• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New PWC ratings

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I would suggest he's done that already in performing against 3 different sides in vastly different conditions.
In a comination of one, one and two Tests, not a series.

I'm having a go at him by any stretch and yes he has bowled well, but it doesnt consistute a series just indivdual matches.

That is my point.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I'm yet to see anyone on here saying that SH is world-class, although there seem to be any number now who are using the term in the same sentence as the Durham man's name - generally including the word 'not' as well.

eg. Not Harmison he's world-class :lol: :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
Hey Eddie, ease up on the 'arrogance of certain Aussie fans' thing will ya?? :lol:
I certainly respect your opinion more than most on this board........and I acknowledge the fact that South Africa are a great side - but Bangladesh and the (current) Windies side?
If he is still taking wickets and having an impact against better opposition in the months to come, I will be the first to say he has come of age - but I don't feel that time is yet.
Serious question - what were his figures like against Sri Lanka (can't remember).
No probs. We Maiden fans have to stick together on some issues, and yet remain sensible and debate matters when we disagree.

<quack> You'd do him if you met him in the pub

Sssssshhhh.

I must confess to being surprised at how the West Indians have capitulated under pressure. Remember just 2 or 3 months ago in South Africa people were saying that their problem was related to the bowling and not the batting (average score was well over 300), the following individual scores were registered :

Lara 202, 115
Sarwan 114, 119
Chanderpaul 109
Gayle 116, 107
Smith 105*

4 tests, 8 tons against an attack I would take over England's any day of the week - Pollock, Ntini, Nel (wow!), Kallis.

Now, nothing. Spineless displays yet they have the makings of a decent bowling attack. Trouble at t'mill indeed.

Harmison didn't play in Sri Lanka - he was injured. Funnily enough, the Cricinfo (spit) staff produced the following gem on December 10 last year :

Harmison considered history by England

Oh, I love to gloat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
.and I acknowledge the fact that South Africa are a great side - but Bangladesh and the (current) Windies side?
This current West Indian side still has batsmen of the quality fo Lara, Chanderpaul, Sarwan...

Last time I checked they weren't bad players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
In a comination of one, one and two Tests, not a series.

I'm having a go at him by any stretch and yes he has bowled well, but it doesnt consistute a series just indivdual matches.

That is my point.
They're in (now) 5 consecutive games over a range of conditions against some pretty decent batsmen.

As I type, he needs 6 wickets in the Final Test to break the record for most wickets by an Englishman in the Caribbean, a record set in 5 matches when he only has 4...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
Harmison didn't play in Sri Lanka - he was injured. Funnily enough, the Cricinfo (spit) staff produced the following gem on December 10 last year :

Harmison considered history by England

Oh, I love to gloat.
What a difference 4 months makes eh?

He's now under the new release, up to number 3 in the World (!) and would in theory be opening the bowling with Shoaib for the World XI (with Pollock as 1st change)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know, I'm going to have to revise my thoughts about him (Steve Wayward-Harmison) being world cl... (voice trails into distance).

Seriously, he's top 10 for me and I'll settle for that - provided the other England seamers get ahead of him in the rankings, of course.

My God! Could you imagine what the hype would be like if he were Indian?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
They're in (now) 5 consecutive games over a range of conditions against some pretty decent batsmen.

As I type, he needs 6 wickets in the Final Test to break the record for most wickets by an Englishman in the Caribbean, a record set in 5 matches when he only has 4...
Out of curioristy who holds the record?

Fair point about him and e has finally got the confidence in himself.

The jury is still out on him in ODIS and it will not guarantee sucess in that form of the game regardless on what you might say.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Out of curioristy who holds the record?

Fair point about him and e has finally got the confidence in himself.

The jury is still out on him in ODIS and it will not guarantee sucess in that form of the game regardless on what you might say.
Angus Fraser and John Snow, both 27 I think. Fraser did it in 5 tests, Snow played in 4.

The ODI point is totally irrelevant as England have the likes of Collingwood, Clarke and the like who give genuine all-rounder options.

