• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Ever West Indies Bowler?

Who is the Greatest Ever West Indies Bowler?

• MA Holding

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • AME Roberts

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • J Garner

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • MD Marshall

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • CA Walsh

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • CEL Ambrose

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • LR Gibbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WW Hall

• IR Bishop

• AL Valentine

• CEH Croft

• BP Patterson

• KD Boyce

• S Ramadhin

• CC Griffith

• Other

• Total voters

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
The greatest West Indian bowler was Malcolm Marhsall.

I'm amazed at how ppl rate Holding ahead of Ambrose. Nah, don't make that mistake..Holding in his days was somewhat like Brett Lee , he was fast but he relied more on other bowlers somewhat Lee performing better when McGrath and Gillespie bowl with him. There are many occassions when he did not deliver....in contrast Ambrose kept the Caribbean pride even long after the big boys like Marshall, VIV, Lloyd had all retired.

Curtly Elconn Lynwall Ambrose was one of kind, I believe Ambrose + Mcgrath + Waseem are up there in all time best test bowlers list.

Being a big fan of Ambrose, I'm certain the only West Indian bowler better than him was Malcolm Marshall.

PS. dare I say this, but between Ambrose and Marshall its hypothetical...

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bapu Rao Swami said:
The greatest West Indian bowler was Malcolm Marhsall.

I'm amazed at how ppl rate Holding ahead of Ambrose. Nah, don't make that mistake..Holding in his days was somewhat like Brett Lee , he was fast but he relied more on other bowlers somewhat Lee performing better when McGrath and Gillespie bowl with him. There are many occassions when he did not deliver....in contrast Ambrose kept the Caribbean pride even long after the big boys like Marshall, VIV, Lloyd had all retired.
I'm perfectly willing to listen to arguments that Marshall was better than Holding, even willing to compare Ambrose favourably - but to compare Holding with Brett Lee is complete and utter garbage.

You don't take the best part of 250 wickets in test cricket hanging on to someone else's coat-tails and you don't take 14 wickets in a game at the Oval at the end of the dryest summer in English history by having someone else bowl for you.

By all means praise Marshall and Ambrose to the hilt - they were truly awesome - but by making such an asinine comment as to compare an all-time great to a one-trick pony joke bowler you do both Marshall and Ambrose a disservice.

Star

Cricket Spectator
Im going out on a limb here and saying Best. The reason you ask? That one ball, that one great ball, 96 mile ripper to Freddy Flintoff, without the ball. Now I ask you, has the West Indies had a better bowler? No runs were scored off that. Now I say, T Best

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Star said:
Im going out on a limb here and saying Best. The reason you ask? That one ball, that one great ball, 96 mile ripper to Freddy Flintoff, without the ball. Now I ask you, has the West Indies had a better bowler? No runs were scored off that. Now I say, T Best
This used to be such a sensible website too

Star

Cricket Spectator
Seriously though,Walsh, till someone can say they are honestly better than him, I thin he takes the cake

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
I'm perfectly willing to listen to arguments that Marshall was better than Holding, even willing to compare Ambrose favourably - but to compare Holding with Brett Lee is complete and utter garbage.

You don't take the best part of 250 wickets in test cricket hanging on to someone else's coat-tails and you don't take 14 wickets in a game at the Oval at the end of the dryest summer in English history by having someone else bowl for you.

By all means praise Marshall and Ambrose to the hilt - they were truly awesome - but by making such an asinine comment as to compare an all-time great to a one-trick pony joke bowler you do both Marshall and Ambrose a disservice.

Well Brett Lee's performance has been going downhill, he played his first 10 test matches in good song somewhat Bond ever since he's been going donwhill.

Using Lee as an example is a bad one I agree (just wanted ppl to understand what I meant in a blunt way).

Moving on , Shaun Pollock is one test bowler I (and most pundits) would rate ahead of Holding by ease. Furthermore I would place Holding in the league of Imran Khan.

But thanks for that correction, much appreciated!

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Star said:
Seriously though,Walsh, till someone can say they are honestly better than him, I thin he takes the cake

Nope! Well they all were good but Walsh wasn't better than Ambrose, Marshall and Holding.

One big problem with such teams is that we never get to see ppl like Garner bowl to their full potential for many years.

When I saw Garner bowl, he could hit the deck hard and turn the ball both ways, his throat balls were amongst the most lethal I have ever seen. But because of the abundance of talent within hs squad, I believe we never saw teh best of him in test cricket.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bapu Rao Swami said:
I'm sorry if I offended you Eddie. Well Brett Lee's performance has been going downhill, he played his first 10 test matches in good song somewhat Bond ever since he's been going donwhill.

Using Lee as an example is a bad one I agree (just wanted ppl to understand what I meant in a blunt way).

Moving on , Shaun Pollock is one test bowler I (and most pundits) would rate ahead of Holding by ease. Furthermore I would place Holding in the league of Imran Khan.

But thanks for that correction, much appreciated!
Didn't offend me at all - I was just scratching my head and the letters 'WTF' came to mind.

Always embarrassing when someone quotes and replies, then someone edits their original post. :D

I notice the conversation has progressed on to 'throat balls' - for me, you could slip Holding in there again (ask Brian Close why) but I don't think there'll be much dispute amongst the few members here who saw the most vicious of them all - Charlie Griffith.

Last edited:

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
Didn't offend me at all - I was just scratching my head and the letters 'WTF' came to mind.

Always embarrassing when someone quotes and replies, then someone edits their original post. :D

I notice the conversation has progressed on to 'throat balls' - for me, you could slip Holding in there again (ask Brian Close why) but I don't think there'll be much dispute amongst the few members here who saw the most vicious of them all - Charlie Griffith.

:)