• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2017/18

SeamUp

International Coach
With Kuhn injured, Cook needs runs in the FC games, this and next week, to get in front of Markram again. Once Markram is in can`t see him getting left out anytime soon thereafter, they will want him building a partnership with Elgar.
By picking Cook for those 'A' games certainly complicated matters a little.

Also find it interesting that JP Duminy will not play for the Cobras in the opening 4-day fixture. Some reports basically saying he is as good as retired from the longest version of the game but I somehow doubt that.

SeamUp

International Coach
Highveld Lions squad vs Warriors at Wanderers starting Tuesday

Stephen Cook (c)
Reeza Hendricks
Omphile Ramela
Dominic Hendricks
Rassie van der Dussen
Nicky van den Bergh (wk)
Mangaliso Mosehle (wk)

Dwaine Pretorius
Wiaan Mulder

Bjorn Fortuin

Kagiso Rabada
Beuran Hendricks
Craig Alexander
Aya Myoli

SeamUp

International Coach
Newcomer Verreynne feels at ease in top order

The 20-year old wicketkeeper-batsman of the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras Kyle Verreynne, who is poised to play in his maiden franchise game soon, is not overawed by the prospect of taking up a position in the Cobras top order.

In the two-day warm-up game at Oudtshoorn, Verreynne shared in a 101-run partnership with Aviwe Mgijima for the third wicket.

Mgijima struck 61 off 96 balls with seven fours at number four, while Verreynne managed nine fours and a six while moving seamlessly to 70 in the number-three position.

At school representing the Western Province U19 team, he opened the batting or occupied the number-three or –four positions.

South Africa used him as opener at U19 level.

“Salieg Nackerdien decided to use me at number seven in the semi-professional Western Province because of the workload at Western Province as wicketkeeper.

“Later he moved me up to number five. I struck 107 while batting at number three, and 98 in the last game of the season at number five,” said Verreynne.

“I don’t mind where I bat, although it has been mostly in the top-order at school. Maybe it is because I am technically suited to it,” he added.

Verreynne was full of praise for the positive spirit in the Cape Cobras team. He says there is a camaraderie in a close-knit group.

The players have responded very positively to Ashwell Prince’s coaching and the fitness levels he demanded.

Mentally, Dane Piedt, the skipper, and Andrew Puttick have prepared him for the rigours of franchise cricket, while Ezra Poole has given him technical support in terms of his wicket-keeping in the off-season.

Verreynne was full of praise for Mgijima, the Cape Cobras’ player of the season in 2017. “He guided me well throughout my innings as the senior partner.”

Asked about the major responsibility of being the man setting the fielding standards and motivating the players, he said he is not overawed by the job. “Many of the players are also young.

“I don’t mind inspiring others,” he said.

The wicketkeeper-batsman said the bowling attack would not be 100 percent happy with their performance in the two two-day warm-up games, but one must remember it was their first outdoor experience.

“They were not always on the money, but there were still a lot of good things that emerged.

“The hard work they produced in the off-season, started to show in Oudtshoorn. They should be pretty happy,” he added.

Piedt said the bowling is moving in the right direction.

“Tshepo Moreki looked very good after his ankle injury. We possess good variations in our attack. We are very focused on the big opportunity and we intend to play aggressive cricket a high intensity in the first five Sunfoil Series matches.”

Ashwell Prince, the WSB Cape Cobras coach, said most of the bowlers had opportunities to find their rhythm in more than one spell, which was a positive sign.

Verreynne’s work behind the stumps was very good, the coach added.

Verreynne’s first-class statistics suggest that the Cobras might possess a rare jewel who can bat anywhere from four to seven.

He has not been out of place when making the move from school-boy cricket to provincial level. A record of 691 runs in 11 first-class games at an average of 53.15 is not to be sniffed at
https://www.supersport.com/cricket/...0915/We_want_to_play_aggressive_cricket_Piedt

Last season was a disaster for Western Cape cricket with the off field shenanigans and on field performances that blighted the team. Former coach Paul Adams was taken to task by senior players and the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras – yes a mouthful – ended last in the Momentum One Day Cup and did not fare much better in the CSA T20 Challenge either.

Their Sunfoil Series started badly, losing three of their first five matches with two draws before the Cobras management decided to name Adams as the WP Academy coach and instil former middle-order Proteas batsman, Ashwell Prince, as the new head coach.