They've also got Anthony McGrath (walks away muttering to himself)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Well his 6 wickets in the 3rd test (when he bowled probably the worse he has done since last summer) has moved him up to joint 3rd in the rankings now with Aktar.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
My God! Could you imagine what the hype would be like if he were Indian?
yes i can. it would be about the same as that would be generated when england finds a batsman who can hold the bat right way round:lol:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Angus Fraser and John Snow, both 27 I think. Fraser did it in 5 tests, Snow played in 4.

The ODI point is totally irrelevant as England have the likes of Collingwood, Clarke and the like who give genuine all-rounder options.

Not to mention Pieterson can bowl some fairly good off breaks. I'd be shocked if he wasnt picked the MOMENT he qualifies to.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Well his 6 wickets in the 3rd test (when he bowled probably the worse he has done since last summer) has moved him up to joint 3rd in the rankings now with Aktar.
I'm not sure where the 'bowled probably the worse....' comes in. He always looked likely to take wickets in both innings - as far as I can recall he went for a couple of boundaries now and then - notably when Crystal fired him to the fence three times on the trot, but I'm giving Harmison the credit for setting him up.

I'll grant you his first innings bowling was not up to his usual impeccable standard (stops laughing, wipes the tears from his eyes) of late but his second innings performance was quite superb. He had Lara jumping around like a scalded cat - in the end I reckon one blow too many broke the great man's spirit and Harmison deservedly picked him up for the third time in the series.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Raj123 said:
yes i can. it would be about the same as that would be generated when england finds a batsman who can hold the bat right way round:lol:
Thorpe?

Terrible isn't it when someone makes you look silly?

Not difficult, though, in your case. I'm only claiming half a point.

:P

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:

If anybody considers Rikki as a geniune all-rounder I'm calling for them to be drug and breath tested considering his bowling is hardly of international standard or even FC.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
If anybody considers Rikki as a geniune all-rounder I'm calling for them to be drug and breath tested considering his bowling is hardly of international standard or even FC.
er.... I think you totally missed the point (although I didn't make it very clear, in all fairness. Hell, I didn't make it at all.)

I see Clarke sharing the fifth bowler slot with Collingwood / Pietersen, certainly not a front-line bowler. He would be in the side primarily as a batsman, coming in around 6. His major asset, though (OK, only asset) is that he is an absolutely magnificent fielder.

Regarding first-class ability, that's never been an essential prerequisite to be a success in one-day internationals. It's a totally different game.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I'm not sure where the 'bowled probably the worse....' comes in. He always looked likely to take wickets in both innings - as far as I can recall he went for a couple of boundaries now and then - notably when Crystal fired him to the fence three times on the trot, but I'm giving Harmison the credit for setting him up.

I'll grant you his first innings bowling was not up to his usual impeccable standard (stops laughing, wipes the tears from his eyes) of late but his second innings performance was quite superb. He had Lara jumping around like a scalded cat - in the end I reckon one blow too many broke the great man's spirit and Harmison deservedly picked him up for the third time in the series.
Hey i wasnt having a go :) im a big harmi fan (almost as much as Botham...well ok not quite :) ) Just i felt he was far too short in general this test, and he still managed to get 6 wickets :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
Hey i wasnt having a go :) im a big harmi fan (almost as much as Botham...well ok not quite :) ) Just i felt he was far too short in general this test, and he still managed to get 6 wickets :)
He was. They all were. It was a sub-standard bowling performance, in exactly the same way that it was at Port of Spain (when the Windies put on 100 for the opening partnership).

They learned quickly - again. Eventually, they will wise up to conditions and adjust when they see what's happening, as opposed to getting back to the pavilion and talking to the coaches.

Well, I hope they do.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
thorpe: avg-43:lol:
ok, first let me lower the bar here. "they dont have to hold it the right way round but its enough if they can hold it". there, now thorpe fits the bill. are you happy now...:lol:

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Jeez Eddie, you are in FINE form tonight.

Now Marc, on the other hand, is a pedant-peddler........someone who deals in pedantics (at least with seemingly every point I make)

**Dons cricket helmet**