• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bevan's international career is over?

Craig

World Traveller
Well Michael Bevan has missed out on a CA Contract. Bichel, Noffke and Hauritz miss out and M.Hussey, Elliott, Hodge and Tait get contracts. Hodge and Tait get contracts for the first time. Michael Kasprowicz and SImon Katich were upgraded to full contracts.

Full story

It never said if Love lost his or not, so I dont know.

Craig

World Traveller
Which is good to see. It should be something like this:

1-RT Ponting
2-ML Hayden
3-AC Gilchrist
4-JN Gillespie
6-SK Warne
7-GD McGrath
8-DS Lehmann
9-JL Langer
10-SM Katich
11-DR Martyn
12-SM Katich
13-MS Kasprowicz
14-SCG MacGill
15-B Lee
16-A Symonds
17-IJ Harvey
18-GB Hogg
19-MJ Hodge
20-BA Williams
21-ML Love
22-MTG Elliott
23-MEK Hussey
24-BA Hodge
25-SM Tait

Ok this might not be in the correct order.

Craig

World Traveller
orangepitch said:
Does that mean Bevan cant play for the next whole year atleast?
No.

He will just have a state contract instead of an Cricket Australia one.

Not having a contract places you way down the pecking order of being picked.

Craig

World Traveller
Jimmy Maher and Shane Watson were also retained.

Michael Clarke, Matthew Elliott, Adam Gilchrist, Jason Gillespie, Ian Harvey, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hodge, Brad Hogg, Michael Hussey, Michael Kasprowicz, Simon Katich, Justin Langer, Darren Lehmann, Martin Love, Stuart MacGill, Jimmy Maher, Damien Martyn, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Andrew Symonds, Shaun Tait, Shane Warne, Shane Watson, Brad Williams.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/APR/117635_AUS_06APR2004.html

bennyr

U19 12th Man
I reckon this is just dumb.

Bevan's form may not have been crash hot recently, but he has not been batting in a position that suits him at all.

I wouldn't even be dropping him from the side. His batting performances have been no worse than Clarke's in recent months.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Whilst I do feel that Andy Bichel's time had perhaps come, I think Bevan still has something to offer. Ruthless indeed.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
While it is a ruthless swing of the axe, I think the selectors are taking a step forward. Bevan is what, 33 or 34? It is time to find some new young players to take over. Even if it does mean losing a few games or even a series here and there.

Craig

World Traveller
SquidAU said:
While it is a ruthless swing of the axe, I think the selectors are taking a step forward. Bevan is what, 33 or 34? It is time to find some new young players to take over. Even if it does mean losing a few games or even a series here and there.
Apparently that is Trevor Hohns reasoning is to look towards the 2007 WC.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SquidAU said:
The one starting in just over a year's time will do nicely, thanks.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Craig said:
Apparently that is Trevor Hohns reasoning is to look towards the 2007 WC.
And thats a bloody good reason, I reckon. Its the only ODI tournament worth playing.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
SquidAU said:
As much as I agree with the selectors decision, Im not sure you can say they dropped Bevan because of his age, Elliot is getting on a bit himself.

It would be good to see Bevan's stats for the last couple of years. The selectors are saying his input has decreased, and thats a fair analysis as far as Im concerned, and a good enough reason not give someone a contract. There is far too much uncontracted talent not too.

By golly, its a harsh world for an Aussie cricketer..:rolleyes: :P

tooextracool

International Coach
"However, it was felt Michael's contribution to the one-day side has decreased, and more importantly, we thought it was the right time to move forward as we start to form a core of players to take us to the next World Cup (in 2007)."trevor hohns....

well duh what do u expect him to do if he bats at no 7??score centuries?...if it wasnt for his performances the 2003 wc might have been so very different. hes 33 which means he would be about 36 in 2007....thats hell of a lot younger than stewart and bevan is pretty fit too. the aussie selectors make their stupidest move yet...dropping their best ODI player(by quite a mile) and giving watson and macgill central contracts!well done guys

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
As much as I agree with the selectors decision, Im not sure you can say they dropped Bevan because of his age, Elliot is getting on a bit himself.
Yes, but I don't think Elliot is being considered for the ODI team, where age is more of a factor. In fact, I don't see many outside the regular 13-15 players playing much for Australia.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
Yes, but I don't think Elliot is being considered for the ODI team, where age is more of a factor. In fact, I don't see many outside the regular 13-15 players playing much for Australia.
Yeah, I see what you mean..
Still, hasnt Elliot scored alot of runs in the ING cup aswell? I'll find it...

10 innings, 493 runs (4th highest behind Law, Hodge and Perren)averaging 54.77 at a Strike rate of 78.88.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Linda said:
It would be good to see Bevan's stats for the last couple of years. The selectors are saying his input has decreased, and thats a fair analysis as far as Im concerned, and a good enough reason not give someone a contract. There is far too much uncontracted talent not too.
It seems that since the start of 2003, Bevan has scored 1062 runs at a paltry average of 48.27. Gee, no wonder they are dropping him...