Prince’s effect was almost immediate as the Cobras bounced back in the second half of the Sunfoil season, winning three from five games to end third on the log while heading into the final round of games with an outside chance of actually winning the title!

“The style of cricket he wants us to play is an aggressive brand of bat and ball and that is the reason we ended last season the way we did in the four-day competition,” said captain, Dane Piedt.

“His character comes through to us in the team and it rubs off on all the players and that was a prime example of how we could go out there and express ourselves last season,” added Piedt, who has played seven tests for the Proteas, capturing 24 wickets.

Barring the nine senior players in the Cobras squad, the remaining thirteen players combine for an average age of just 24 years but this does not present a problem to the 27-year old captain. “We have a young squad and we don’t want to use that as an excuse. We just want to go out there and express ourselves again.”

“We didn’t give ourselves the best opportunity to do that last year. We now have a clean slate, we’ve had a good pre-season and we are ready to go out there and express ourselves. Silverware will always be a goal and the coach spoke to us about it,” said Piedt.

The Cape side have also been boosted by the return of Proteas stalwart, Temba Bavuma while JP Duminy’s presence in the side will also bode well for the Cobras, with Duminy having been dumped by the national selectors during the England series.

“It has been very good for us, (Duminy) being in and around the nets the last couple of weeks since he returned from England. It will be key how the youngsters form around JP as he is a big player for Western Cape cricket,” said Piedt of the 33-year old Proteas batsman.

“Having Temba is also very good for us, we are very good friends and I spoke to him about coming home. He will have some responsibility being a senior player and that will give him some confidence going into the new season,” added Piedt.

Qaasim Adams is also back in the Western Cape after having spent some time with the Multiply Titans but the Cobras have lost one of their key players in wicketkeeper, Dane Vilas. The 32-year old has moved on up the coast and will ply his trade with the Hollywoodbets Dolphins and seems to be in excellent form, having made a career-best 224 for Lancashire in England recently.

“Dane was here for six or seven years and he was a big player for us, he had some big seasons and it was sad to see him leave but we have an excellent young player in Kyle Verreynne. We just have to move on unfortunately,” stated Piedt.

The 20-year old former Wynberg Boys High pupil has some big shoes to fill but feels confident in the top-order, having recently made 70 in the No 3 slot during a pre-season game against the Warriors in Oudtshoorn. But Verreynne will have the experience of Andrew Puttick and Pieter Malan at the top of the order to guide him as well as the likes of Stiaan van Zyl and Justin Ontong around him.

” Putters (Puttick) is like a very good red wine, he just matures as time goes on. He is a big player for us, considering he’s been with us for something like 18 years,” said Piedt.

“He has the right to call time on his career but we hope that he will still be with us for the next couple of years. He has worked hard over the winter and we are looking forward to him and Pieter up top to give us good starts,” added Piedt.

The Cobras begin their four-day campaign against the current champions, the VKB Knights, at the Mangaung Oval in Bloemfontein on Tuesday 19 September and are raring to get their new season under way with all hands on deck and a passion to play good cricket.

“We are all good. Tsepo Moreki was our biggest concern on the injury front but he came through the warm ups well so for all intents and purposes he looks good. Everyone else is raring to go,” ended Piedt.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not only does Ngidi have a back issue but so does Dupavillon highlighted in this press release on the Dolphins. Really frustrating.

The Hollywoodbets Dolphins squad may be a little short of experience, but they are approaching the new season with hope and enthusiasm.

The Dolphins, who face the Multiply Titans in their opening Sunfoil Series match in Centurion on Tuesday, have lost a host of senior players over the last two seasons, including Kyle Abbott, David Miller, Jonathan Vandiar, Craig Alexander, Divan van Wyk, Cameron Delport, Daryn Smit and Ryan McLaren. These stocks have largely been replenished by youngsters with only wicketkeeper-batsman Dane Vilas a like-for-like replacement.

When a squad is described as “in transition”, as the Dolphins undoubtedly are, this is often used as an excuse for a lack of positive short-term results. This argument doesn’t sit well with skipper Khaya Zondo who is starting his first full season as captain after taking over the reins from Morne van Wyk in February.

Zondo, third in the first-class national averages with 740 runs at 67 last term, acknowledged that a number of his players are relatively untested at senior level but refused to lower his expectations.

“I expect a lot from the guys and obviously I want us to go out and compete for trophies. I don’t think much has to be changed from last season, beyond the fact that we must learn to handle the pressure situations better. In the Momentum Cup and at times in the four-day games we showed fight and a lovely energy, almost everything that we needed, but we need to learn to make things go our way more often in the important moments.”

