• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Wanted Big Vern to take 5 to get to 200 wickets in this innings. Looks like it will not be happening now.:(

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Guaranteed 1st/2nd slipper for SA in the future... I also wonder if Elgar might get skipped over and Markram given captaincy in 2 years or so. See where he is as a batsmen then.
I thought that was a foregone conclusion given he was already made captain against India?

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Guaranteed 1st/2nd slipper for SA in the future... I also wonder if Elgar might get skipped over and Markram given captaincy in 2 years or so. See where he is as a batsmen then.
Markram will definitely take over from Faf. No need to make Elgar a transitional captain .

SeamUp

International Coach
Would hate too lose him in front of the wicket but the above two will happen in my opinion.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think Keshav is close to being our 2nd best spinner of all-time ?

Ok Faulkner, Vogler are there early days and isolation we had Hobson/Kourie (both were regarded extremely highly) but right now he is our best since re-admission easily and I think it is now between him and his fellow Durbanite Hugh Tayfield for the best.
If he keeps going at the rate he is he'll surpass Tayfield's tally before too long, and he'll have done it on a lot of South African wickets that may not have been as spin-friendly as the ones that Tayfield bowled on. The fast bowlers are the ones making all the headlines, but Maharaj has consistently been in the wickets - 70 at 27.7 is no mean feat.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Not quite sure about foregone... Elgar was next in line but he may not want it and/or happy to play a senior v-cap role rather.
Markram's one of those players who's captained form an early age, whereas I don't think Elgar has. So I suspect Elgar would do the job if asked, but it's not a situation like we had with AB where he wanted to be captain despite not being the best for the job.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If he keeps going at the rate he is he'll surpass Tayfield's tally before too long, and he'll have done it on a lot of South African wickets that may not have been as spin-friendly as the ones that Tayfield bowled on. The fast bowlers are the ones making all the headlines, but Maharaj has consistently been in the wickets - 70 at 27.7 is no mean feat.
Avg 27 having played on largely SA pitches, as a holding spinner behind a pretty impressive pace attack. Could not ask for more.

Would hate too lose him in front of the wicket but the above two will happen in my opinion.
Yep.... I would actually like to see him move down the batting order as well to no. 4 after the expected retirements. I don't think of him as a natural opener more a 'best spot' to get into the SA team...

Tec15

First Class Debutant
He will also be important in the subcontinent in that his mere presence might give teams like India pause before serving up Nagpur 2015 wickets en masse again.