• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2017/18

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, check out the text book Guptill dismissal to van Beek. Needs to be linked to every time the "Guptill might actually work if we bat him at 5" argument is made.
Haha I agree, but the funny thing is that I'd think "Guptill might actually work if we just try him in ODIs" sounded just as silly if I didn't already know that it works.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It's all on in Plunket Shield again.

Wellington will need to chase about 300 in 5 sessions. Still 1 wicket to get yet ......

Athlai

Not Terrible
I also definitely goofed by not running a domestic selector. I feel like I know so much less about the players than a typical season.

The Hutt Rec

I’d all but given up after the last round and been distracted by the test the last two days, but this could actually be a final round miracle for Wellington. :o

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It took him a while but Jeets finally seems to have gotten the knack for Plunket Shield. 36 wickets at 22 apiece. Wonder how much longer he'll go on for?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guptill will replace Raval again. It has been foretold.
Why do you continue to hate on this man? He may have been a myth this summer but people sure as heck have seen the guy.

It seems like this is wrong to me.

Make Guptill do a McCullum impression at 5 for the rest of his career and it'll go swell I bet. Trying to play test cricket is his first and only error for Marty.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why do you continue to hate on this man? He may have been a myth this summer but people sure as heck have seen the guy.

It seems like this is wrong to me.

Make Guptill do a McCullum impression at 5 for the rest of his career and it'll go swell I bet. Trying to play test cricket is his first and only error for Marty.
A lot of myths have some mild basis in truth.

vandem

International 12th Man
Wellington's experienced openers gone. Their last season? Started with a bang, 316* and 154. Ended with a whipmer, 1, 17, 10, 7 to Ferguson and Lister.

Don't think Wgtn could have got to 294 without one of them grinding out a 70+.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Wellington's strength has been their bowling rather than batting - can't see them chasing this from 96/3, even if Auckland's attack is a little over-reliant on Ferguson.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm pretty sure I picked up van Beek in almost every domestic selector, and he typically earns absolutely no points. Well look at him now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whaaaat? How can you only ironically like Woodcock. He's everything thats great about NZ domestic cricket. A bits and pieces no rounder that converts themselves into an opener and consistently gets inexplicably good results. If they had exactly the same numbers and were a 25 year old, the whole country would be crying out for their Blackcaps call up, but since it's Luke Woodcock and we all know it's Luke Woodcock, no one says anything.

It's great.
I completely agree, but to me this is the perfect situation for ironically liking a player. You can talk about how Woodcock is a complete gun and/or desperately unlucky not to have played any Tests with some convenient facts on your side, and everyone will play along in the conversation even though deep down we know it's not really true and he's just made the most of his limited ability to hack a relatively poor standard of professional cricket. This is classic ironic like IMO.

Immenso

Match Finished Day 3, 2nd Session
WELLINGTON FIREBIRDS 168/7d (53.0 ov)
WELLINGTON FIREBIRDS require 126 runs to win with 3 wickets in hand and 125.0 overs remaining
what?