• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Records and Milestones thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, Windies think once had Hooper at 4 and Adams/Arthurton at 5. Taken care of your part time spin options right there... A bit like England in this test with Root and Denly. Think Aus can afford to do that sometime too and play the quartet for once, finally and pull out whatever spin they need out of Head and Marnus.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, Windies think once had Hooper at 4 and Adams/Arthurton at 5. Taken care of your part time spin options right there... A bit like England in this test with Root and Denly. Think Aus can afford to do that sometime too and play the quartet for once, finally and pull out whatever spin they need out of Head and Marnus.
Every time Lyon has been dropped had been disastrous for Australia since he was first selected.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming he doesn't bat again in the current Test David Warner has a series average of 489. Not sure if it's a record with the amount of short series against sub standard opposition these days.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar at one point had record for most runs between 2 dismissals in tests. Record was just shy of 500 runs iirc. Does it still stand? Warner may have a good chance of breaking it.

Edit: No actually. Warner just has 335 runs since last dismissal and not 489.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Tendulkar at one point had record for most runs between 2 dismissals in tests. Record was just shy of 500 runs iirc. Does it still stand? Warner may have a good chance of breaking it.

Edit: No actually. Warner just has 335 runs since last dismissal and not 489.
Voges took that record during his dominating WI + NZ phase, 700+ runs between dismissals IIRC

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Most of the Indian posters who frequent here would be loathe to comment on Australian achievements. h.hurricaine spends most of his time in here trying to discredit any Aust achievement.
You conveniently ignored Stephen quoting that ATG Australian team would "EASILY" beat ATG WI team but then went to call me biased just because I responded to him with facts that WI team were great for longer than Aussies.

I would like to know which post you are referring to ? If you would like to see how highly I rate the Aussies of noughties, you could refer post # 479. However, if you are looking for an Indian to glorify Aussie achievements in every one of my posts, I am not the right person. And,if you are not one eyed,you could also see a block of Aussies here who ridicule India and indians at every opportunity.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The 80s Windies had few opponents who could field more than one great player. For England it was Botham, Australia had Border, India had Gavaskar and New Zealand Hadlee. Pakistan had a strong team in the era with Imran and Wasim.
This simply isn't true. India had 2(Kapil was ATG just like Sunil),Pakistan had 3(Imran,Wasim and Miandad).Australia had Border,Chappell and Lillee.

The great West Indies sides went completely untested against quality spin.
Again untrue. That WI side were downed several times by spin on turners but still did not lose any series. They did not even need to play spinners to do so :)

1. Abdul Qadir destoyed them in Pakistan.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...1st-test-west-indies-tour-of-pakistan-1986-87

WI won the next match to level the series.

2. Hirwani bamboozled them with a 16 wicket haul in his debut in Chennai.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...es-4th-test-west-indies-tour-of-india-1987-88

WI had won an earlier match in a drawn series.

3. TOTAB destroyed them in Sydney. But WI had already won the series prior to that.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...th-test-west-indies-tour-of-australia-1988-89

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Isn't it more pertinent to point out that Warney basically was never all that good when bowling at quality players of spin? I don't see any reason to not think that the likes of Greenidge, Haynes, Lloyd and Richards were not that.

Slifer

International Captain
That the WI players didn't face quality spin is a fallacy. They faced chandra and co in the mid 70s, underwood, then Qasim and Qadir from Pakistan. None in the league of Warne but decent spin bowlers nevertheless

Slifer

International Captain
Isn't it more pertinent to point out that Warney basically was never all that good when bowling at quality players of spin? I don't see any reason to not think that the likes of Greenidge, Haynes, Lloyd and Richards were not that.
Add Alvin Kallicharan to that list. Eat spin for breakfast lunch and dinner.