• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle For the Worst Opening Batsman of the 2000-Present Era.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson Charles is simply a poor man's Evin Lewis. At the beginning of his career, I thought that Lewis was just another hack, but his recent exploits have changed my opinion of him.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I had a look to see who each nation's worst opener has been in the time and came up with

Bangladesh - Mehrab Hossain
England - Adam Lyth
India - Aakash Chopra
New Zealand - Craig Cumming
Pakistan - Shan Masood
Sri Lanka - Lahiru Thirimanne
South Africa - Stiaan van Zyl
West Indies - Rajendra Chandrika
Zimbabwe - Stuart Matsikenyeri

The worst opener from Australia with more than a couple of innings is actually Ed Cowan, who averaged a just-about-acceptable 33. It's remarkable that not once in nearly 20 years have the Australians had a bloke come in at the top of the order for half a dozen tests and make a pig's ear of it, everyone else has had several.
Not Mehrab. I have not checked the stats but I remember well that Mehrab was talked up as the best bat to come out of Bangladesh in his time. But then faded away.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Came in to say this. West Indies have been the kings of terrible openers
England run them close.
Look at this rank and biased posting. How dare you take the undisputed title of most consistently useless test openers this century from its rightful and only holders, New Zealand.

Nicol, Spearman, H Marshall, Horne, Papps, Flynn, Redmond, Watling, How, J Marshall, Cumming, Fulton, Rutherford, Guptill, McIntosh, Vincent
... all averaged sub-30 in the opening position since 1 Jan 2000.

morgieb

Haha it's crazy the amount of countries that seem to produce terribad openers on demand. New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies, England post-Strauss, and that's not even counting Zimbabwe/Bangladesh!

TheJediBrah

Look at this rank and biased posting. How dare you take the undisputed title of most consistently useless test openers this century from its rightful and only holders, New Zealand.

Nicol, Spearman, H Marshall, Horne, Papps, Flynn, Redmond, Watling, How, J Marshall, Cumming, Fulton, Rutherford, Guptill, McIntosh, Vincent
**** me that's an impressive list

SillyCowCorner1

Whatever happened to Wasim Jaffer?

I thought that dude would be a great long term opening solution for India. If I can recall, he made a double century in tests?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Think Guptill should probably take the title based mainly on the fact he's opened so many more innings than anyone else on the list.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Whatever happened to Wasim Jaffer?

I thought that dude would be a great long term opening solution for India. If I can recall, he made a double century in tests?
Sehwag and Gambhir happened. Jaffer couldn't translate his domestic form to international cricket and then those 2 took over while he continued to dominate domestic.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Think Guptill should probably take the title based mainly on the fact he's opened so many more innings than anyone else on the list.
I am torn on this. Over his time opening he contributed the greatest aggregate quantity of ****ness, however he was also mainly selected because any potential replacements were even more **** than him on an individual basis.

It's really the ATG cricketweb debate on being a superstar for a short time vs longevity, but in reverse :happy:.