• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's more the complete and utter lack of decent options.

This would be my team for Sri Lanka

Burns
Mitchell
Moeen
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler (wk)
Curran
Broad
Leach
Anderson

If they rest Broad I'd play Woakes because batting.

If Broad is not picked it's not because he is rested. If Anderson is not picked that's different.
KP had a rant yesterday about Broad on Talk Sport, saying to drop Broad for the away series in Sri Lanka and that he doesn’t perform away from home ... and also said Broad does not like touring the Sub-Continent.

FBU

International Debutant
KP

“They are going to have to find somebody else. Cook is a big loss. I know he has been wishy-washy over the last couple of months but he finished on a fairy tale ending, which is brilliant for him but to replace that kind of guy at the top of the order, it is going to be difficult.

“I just don’t see county cricket producing Test cricketers at the moment. The issue is deep-rooted. All the best players in the world now are not playing county cricket. They are earning their cash in franchise cricket. Therefore, the standard of county cricket isn’t great, the standard of county batsmen is poor, and it is causing a massive issue in cabs on the rank for batting places.

“I’m not a massive fan of Vince, if I’m honest. He had his chances. I watched him play down under last year. He played nicely, but I just didn’t like the way he went about his business on a couple of occasions when the ball started to bounce. For the tour of South Africa next year, the ball will bounce.”

Pietersen suggested limited-overs batsman Jason Roy be trialled at Test level. Roy has gathered relative success after 65 ODIs and 31 T20Is, but has not yet played the longest form of the international game.

“I like Jason Roy. He has got oomph, he has got guts, he has got runs at the top of the order in Australia. He scored that brilliant 180 at the MCG. It is about how guys score their runs and what their personalities are like. I would be all for Roy at the top of the order with Rory Burns,” he added.

I can just see Roy opening against Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins next year. Also playing Herath.

Singh767

School Boy/Girl Captain
I said something similar (to what KP said in the above post) a couple of weeks ago, and that idiot poster "john" shouted the biggest pile of abuse at me lol. It's not as outrageous as people think, the English County system seems to have stopped producing good first class batsman, so why not try out a Roy who has had great success in limited overs, picking a player on limited overs basis can work on the odd occasion. Call up Roy and Burns why not.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Tbf whilst Roy is almost certainly not the answer to our problems, given how he's done in ODI's, he's as deserving as a chance as many we've already tried/probably going to try over the next year imo.

So watch as the selectors pick him over Burns to partner Jennings.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I have a feeling they will see Jennings's 112 in Mumbai as a sort of vindication of his sub-continental playing and play him. Jennings and Burns to open I'm guessing.

FBU

International Debutant
I have a feeling they will see Jennings's 112 in Mumbai as a sort of vindication of his sub-continental playing and play him. Jennings and Burns to open I'm guessing.
What about his playing of spin in the WI on the Lions tour?

Tom Flint

International Regular
But then saying another SA is not a Test player.
I would say it's his Surrey bias rather than SA
I wasn't suggesting any sa bias, kp doesn't rate Jennings at all he had a famous rant on talk sport a year ago saying how 'Jennings can not play.'
It was more my disappointment at us taking other nations players rather than using our own. We've got our own quota system, at least 4 members of our squad have to be born in Africa or the west indies

I wasn't suggesting any sa bias, kp doesn't rate Jennings at all he had a famous rant on talk sport a year ago saying how 'Jennings can not play.'
It was more my disappointment at us taking other nations players rather than using our own. We've got our own quota system, at least 4 members of our squad have to be born in Africa or the west indies
It's Burns plus one. As long as the second opener can hold a bat he's a better option than Jennings right now.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have this fear that Jennings is gonna retain his place and they'll pick someone like Denley over Burns because Ed Smith thoughts.

I have this fear that Jennings is gonna retain his place and they'll pick someone like Denley over Burns because Ed Smith thoughts.
Possibly. He seems desperate to be different. If they don't pick Burns then the ECB need to overhaul the selection panel.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There haven't been many England test players born in the WI lately. Chris Jordan a few years ago, but I can't think of any others. SA granted, although lots of them moved over here when very young. Most of them justified the call-up, so it's not an issue really.

Last edited: