• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh Tour of South Africa 2017

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
19 yo Michael Cohen just ripped through the Bangers middle order. Currently got 4-17
Saw this... was thinking to myself that if the invitational U21 team is giving problems in Benoni, then Bangladesh is not as far along as I expected. But it is just a warm-up can't read to much into it.

SeamUp

International Coach
Saw this... was thinking to myself that if the invitational U21 team is giving problems in Benoni, then Bangladesh is not as far along as I expected. But it is just a warm-up can't read to much into it.
Yeah tough to judge on the Bangers.

Suppose the positive is seeing how these youngsters stand up to the ocassion.

SeamUp

International Coach
Markram to debut. Shoot-out between Olivier and Parnell. Phehlukwayo shouldn't be wasting his time carrying drinks when he hasn't cracked the level below yet.

SA squad for first Test: Faf du Plessis (capt), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, Dean Elgar, Keshav Maharaj , Aiden Markram, Morne Morkel, Duanne Olivier, Wayne Parnell, Andile Phehlukwayo, Kagiso Rabada

SeamUp

International Coach
Also. Let the kid develop. This is too soon.

Nineteen-year-old Lions allrounder Willem Mulder has been invited as cover for Parnell, who will undergo a fitness test next week. If Parnell is fit, Mulder will return to the Lions team for the Sunfoil Series.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I get why they're looking at Phehlukwayo as a future prospect, but he really needs to be playing first class cricket and not hanging about in the dressing room.

I definitely wouldn't be disappointed not to have Parnell in the test squad, although I wouldn't want to wish injury on a player, but agree that it's too early for Mulder - he's only played 7 first class matches (8 including the one currently on the go).

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I get why they're looking at Phehlukwayo as a future prospect, but he really needs to be playing first class cricket and not hanging about in the dressing room.

I see that Wiaan Mulder has been picked as cover for Parnell in the event the latter fails a fitness test. While I don't want to wish injury on a player, I definitely wouldn't be disappointed not to have Parnell in the test squad.
A non-seasonal tour to England was perfect for Phehlukwayo but now he needs runs and wickets. It is the currency that matters. Just hope they release him and Olivier/Parnell is enough for 12th-man duties + a local player.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Funny it is two Cobras players but they can't fit into a Cobras 14 let alone XI
Hamza decided on varsity though? So was just playing provincial? Otherwise I do think he may have made the franchise team as well? (when no internationals are around.)

SeamUp

International Coach
Hamza decided on varsity though? So was just playing provincial? Otherwise I do think he may have made the franchise team as well? (when no internationals are around.)
Contracted to the Cobras. Problem is spots are limited with Jason Smith , Proteas and Mgijima around. Smith couldn't even play for Cobras but is in SA 'A' team.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Also. Let the kid develop. This is too soon.
Not seen Mulder the batsman but the bowling leaves a lot to be desired. Same goes with Jason Smith, another touted all-rounder. Parnell hasn’t played a FC game since April, so that’s a weird one but I saw names such as Shadley van Schalkwyk knocking around so there isn’t much depth by the looks of it. Shame Rory Kleinveldt is busy next week.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not seen Mulder the batsman but the bowling leaves a lot to be desired. Same goes with Jason Smith, another touted all-rounder. Parnell hasn’t played a FC game since April, so that’s a weird one but I saw names such as Shadley van Schalkwyk knocking around so there isn’t much depth by the looks of it. Shame Rory Kleinveldt is busy next week.
Too me Jason Smith is a batsman who bowls dibbly dobblers.

Wiaan Mulder is a very good batsman but has ability to grow with the ball. A bit like Ben Stokes at similar stages in their careers. Remember Stokes bowling 123 powder-puffs at the u19 CWC.

Suppose Dwaine Pretorius was the front runner but Gibson must have been impressed watching Mulder at the Wanderers the other day.

Outside of that just potential of Galiem, Savage, de Swardt as Frylinck, A.Morkel, Wiese are not really in the running.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
A non-seasonal tour to England was perfect for Phehlukwayo but now he needs runs and wickets. It is the currency that matters. Just hope they release him and Olivier/Parnell is enough for 12th-man duties + a local player.
I like Phehlukwayo but he is a one-day cricketer at present. Bowling six different deliveries in an over isn’t going to cut it in a test.