Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Four-day test cricket

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    It doesn't really happen anywhere.
    I like to labour under the impression that other countries pitches wear better for some reason, even if it isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I just don't get the point. How is 4 day test cricket going to produce any 'renewed interest' in the test format? That's what their aim is but if anyone isn't interested in sitting down and watching 5 days of cricket, then they won't be interested in a 4 day game either.

It's a graph which intentionally cuts off more than half the Y-axis to present a misleading image.
    Yeah, I wasn't too irked about the y-axis thing tbh because that's pretty standard practice when you're trying to make a point (especially one that's isn't quite all there)

Although, I wonder how different the graph looks if you took out tests involving Zimbabwe and Bangladesh? I'm guessing the drop would be less pronounced
    Follow me @cricket_gc, should you want to learn more of my cricketing thoughts and opinions, or read them in more detail on my blog: https://gccricket.wordpress.com

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    They hate the first-class game, the ECB. They hate it because it does not make as much money these days in comparison to the twenty20 stuff and money is all they care about. They hate it because traditionalists/purists love it who do not bring in as much money as families and lads-on-the-piss. They hate it because it does not have people in hot tubs, fireworks, trampolines and guys on motorbikes, that is that it is not a shiny new thing to flog to broadcasters (i.e. sky). It might interest you that the ECB are also buggering up the county championship, reducing it by two games per team and putting all of the twenty20 on in the high summer, as well as stopping internationals such as Broad and Root from playing for their counties.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    The main reason given is that they can schedule more matches. So in another 25 years time, another genius , likely from the ECB, will come up with the masterstroke that is 3 day tests. T20 taking up more time out of the international calendar is a problem and all it does, even if the reason they mentioned were true (and it is not), they are simply fixing a symptom.
    Yes, I can see that happening. Although, by then, T20 would be struggling to maintain relevance to the new & exciting T10, featuring Android bowling machines.
    honestbharani likes this.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    ...on artificial pitches (which is another hair brained ECB scheme).

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijed View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't too irked about the y-axis thing tbh because that's pretty standard practice when you're trying to make a point (especially one that's isn't quite all there)

Although, I wonder how different the graph looks if you took out tests involving Zimbabwe and Bangladesh? I'm guessing the drop would be less pronounced
    Not that different imo. The main reason is because of teams being piss poor away from home.

International Coach
    Complete nonsense of an idea. Fully expect the next brain child to be to limit the first innings to 100 overs.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    If it's just to please the bean counters they could always write it in to the playing conditions that if the game finishes in four days they have a T20 international on the scheduled fifth day

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Complete nonsense of an idea. Fully expect the next brain child to be to limit the first innings to 100 overs.
    I've seen this idea suggested many places and it never gets less stupid. It would encourage negative tactics from the bowling side and be absolutely farcical.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    If it's just to please the bean counters they could always write it in to the playing conditions that if the game finishes in four days they have a T20 international on the scheduled fifth day
    Make that a red-ball T20. I'd wouldn't mind seeing that, although I'm sure the novelty would soon wear off.
    honestbharani likes this.

International Debutant
    They had that rule in county cricket in the late 70s (though I think the side batting second got the "extra" overs if they bowled out the side batting first in under 100 overs) - can anyone remember if this had farcical results?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Having had some first-hand experience working with Cricket administration, albeit just at associate level, it absolutely boggles me how those in charge of leading the game in major nations seem to dislike the game so much.

Why are they working in it and who has signed off on them getting these roles? It's really just shocking that anyone from the ECB would even suggest this, let alone try and make this a thing
    Last edited by zorax; 24-09-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    They had that rule in county cricket in the late 70s (though I think the side batting second got the "extra" overs if they bowled out the side batting first in under 100 overs) - can anyone remember if this had farcical results?
    Three day County Cricket was a complete farce in those days. You would get two days of good competitive cricket, but if the match was going nowhere the captains would get together on the final morning and agree a target with forfeiting of innings and bowling full tosses and crap to produce runs to attain the target they'd agreed to set.

Bounce-backability also seems to have been lost to the game. SA probably shown the best of it in recent times but being able to fight for the win and draw is all part of the drama 5 days brings.

Something I noticed in the recent Eng vs Saf series was all tests were won by the team winning the toss and batting and getting in front. In a way the game of test cricket is being effected but I hope no more stupid ideas like this are brought in to effect the nuances of test cricket.

In all domestic 4-day series teams do well to get 96-overs in if they do and now they expect 105 with DRS ? Ludicrous.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 24-09-2017 at 05:42 AM.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

International Debutant
    Three day County Cricket was a complete farce in those days. You would get two days of good competitive cricket, but if the match was going nowhere the captains would get together on the final morning and agree a target with forfeiting of innings and bowling full tosses and crap to produce runs to attain the target they'd agreed to set.
    Going on a bit of a tangent here, but I don't think "declaration bowling" - as opposed to early declarations (that you probably wouldn't see in a Test) to keep the match alive - was as common as people remember it as being... skimming through the 1988 Wisden*, most of the results involved a side taking 20 wickets, and most of the rest involved normal bowling plus declarations/forfeitures.

*it's the only one I have with all 3-day county matches.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    In 1966 some County Championship matches had the first innings limited to 65 overs - Wisden seems to conclude it did give the openers the hurry up, but clearly didn't accomplish much as it wasn't persisted with

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information