• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When will England win the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sehwag309

Banned
England introduced the game to the world, came close 3 times, didn't win it.

After '92, I have never heard England becoming a force in ODI's, it's all always been Aus, Ind, Pak, Lanka, SA

What is it? Their approach, lack of ODI games or they just choke in ODI games

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:

After '92, I have never heard England becoming a force in ODI's, it's all always been Aus, Ind, Pak, Lanka, SA

mmm...well India actually havent won all that much in the last 15 years in ODI

Deja moo

International Captain
One semifinal and one final appearance in 4 World cups since 92.

One ICC champions trophy victory and another runnrup position in the same.

A natwest victory.

A Hero cup victory.

The Titan cup.

Making it to the finals of the last 10 multination tournaments india has been involved in.

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
Cmon man, ..atleast more than England. OK, leave India outta the picture, but england has never been a force in ODI's, I was interested in opinions

Sehwag309

Banned
orangepitch said:
One semifinal and one final appearance in 4 World cups since 92.

One ICC champions trophy victory and another runnrup position in the same.

A natwest victory.

A Hero cup victory.

The Titan cup.

Making it to the finals of the last 10 multination tournaments india has been involved in.
Sharjah (Aus and Zim)

Samsung cup

Waughney

International Debutant
Sehwag309 said:

England don't have anything special about them. Australia had a full unit with match savers and match winners. You have seen Srilanka win the world cup with a team with a similar ability, but they had the Jayasuria-Kulawitharana plan which gave them that edge. Pakistan was packed with talent. England doesnt have anything like that.

Swervy

International Captain
nobody cares about these ten a penny tournaments...yeah England have won Sharjah..and England won the Natwest last year.

There is one tournament in ODI that is worth anything and that is the world cup..teams have once every 4 years to prove their worth,get it right then,and you are world champs..simple as.

India may have got to the final of the last world cup, but for what???All that did was show that India have along way to go to come anywhere near winning the World Cup and so means jack.

India have a shocking finals record in most tournaments, which would suggest that it is India that are the chokers..England cant get to the finals which suggests that they dont have the talent (although i think if it wasnt for the Zimb fiasco, England could well have got to the semi's)

Waughney

International Debutant
Isn't this thread supposed to about "When will England win the world cup?"
Lets get back on the subject.
edit: sorry swervy didn't see your comment

Swervy

International Captain
Waughney said:
Isn't this thread supposed to about "When will England win the world cup?"
Lets get back on the subject.

ok..england have just a good a chance of winning in 2007 as any other team apart from Australia

Deja moo

International Captain
and England won the Natwest last year
If you play the Natwest evry yr, ure bound to win one eventually.

India may have got to the final of the last world cup, but for what???All that did was show that India have along way to go to come anywhere near winning the World Cup and so means jack.
Sorry for thinking that making it to the WC final actually meant something.

India have a shocking finals record in most tournaments, which would suggest that it is India that are the chokers..
Once again the choker thing comes up...

India have pretty much a 50-50 record in knockout games. india beat Australia twice in 2 ICC Champions trophy games. Beat South Africa twice in 2 ICC champions trophy games. beat NZl in what was practically a nkockout to reach the final of the TVS cup.
India win pretty much half the number of knockout situations they face , and that does not mean choking.

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
nobody cares about these ten a penny tournaments...yeah England have won Sharjah..and England won the Natwest last year.

There is one tournament in ODI that is worth anything and that is the world cup..teams have once every 4 years to prove their worth,get it right then,and you are world champs..simple as.

India have a shocking finals record in most tournaments, which would suggest that it is India that are the chokers..England cant get to the finals which suggests that they dont have the talent (although i think if it wasnt for the Zimb fiasco, England could well have got to the semi's)
Again, why u pulling India in it? I never compared India/Eng. :blink:

Swervy

International Captain
what you on about>>>>

since 2000 India have lost loads of tournaments in which three or fours teams have taken part...they have only won one...infact the recent win vs Pakistan was Indias first ODI series win since that Natwest win in June 2002

Swervy

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
Again, why u pulling India in it? I never compared India/Eng. :blink:

you listed India in the teams that have won stuff since 1992...and you are an Indian fan...so i picked up on India..i could have talked about Pakistan, SA etc.

When it comes down to it, the only countries that have won anything worth talking about are Sri lanka and Australia.

As I say England have just as good a chance of winning the next WC as anyone (apart from Australia who are streets ahead of the following pack)

Sehwag309

Banned
Swervy said:
you listed India in the teams that have won stuff since 1992...and you are an Indian fan...so i picked up on India..i could have talked about Pakistan, SA etc.

When it comes down to it, the only countries that have won anything worth talking about are Sri lanka and Australia.

As I say England have just as good a chance of winning the next WC as anyone (apart from Australia who are streets ahead of the following pack)
How do you know I am only an indian fan, I could be a fan of England as well.

I mentioned India, as they are in the reckon in ODI's. England isn't (..that much)

PY

International Coach
I think that England have a chance at the 2007 if we keep a team roughly stable for the next 3 years and the new guys fit in the current framework.

But as Swervy says, I think we have as good a chance as anyone else at WC 2007. Let's not forget where the games are being played and where we are touring currently and doing pretty good.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Waughney said:
How? Explain
In general, the way in which teams win World Cups is to win enough games to get them into the later stages, and then to win enough of those games to get into the Final, and then win the Final. This is probably the plan which England will attempt to implement in 2007, especially as it has worked for all the previous World Cup winners.

It's quite likely that several of the other teams will be trying the same thing.

I suspect, though, that this answer will not entirely fulfil your need for enlightnement. Perhaps you would care to define the question a bit more narrowly so that we can focus on your specific concerns.

Cheers,

Mike

tooextracool

International Coach
england had their best chance in 92 for me. they had an excellent all round team with in form players. pakistan were lucky to have progressed into the semis despite having nearly lost to england in the league stages(if only the rain hadnt...).
i thought in 2003 they were one of the better teams in the tournament,definetly deserved to reach the semis and lets not forget that they nearly beat australia in the league stages(came closest amongst all the teams in the entire competition).i still believe that hussain made a really big blunder in not saving a few overs for craig white till then end, he was the best bowler for me in that english attack.needless to say if england had faced kenya in the semis and australia in the finals they would have put on a better show than india did.

Status
Not open for further replies.