Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is Hashim Amla an ATG?

  1. #16
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    10,968
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Setting a very low bar for ATG spinners....
    Could make it "would make a SL ATG XI" .... but then it becomes tough on the spinners and easy for the pacers.


    On the mighty Hash... his next 3 to 4 years will determine his ATG status, if he does a Sanga and pushes his game back into the best of the best in the world then I would give him a place in the SA XI and could argue his ATG status...
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

    "I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

  2. #17
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    12,186
    Can’t see him slotting into SA AT XI with Kallis and Pollock at 3/4 pretty locked in imo

  3. #18
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    10,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Can’t see him slotting into SA AT XI with Kallis and Pollock at 3/4 pretty locked in imo
    If you needed could drop Kallis and Pollock to 4/5, that would threaten Faulkner`s position at 6... with Proctor at 7 how many allrounders do you need? But let him get to that status before the argument/discussion even starts!
    OverratedSanity likes this.

  4. #19
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Europe, on the outside looking in
    Posts
    20,101
    For me part of being an ATG is that you remember them for stunning individual performance rather than statistics - thus Amla's numbers are not too different from Brian Lara's, but the difference is Lara is an ATG in any currency, Amla only in Rand


  5. #20
    Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    33,012
    Amla's played tons of really memorable innings. The 196 at Perth possibly his most glorious.

    Obviously comparing anyone with Lara on that aspect is unfair and just a bit silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

  6. #21
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    10,968
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    For me part of being an ATG is that you remember them for stunning individual performance rather than statistics - thus Amla's numbers are not too different from Brian Lara's, but the difference is Lara is an ATG in any currency, Amla only in Rand
    While I dont disagree with you, he is easily discarded sometimes. Largely, I think, because of his unassuming nature. He scored SA`s first triple century against a pretty decent Eng attack away from home I remember that pretty well... I also remember the 253 at Nagpur... so he has some pretty good individual performances. He has been a rock in a SA team that included Smith, Kallis and ABdV out performing them often...

  7. #22
    Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    33,012
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    While I dont disagree with you, he is easily discarded sometimes. Largely, I think, because of his unassuming nature. He scored SA`s first triple century against a pretty decent Eng attack away from home I remember that pretty well... I also remember the 253 at Nagpur... so he has some pretty good individual performances. He has been a rock in a SA team that included Smith, Kallis and ABdV out performing them often...
    His hundred at Kolkata in the very next test was amazing. One of the very best rearguards I've ever seen. Almost took the number 1 ranking away from India singlehandedly.
    StephenZA and vcs like this.

  8. #23
    International Coach weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    14,998
    definitely an ODI ATG imo (it's not outrageous to say he may even open with Tendulkar in ODI all-time world XI)....

    But I agree with others that he needs a solid 3-4 more years pushing his limits to become a test ATG
    Last edited by weldone; 14-10-2017 at 04:05 AM.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

  9. #24
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    10,968
    The last Indian tour and his struggles since then has taken the gloss of his career, he was easily a SA ATG till then... this is why he needs to step up again for SA over the next few years.

  10. #25
    International Vice-Captain a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    4,188
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    For me part of being an ATG is that you remember them for stunning individual performance rather than statistics - thus Amla's numbers are not too different from Brian Lara's, but the difference is Lara is an ATG in any currency, Amla only in Rand
    Can you remember any of Jacques Kallis' stunning individual performances? If not, would you honestly argue he is not an ATG?
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  11. #26
    Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elton Chicken Burrah
    Posts
    33,012
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    The last Indian tour and his struggles since then has taken the gloss of his career, he was easily a SA ATG till then... this is why he needs to step up again for SA over the next few years.
    I still think he's done quite decently since then though. He wasn't amazing vs England in both the home or away series but still produced a few really key innings. He isn't dominating like he was back in 2010-12 but he's still probably your best batsman. I think that's ultimately what sets the ATGs apart though... Lengthy dominant peaks of 7-8 years where they pound every team in sight. Amla was doing it but it ended a tad earlier than I expected.
    vcs likes this.

  12. #27
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    10,968
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I still think he's done quite decently since then though. He wasn't amazing vs England in both the home or away series but still produced a few really key innings. He isn't dominating like he was back in 2010-12 but he's still probably your best batsman. I think that's ultimately what sets the ATGs apart though... Lengthy dominant peaks of 7-8 years where they pound every team in sight. Amla was doing it but it ended a tad earlier than I expected.
    He stopped scoring the big 100`s when we needed him most... after losing, Smith, Kallis and ABdV (unexpectedly). He has not done bad by normal standards but as you say not ATG standards. But he still has time to recover and also another shot at a WC in 2 years time.

  13. #28
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    23,227
    Was surprised to check his stats and saw he's been averaging 50 over the last couple of years.. thought it'd be a bit less than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

  14. #29
    International Coach StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    10,968
    He avg 42 in the last 2 yaers.... importantly, he avg less than 20 in both India and Aus recent tours. This could be considered an aberration but he has to show that now...

  15. #30
    International Debutant Coronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,624
    Define ATG.
    Daemon likes this.
    ATG Test XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.J Procter 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 19-05-2017, 07:40 PM
  2. Hashim Amla vs Kevin Pietersen
    By Chrish in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 29-11-2016, 04:57 AM
  3. Hashim Amla ~ Discussion
    By SaeedAnwar in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 20-03-2013, 04:12 PM
  4. Hashim Amla's Triple
    By Agent Nationaux in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24-07-2012, 11:49 PM
  5. Hashim Amla boring?
    By Mard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 05:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •