• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is This Even Possible?

Swervy

International Captain
Lions81 said:
If so, it would be a lot like my Cricket Web Draft pick!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/623027.cms

what a pile of dung!!!!!

Hahahaha..it makes me laugh...'With Shoaib in the team, Australia will panic. India is definitely a better batting side, but the Aussies have an edge in bowling. With Shoaib around, you can bowl them out for half the scores they have been notching up against a resurgent India.'

Quality journalism....i dont thnk.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Well there are two issues I think.

1. Is this even feasible? I don't know what the rules are regarding players switching sides, I know Symonds switched to Australia, Twose to New Zealand and Goodwin to Zimbabwe, but those seemed to be uncontested by their home countries, whereas, even assuming the ridiculous idea that Akhtar would want to join the Indian team to be true, Pakistan would fight tooth and nail to prevent that from happening. Akhtar's the biggest superstar Pakistan have, it would be the equivalent of Ponting switching to England! And even if Pakistan are okay with it, I doubt the ICC would allow this anyway.

2. Okay, let's assume Akhtar joins the Indian team. India would immediately become the world's best Test Side. How can they not? Whenever one analyzes the Indian side, they always say something to this effect: "They have a world-class lineup, perhaps the best in the world, but their bowling attack is poor. They have excellent spinners, like Kumble and Harbhajan, but their fast bowlers are nothing special, and any prospects, like Pathan or Balaji, are too young or too inexperienced and haven't done anything of note." But add Akhtar to the Indian team and now the new-ball pair is Shoaib Akhtar and Irfan Pathan, with Balaji at first change and Kumble as the spinner. Now tell me that that bowling lineup is not one of the tops in the world? It boasts one of the top three fast bowlers and top three spinners, along with two young pacers, whose talents have been tantalizingly on display in Australia and Pakistan. And now Akhtar can be fairly sure that if his team bats first, he will come on with many runs to work with, and he can concentrate on bowling as fast as he can, knowing that there will be an accurate, nagging bowler operating at the other end who can swing the ball and prevent the batsman from just sitting on the faster deliveries.

In my very biased but I think reasonable opinion, India would be unstoppable in Tests, and would finally be able to give Australia a run for their money in ODIs.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I think someone mentioned a four year wait between countries if you want to make the change. I don't think Akhtar would ever consider it, though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
I think someone mentioned a four year wait between countries if you want to make the change. I don't think Akhtar would ever consider it, though.
You're quite correct - although dispensations have been made in the past, clearly that would not be the case here.

It's likely that the 'Times of India' were running short of copy so just decided to make up a bit of 'filler'.

Slow Love™

International Captain
It's just a "wouldn't it be cool!" speculative article. But India's bowling stocks don't look incredibly unhealthy anyway, these days.

Perhaps someone could give Rashid Latif a call for Shoaib's thoughts on the matter.

Swervy

International Captain
Lions81 said:
I don't know what the rules are regarding players switching sides, I know Symonds switched to Australia, Twose to New Zealand and Goodwin to Zimbabwe, but those seemed to be uncontested by their home countries, whereas, even assuming the ridiculous idea that Akhtar would want to join the Indian team to be true, Pakistan would fight tooth and nail to prevent that from happening. Akhtar's the biggest superstar Pakistan have, it would be the equivalent of Ponting switching to England! And even if Pakistan are okay with it, I doubt the ICC would allow this anyway.
Symonds hadnt played international cricket for England before he played for Australia, same for the other players mentioned.....by the time any qualification period had ended, Shoaibs star would have faded big time.

I guess it could be said that if Shoaib were to play for Australia, then Australia would be unbeatable....utter rubbish of course...one very fast but slightly erratic bowler with issues regarding his stamina wont make India the best team in the world

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Symonds hadnt played international cricket for England before he played for Australia, same for the other players mentioned.....by the time any qualification period had ended, Shoaibs star would have faded big time.

I guess it could be said that if Shoaib were to play for Australia, then Australia would be unbeatable....utter rubbish of course...one very fast but slightly erratic bowler with issues regarding his stamina wont make India the best team in the world
But... but... Australia have got....

(takes 5 minutes break to wipe the tears from his eyes)

Brett Lee

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
But... but... Australia have got....

(takes 5 minutes break to wipe the tears from his eyes)

Brett Lee

hehehehe...yeah well what can I say :D

i dont even think of Lee when I consider a top Aussie test team.

But for ODI's, thats a different matter!!!!!