Zondo said he was encouraged by the fact that the youngsters were showing lots of potential. While they required “guidance” from the senior players and the coaching staff, he still expected them to flourish.

“I’ve said to the youngsters that it’s not about seniors and juniors – anyone can be a star. The quicker a youngster starts to handle the pressure moments the better, whether with bat or ball. If he can do that then you know the squad is getting stronger.

“I don’t want to say seniors, seniors, seniors when half the side is composed of young guys. So for me, it’s a case of young guys maturing a lot quicker. Once they start to catch up with the more experienced players in terms of the quality of their performances then there’s more competition for places which is healthy.”

Coach Grant Morgan underlines his captain’s sentiments, saying that the squad has plenty of raw talent and enough of a smattering of senior players to win trophies. “Of course it’s going to take a really concerted effort, but we can do it. There are no excuses.

“If we plant the tree now, unselfishly, I believe we can pounce in the next couple of seasons,” he said.

The Dolphins have, however, some issues to overcome in the opening weeks. Vilas will miss the first two matches because of his commitments in English county cricket while fast bowlers Daryn Dupavillon and Lwandiswa Zuma both have injury problems.

Vilas’s absence ensures that veteran Morne van Wyk will keep wicket, while Dupavillon’s lower-back injury opens the door for young pacemen such as Okuhle Cele and Eathen Bosch to partner Rabian Engelbrecht. Spin resources are plentiful with Imran Tahir paired with arguably the most improved player in the Proteas squad, Keshav Maharaj. When they are absent, offspinner Prenelan Subrayen and left-arm tweaker Muthusamy will have more opportunities.

Meanwhile, the batting strength runs deep with the opening pair of Sarel Erwee and Senuran Muthusamy followed by last season’s top run-getter, Vaughn van Jaarsveld and Zondo and Van Wyk. The team is also rich in allrounders such as Robbie Frylinck, Andile Phehlukwayo, Calvin Savage and Sibz Makhanya.

Last season, the Dolphins finished fourth in the Sunfoil Series, fourth in the Momentum One-Day Cup and fifth in the CSA T20 Challenge.

SeamUp

International Coach
Every time I see Kyle Simmonds I am very impressed. Was player of the winter for the SA academy. He will play international cricket.

Also impressed with the keeper Ricardo Vasconcelos. He opens the batting too and along with Kyle Verreynne the Cobras look well stocked with 2 talented 20 year-old keepers.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
VKB Landbou squad for opening Sunfoil Series fixture vs Cobras in Bloem

Grant MOKOENA
Luthando MNYANDA
Theunis DE BRUYN (c)
Dave MILLER
Rudi SECOND (wk)
Keegan PETERSEN
Pite VAN BILJON

Werner COETSEE
Eddie LEIE

Duanne OLIVIER
Ottneil BAARTMAN
Mbulelo BUDAZA
Shadley VAN SCHALKWYK

SeamUp

International Coach
Final Round Robin Group game on in Africa Cup : Border vs KZN Inland - If KZN Inland win they through to Finals weekend with Namibia, Gauteng & Free State but if not then Boland will be through.

Franchise players Nqolo and Erwee scoring runs in this game but just watched a few balls of Grant Roelofsen and a few of his shots have me in no doubt he will be playing for the Dolphins very soon. Former SA u19 player who scored 160 vs England in a youth test. Unbelievable he couldn't get a Gauteng gig but he has made a very wise move to move to the coast. Oozes quality with mid-wicket drives, a cut and a pick up pull for 6. He keeps wicket as well.

That Gauteng conveyor belt.

KES
: de Kock, Valli, Roelofsen, de Zorzi, Mayet, van Buuren, Carmi LeRoux
[S.Cook, G.Smith, N.McKenzie, K.Jennings, Adam Bacher, Vilas, Pothas, van Jaarsveld]
[Ali Bacher, K.McKenzie, R.Jennings, L.Barnard, Winslow, H.Page]

St Stithians
: Rickelton, Vasconcelos, Ackerman, Mulder, Makwetu (SA u19), Campher (SA U19) Rabada
[Lumb, G.Elliott, Terbrugge]
[Roy Pienaar]

St Johns : Conway, Sayanvala, Dial
[Ramela]
[B.Mitchell, Rice]

St Davids : Miltz (SA u19)
[Bavuma, D.Hendricks]

Parktown : Dudgeon
[Shamsi]

Jeppe : Mogotsi, Molefe (SA u19)
[E.Rowan, Vincent. Adcock]

SeamUp

International Coach
Wonder if this means they going back to Cook.

