• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

ajdude

International Coach
test squad for south africa supposedly being announced tomorrow alongside the t20 tri-series squad

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Jon Holland will apparently be in the squad.

My question is if Australia view him as their second best spinner, then why was Agar ahead of him for the Sydney Test?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Because if you pick a second spinner at Sydney, you either drop a Big 3 bowler (not happening) or run a five man attack. So the best option to partner Lyon becomes Agar, as he can vaguely bat seven, even as Holland remains the best replacement for Lyon if he's injured.

I mean, it's still SoK but whatever.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Jhye Richardson also in the squad, too early IMO. I rate him highly but think he would be much better served playing more Shield cricket than sitting on the bench in South Africa.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Massive show in faith in Bancroft to not only pick him for the tour but that there's no backup opener in the squad like Renshaw as was being reported yesterday. Perhaps he could turn things around from how he finished off the Ashes but if his technique was getting exposed on bland Australian pitches, hard to see how he could be effective on SA pitches against an A-Grade pace attack.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That T20 squad has dented my confidence in NZ's prospects for this series.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Massive show in faith in Bancroft to not only pick him for the tour but that there's no backup opener in the squad like Renshaw as was being reported yesterday. Perhaps he could turn things around from how he finished off the Ashes but if his technique was getting exposed on bland Australian pitches, hard to see how he could be effective on SA pitches against an A-Grade pace attack.
It's pretty clear that the CA heirarchy have been waiting to pick Bancroft for some time now. They picked him at the exact earliest opportunity that they possibly could and are giving him as long of a run as they can.

Unfortunately I see him as a bit of a Maddinson - capable of playing some incredible cricket but inconsistent to the extreme.

It's pretty harsh on Renshaw who had one bad test and gets dropped for a home Ashes series and then his replacement has 4 bad tests running and gets picked for SA.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
It would not have surprised me to see Richardson picked for an Australian Test squad this year to be really honest. But not this soon.
More so the Zimbabwe tour if Australia do decide to take a 2nd XI squad and rest the quicks and other regular players as well in what will be a very busy schedule.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it's a bit soon but honestly I don't hate the selection. With bowlers you sometimes "know", and if they think he's good enough, why wait? More annoyed about the lack of Maxwell (still).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Handscomb but no Maxwell. Rather insulting to the intelligence that one.

I'd like Richardson to have more than five FC matches to his name. In fairness, his figures are better than Cummins' were after five matches (though he was only 18). I'm sure being from WA also helped him.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So Jon Holland will apparently be in the squad.

My question is if Australia view him as their second best spinner, then why was Agar ahead of him for the Sydney Test?
Agar is considerably more marketable.