• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2017/18

SeamUp

International Coach
Theunis de Bruyn out for a first ball duck. Mother cricket ey.

Good to see Zubayr Hamza with his first franchise hundred.

Mulder with 52* coming in at #8 which is way too low after scoring 80 at #4 - even though 19

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Theunis de Bruyn out for a first ball duck. Mother cricket ey.

Good to see Zubayr Hamza with his first franchise hundred.

Mulder with 52* coming in at #8 which is way too low after scoring 80 at #4 - even though 19
I still rate that kid... think he could be a great replacement for Amla at 3.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah. Smith has had a tough time of it. His A team winter was one to forget. Not sure he is technically sound enough or has the ability to turn good to decent balls into 1 that you need for test cricket.

Still think he will be a better limited overs option. Guys like Leus du Plooy & Marques Ackerman are similar to me.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
The next Faf, AB, JP all born in the same year ?

Continuation of van Tonder.

He retained the Knights captaincy for 2016’s CSA Cubs week, but expectations were high after the Knights made the final the previous year.

‘It was tough. I captained the side to the final in the previous tournament. So, this year, everyone expected us to do well again. I learned a lot because we won only one game, and with my eye set on making the SA U19 team, it made it difficult to achieve this in a losing team, so I had to be mentally strong.’

Once selected for the SA U19 side, Van Tonder truly blossomed. In the triangular series against Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka in January 2017, he scored three half-centuries in six matches. His form continued in the Youth ODI series against Sri Lanka, where he scored two more half-centuries in their three matches.

‘I was quite stressed every game because my goal was to just keep scoring runs. One innings is not good enough, so I worked extremely hard at my mental game; staying focused and spending a long time at the crease. Everyone wants a consistent player.’

Van Tonder’s dream, like any budding youth player, is to play for the Proteas, and with one eye firmly locked on becoming a regular for Free State, Van Tonder’s mindset proves that he is destined for great things.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Nice couple of balls of Mulder's bowling. Shows there is potential. Nice strong action and he is a stocky fella and fairly accurate. So hopefully will add a few kph on. Just shows you the freakish talent Jacques Kallis was. Was bowling crazy speeds at 21/22 - if Mulder can emulate that great.

Hopefully the next highlights package shows a nice bit of his batting.

Also got to love Shaun von Berg. Some serious ability there. Hope to see him in the sub-continent.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Zubayr Hamza will be propping up this Cobras batting line-up a few times this season I reckon.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Am I missing where Warriors announced their contract list? I know their management is an utter disaster, but c'mon! Website still was 15/16. Busy working on updating squads on Wikipedia... Left a message on their FB wall...

GRAB

First Class Debutant
"Match State: Delay - Day 4 - Bad light" - Warriors vs. Cobras. Rats! And this PE boy was hoping for an improbable first victory for the Warriors! So it looks like that's 6 straight draws in SS...

SeamUp

International Coach
Am I missing where Warriors announced their contract list? I know their management is an utter disaster, but c'mon! Website still was 15/16. Busy working on updating squads on Wikipedia... Left a message on their FB wall...
So we got another East Cape boy on the forum ! We seem to have had a few with yourself, Stephen and MrPrez.

Rather is poor. Only franchise not to release an official list and only franchise whose twitter is dormant like their website as you say.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
So we got another East Cape boy on the forum ! We seem to have had a few with yourself, Stephen and MrPrez.

Rather is poor. Only franchise not to release an official list and only franchise whose twitter is dormant like their website as you say.
Poor, but not unexpected. Most curious if, when CC is over, our Kolpaks will come home, or like McLaren, rest in our season. Vilas is presumably coming back for Dolphins... Abbott? Ackermann must surely because he was terrible in CC. Harmer, who had a great season, despite being consistently workmanlike with the ball for Warriors (5 wicket hauls, yes, but after opposing teams have made 500...)? Ingram hasn't the best relationship with Warriors cricket, it seems? Brydon Carse I guess also counts, but I doubt he'd make any Warriors 11 despite my brother believing he is the 2nd coming as a batsman... He did rather little in SA age group cricket so he'd be far down the pecking order...

SeamUp

International Coach
Poor, but not unexpected. Most curious if, when CC is over, our Kolpaks will come home, or like McLaren, rest in our season. Vilas is presumably coming back for Dolphins... Abbott? Ackermann must surely because he was terrible in CC. Harmer, who had a great season, despite being consistently workmanlike with the ball for Warriors (5 wicket hauls, yes, but after opposing teams have made 500...)? Ingram hasn't the best relationship with Warriors cricket, it seems? Brydon Carse I guess also counts, but I doubt he'd make any Warriors 11 despite my brother believing he is the 2nd coming as a batsman... He did rather little in SA age group cricket so he'd be far down the pecking order...
The one's contracted are :

Cobras : Levi, van Zyl, Kleinveldt (bowling consultant/player)
Warriors : Ingram (although heard who could play Big Bash), Ackermann, Harmer
Dolphins : Vilas
Knights : Rossouw (but signed up for BPL), de Lange
Lions : Viljoen
Titans : Wiese

Wouldn't surprise me if some just play 50-overs and chip in for 4-day if desperate which supposedly Viljoen will do.

Ryan McLaren seems to be contracted for Global T20 so expect he will play there. Whilst Kyle Abbott is signed up for BPL only.

Roelof vd Merwe is Dutch now isn't he ? Doesn't play our cricket anymore :laugh:

Brydon never played senior cricket here much. So doubt he will ever play domestic cricket here. I think his father or uncle played internationally for Zimbabwe ?

Tough to bowl in PE though tbf - the turn is often slow and limited bounce. Think Harmer has done well for you blokes and clearly signing of the season over in England.

Last edited:

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Top 20 Franchise-Only (i.e. excluding SAA, National, Provincial, County etc.) Current Batsmen (min 10 innings)
Matches / Innings / Runs / Ave / 50 / 100
Duminy 40 | 66 | 3362 | 62,3 | 16 | 10
Markram 8 | 13 | 771 | 59,3 | 3 | 3
Mulder 7 | 11 | 447 | 55,9 | 1 | 2
A De villiers 8 | 15 | 779 | 55,6 | 5 | 2
J Morkel 44 | 69 | 2828 | 51,4 | 29 | 15
H Amla 43 | 74 | 3168 | 46,6 | 15 | 7
T De bruyn 30 | 51 | 2277 | 46,5 | 12 | 5
Ontong 110 | 177 | 7347 | 45,4 | 43 | 16
Van biljon 22 | 39 | 1677 | 45,3 | 6 | 7
Rossouw 56 | 101 | 4431 | 45,2 | 17 | 14
Bavuma 47 | 83 | 3023 | 43,8 | 13 | 8
Elgar 73 | 132 | 5300 | 43,8 | 19 | 17
Van jaarsveld 89 | 145 | 5888 | 41,8 | 35 | 16
M Van wyk 99 | 169 | 5864 | 41,3 | 30 | 14
Kuhn 103 | 183 | 6801 | 40,7 | 34 | 13
Ackermann 32 | 58 | 2279 | 40,7 | 17 | 4
Second 46 | 76 | 2888 | 40,7 | 13 | 8
Moore 14 | 24 | 887 | 40,3 | 5 | 2
Cook 109 | 200 | 7416 | 39,9 | 30 | 20

(F Du plessis and De kock's SS records are not good enough for top 20)