There is a growing sense of anticipation coming from SuperSport Park in Centurion. After dominating with the white ball last season, claiming both the Momentum One-Day Cup and CSA T20 Challenge titles, the Titans were pipped at the post by the Knights, who crushed the Lions by an innings and 121 runs in the final round of the 2016-17 Sunfoil Series to win the tournament by a mere 1.78 points.

After so narrowly missing out on a clean sweep of domestic titles in his first season in charge, coach Mark Boucher makes no bones about his desire to fill the one vacancy in his trophy cabinet.

“I want to win this one badly,” Boucher said ahead his side’s opening game against the Dolphins on Monday. “I believe we have the squad to win it. We played good cricket at times last season but we weren’t always at our best.

“Having said that, there is a process and I’m not going to go out and start thinking about trophies. We have to live in the now.”

Right now, the optimism emanating out of Pretoria has been heightened by the appointment of Aiden Markram as captain of the four-day team.

Still sixteen days away from his twenty-third birthday, the fluent opening batsman is already well versed in the art of captaincy. In 2014 Markram skippered the South African U19s to World Cup glory and he has been selected to lead the SA ‘A’ side that will warm up Bangladesh on Thursday.

Ahead of what promises to be a watershed season with a potential national call up on the horizon, Markram is relishing the challenge of leading from the front.

“I’m really looking forward to captaining a few Proteas and a bunch of experience guys and I’m excited for it to start,” Markram said. “We’re all extremely hungry to win this trophy and we have a great culture here which makes my job as captain that much easier.”

It’s not just Markram’s leadership that Boucher will be banking on. The former Proteas wicketkeeper admits that he was disappointed with his side’s batting in the previous campaign and says he is expecting better performances from his willow wielders.

Of the nine batsmen that finished the season with an average of 50 or more, Markram was the only Titan with 51.36 runs per inning. But as any opener knows, some new ball deliveries simply have your name on it and he’ll need some help from his teammates at the other end.

“We were bowled out too cheaply too many times last season and that’s what ultimately cost us in the end,” Boucher says. “We never got over 300 enough times and that is definitely something that we’re conscious of.”

Indeed, the Titans only managed a score of 300 or more on four occasions, the lowest of all the teams in the competition.

However, when the Titans did cross that threshold they kicked on as all four of those scores surpassed the 400 mark. Only the Knights managed as many scores over 400.

Markram scored hundreds in two of those matches and both ended in innings victories. Big players make big contributions in winning causes and if Boucher is to secure the one title that eluded him last season, he will surely lean heavily on his new captain and the prodigious talent he possesses with the bat.

SeamUp

International Coach
COBRAS squad vs KNIGHTS in bloem

Dane Piedt (capt), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Simon Khomari, Pieter Malan, Aviwe Mgijima, Tshepo Moreki, Justin Ontong, Dane Paterson, Andrew Puttick, Jason Smith, Kyle Verreynne, Lizaad Williams.

The bowling attack of the WSB Cape Cobras is formidable, and the younger players who are vowing for places in the national team, can energize the Cape side to win the Sunfoil Series title in 2017/2018, said Temba Bavuma.

Bavuma is a seasoned South African star and a batting kingpin for the WSB Cobras in the opening Sunfoil Series match against the VKB Knights starting tomorrow.

Three seasons ago, Bavuma formed part of a Bizhub Highveld Lions team that won the competition when Chris Morris, Hardus Viljoen, Kagiso Rabada and Eddie Leie were fighting for national spots.

“This season it is the same incentive, with candidates like Dane Paterson, Dane Piedt, Jason Smith and Wayne Parnell contesting for national places in the Sunfoil Series.”

Paterson, Parnell, Tshepo Moreki, Lizaad Williams and Dane Piedt are formidable competitors, Bavuma mentioned.

Paterson captured 40 wickets or more (three seasons ago). Piedt knows the business and he has been taking close to 40 wickets or more a few occasions, while Vernon Philander, when he is available, can do the same, the South African star remarked.

“I have faced Lizaad Williams in the nets and he is the type of guy that can be destined for higher honours,” he said.

Ashwell Prince, the WSB Cape Cobras coach, said the team won’t change the style that had them winning three matches in the final five games of the previous Sunfoil Series campaign.

