Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Does Cricket need a strong Australia?

International 12th Man
    I need a strong coffee
    zorax likes this.

The Hayden discussion has redeemed the thread. It was Fox News opinion piece levels of bad beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Who do you prefer, him or Hussain?
    Hussain solely on the basis of commentary.

THE SEASONS BRING RELIEF. JUST LET ME LIVE AND DIE IN PEACE

International Captain mr_mister's Avatar
    It's funny how some of the most mediocre 90s players like Atherton and Hussain became such smart insightful commentators
    cricket rules brah

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    It's funny how some of the most mediocre 90s players like Atherton and Hussain became such smart insightful commentators
    In the case of those two guys specifically, both are obviously very intelligent both in regular and cricketing terms. Both were good cricketers who really got a lot out of themselves and their careers, and I think that helped them a lot in the way they think about the game at large. Both players who had to grind for every inch of their careers who made it to ~100 tests each including long stints as captains of their country, I think it makes sense that they'd both be very good commentators.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Yep. Pretty sure we'll see Lyon in there when he's done.
    zorax likes this.

Perhaps for the same reason that it's relatively rare in sport for the top, top players to become the best coaches.

Players who are deemed "mediocre" but who played long spells at the highest level are often those who extracted most from their talent, and accomplished just about everything that their talent was capable of. A player that does that is in a much better position to coach than one who is supremely talented, and to whom everything comes comparatively easy.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Yep. Pretty sure we'll see Lyon in there when he's done.
    If he's not double-dropping ecstacy and trying to pick up obviously married women in his post-cricketing career I'll be shocked tbh.
    vic_orthdox and honestbharani like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Hayden's always been under-rated. Missed out on the academy because no one thought he was going to make it. Part of it was bias against QLDers back in the day I think, the mental gymnastics people had to perform to claim that Bichel, Kasper, etc. were over-rated because they had helpful decks to work with in Shield cricket but that Hayden was also a flat-track bully was always amusing to watch.

He benefited from flatter decks worldwide post-2000 at the same time as he came of age, sure. So I doubt he'd have averaged 50+ in another time. But he had the game to be one of the better openers of his time whenever he played.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-07-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Compton View Post
    Perhaps for the same reason that it's relatively rare in sport for the top, top players to become the best coaches.

Players who are deemed "mediocre" but who played long spells at the highest level are often those who extracted most from their talent, and accomplished just about everything that their talent was capable of. A player that does that is in a much better position to coach than one who is supremely talented, and to whom everything comes comparatively easy.
    Hear this a lot but have always thought it was a bit of a cop-out by the guys concerned. To play Test cricket, you have to be both talented and resilient so I don't buy that they have less insight into their own games. Just think they don't wanna be good coaches and commentators. Greg Chappell isn't a poor coach because he doesn't understand how to impart technical advice to batsmen, for example.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Hear this a lot but have always thought it was a bit of a cop-out by the guys concerned. To play Test cricket, you have to be both talented and resilient so I don't buy that they have less insight into their own games. Just think they don't wanna be good coaches and commentators. Greg Chappell isn't a poor coach because he doesn't understand how to impart technical advice to batsmen, for example.
    Pretty much, the logic behind it (ie. Players who didn't perform as well must have gotten the best out of their talent more so than the better players) is very weak

I reckon Hayden would be a fantastic batting coach.

"Go out there, hit 180000 balls in the nets and then make 15000 first class runs and you'll be right at test level."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    He is enjoying traditional tamil feasts at Madurai as we speak.
    vcs likes this.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information