests

There is a lot of positivity, not only among Australian fans but also the Australian players following this Ashes. They are at their highest in years BUT there are some serious questions that will be asked of Smith, the Marsh bros, Khawaja, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and Cummins in SA during the month of March. 4 tests, in quick succession, against a side that beat them in their own backyard. Have all of these players matured into a side that can win away as they did the last time in SA, or will they fold?

Then, things only get tougher, with an expected tour of the UAE in October. Australia were hammered last time out and looked hapless in Asia in general. Pakistan now lack their two great generals but still have a bowling unit perfectly suited for those conditions. Yasir Shah is a menace and they will likely play a second spinner. Australia's talisman, Smith, has not done so well in away tests against Pakistan, probably having his weakest record against them. Can he turn it around? How useful will Starc be? Can Lyon be as effective?

If Australia come through this sternest of away seasons, winning or at least drawing in the UAE and avenging SA, then they are, in my humble opinion, the top test side this year.

Let's see what this team can do, because the tough tests are just beginning.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oblongballs View Post
    There is a lot of positivity, not only among Australian fans but also the Australian players following this Ashes. They are at their highest in years BUT there are some serious questions that will be asked of Smith, the Marsh bros, Khawaja, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon and Cummins in SA during the month of March. 4 tests, in quick succession, against a side that beat them in their own backyard. Have all of these players matured into a side that can win away as they did the last time in SA, or will they fold?

Then, things only get tougher, with an expected tour of the UAE in October. Australia were hammered last time out and looked hapless in Asia in general. Pakistan now lack their two great generals but still have a bowling unit perfectly suited for those conditions. Yasir Shah is a menace and they will likely play a second spinner. Australia's talisman, Smith, has not done so well in away tests against Pakistan, probably having his weakest record against them. Can he turn it around? How useful will Starc be? Can Lyon be as effective?

If Australia come through this sternest of away seasons, winning or at least drawing in the UAE and avenging SA, then they are, in my humble opinion, the top test side this year.

Let's see what this team can do, because the tough tests are just beginning.
    He's only played 2 Tests. And he averaged over 40 anyway. Which was about his career average at the time, it was before he kicked off his current run of form that started with the Indian series.

Just saying.

U19 Debutant
    They beat SA last two or three times when they toured.

And Smith was still a leg spinner when he toured UAE last time iirc.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    They beat SA last two or three times when they toured.

And Smith was still a leg spinner when he toured UAE last time iirc.
    This revisionism.. No he damn well wasn't. Only wound up bowling during Misbah's record fast century iirc. And he averaged less than thirty just last year in Bangladesh.
    oblongballs likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    TBF to the OP, I won't be sold on Smith's greatness either until he makes a double hundred against Warne and Murali while batting in a crater on Mars.

"This is the test for Steve Smith. He has to blah blah blah". Spare me this ****. He's done well everywhere. Fancy citing an away average of over 40 in one country with a sample size of two tests to indicate he's unproven. **** took down India in India ffs. The hardest part of touring the UAE for TPC will be the unavailability of a celebratory beer after he makes another double hundred.

Edit: I see Tec15 has popped in with his usual brand of positivity too. Bit light on the snark and dickishness by usual standards, but the day is but young.
    Last edited by Burgey; 10-01-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    ImpatientLime likes this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

The SA tests will be awesome if both sides can keep their quicks on the park.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    This revisionism.. No he damn well wasn't. Only wound up bowling during Misbah's record fast century iirc. And he averaged less than thirty just last year in Bangladesh.
    Do you have a point?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Doubtful

I fully expect RSA to choke and Oz to beat them away. RSA hasn't won at home vs Oz since readmission. In UAE is a toss up for me. Then I believe they're home to India; anything less than 2-0 (I assume they're playing 4 tests) should be considered a failure.

Steve Smith has nothing left to prove. He's made runs before in: RSA, England and India. The teams with the toughest attacks outside his own. Wish him well in these upcoming tours.

Cricket Web Staff Member quincywagstaff's Avatar
    Re: Australia in Asia, I think what bodes well for them in the past 12 months is that for the first time in a generation, their batsmen have been trying to reign in their egos and bat in an attritional manner instead of their patented attacking style and thinking whatever works in Oz will work anywhere. It didn't work all the time in India and Bangladesh but the signs were promising.

i feel that oblongballs isn't aware of what actually happened on the india tour at all
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Gob
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    538 posts of pointlessness
    Dead Dove Do Not Eat

Virat-Vaughan-Amla

Gob
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    He's only played 2 Tests. And he averaged over 40 anyway. Which was about his career average at the time, it was before he kicked off his current run of form that started with the Indian series.

Just saying.
    Made 97 or something but also got a duck which ****ed his average

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Lol at people getting so defensive over Smith. OP said absolutely nothing about Smith needing to 'prove himself'. Garbage posting.
    Last edited by Daemon; 11-01-2018 at 12:29 AM.
    OverratedSanity and zorax like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Imagine taking one sentence from the OP's post and getting your panties in a twist. Rubbish posting.

Their biggest test of the past year was the India tour where they did way better than expected. I think they have a serious shot at winning in the UAE as Pakistan post Younis-Misbah look very mediocre. They'll have a great shot in England too... Anderson will be near the end by then, probably Cook too.
    vcs likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information