“Against the Lions, we chased down 260 in just over 50 overs and Wayne (Parnell) scored a thrilling century. That is the type of positive brand of cricket we want to play this season.

“Obviously, this season, points are also up for grabs if you draw. So, if we find ourselves under the pump with our backs against the wall, we want to show a good fight and secure the points.”

News from the VKB Knights’ camp is that the top-order batsman Rilee Rossouw is indisposed due to a finger operation, while the pace bowler Marchant de Lange is only scheduled to be back from Glamorgan after the first match.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Every time I see Kyle Simmonds I am very impressed. Was player of the winter for the SA academy. He will play international cricket.

Also impressed with the keeper Ricardo Vasconcelos. He opens the batting too and along with Kyle Verreynne the Cobras look well stocked with 2 talented 20 year-old keepers.
We have a number wof wk batsmen at the moment... great for depth, but you gotta feel sorry for those guys while QDK has the gloves. Its the same old that we had for years both with Richardson and Boucher who could just not be displaced from the SA team. At least QDK may give up the gloves long term considering he is a true world class batsmen.

SeamUp

International Coach
We have a number wof wk batsmen at the moment... great for depth, but you gotta feel sorry for those guys while QDK has the gloves. Its the same old that we had for years both with Richardson and Boucher who could just not be displaced from the SA team. At least QDK may give up the gloves long term considering he is a true world class batsmen.
It certainly is an interesting debate and I used to look at it if you keep you got no chance with QdK around.

But I'm almost looking at it now as an extra string to your bow as they can make it as batsman now. You seeing it all over the world now too.

Talking the likes of Verreynne, Vasconcelos, Cloete, Breetzke, Roelofsen, Gous, Rickelton, Moonsamy, Hermann in this new generation. Fortuin been a disappointment.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It certainly is an interesting debate and I used to look at it if you keep you got no chance with QdK around.

But I'm almost looking at it now as an extra string to your bow as they can make it as batsman now. You seeing it all over the world now too.

Talking the likes of Verreynne, Vasconcelos, Cloete, Breetzke, Roelofsen, Gous, Rickelton, Moonsamy, Hermann in this new generation. Fortuin been a disappointment.
Hopefully we get a couple of Sangakkara`s out of those....

SeamUp

International Coach
Announcement of Markram as Titans 4-day captain & limited overs vice captain with a few words from Boucher.

Aiden Markram named Sunfoil Series captain

TITANS SQUAD:Aiden Markram (Capt), Farhaan Behardien, Junior Dala, Henry Davids, Quinton de Kock, Tony de Zorzi, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Morne Morkel, Alfred Mothoa, Rowan Richards, Tabraiz Shamsi, Malusi Siboto, Jonathan Vandiar

No Kuhn, Morris, Steyn or Ngidi

Looks like Markram is staying for the Titans and not playing invitational game ?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Happy to see Walters not in the squad. Looks all nice with bounce but loses 2kph every season and averages 40+

Former SA u19 Lutho Sipamla travelling which is good to see. Him & Breetzke been through the age groups together.

http://mobi.supersport.com/cricket/...news/170918/Warriors_without_stars_for_opener

The Warriors head into the 2017-2018 cricket season hamstrung by the fact they will have to do without their Kolpak stars for the first three rounds of competition.

For any team, the absence of Colin Ingram, Colin Ackermann and Simon Harmer would leave a gaping hole in the line-up.

It is not only their ability that will be missing but also their experience which is key in the longer format of the game.

After skipping the majority of the Sunfoil Series last season, Ingram will take on the red ball again but upon his return from a successful stint with Glamorgan.

Ackermann was the Warriors' highest-scoring batsman last season with 883 runs, the most by any franchise batsman. And Harmer has just bowled Essex to their first championship title in 25 years by taking 63 wickets at less than 20 per victim.

Their unavailability is due mainly to the six-week T20 Global League being crammed into an already busy domestic schedule which means the season will start three weeks earlier than normal.

So it is clear that the Warriors' depth will be tested from the outset when they come up against the bizhub Highveld Lions at Bidvest Wanderers in the Sunfoil Series starting on Tuesday.

"This is supposed to be our big Sunfoil Series season," said coach Malibongwe Maketa. "But the way the fixtures have panned out with the lack of availability of out Kolpak players (because of the early start) is unfortunate.”

“We were looking at a really, really strong team for the entire campaign. We had built up for this season. We needed Colin Ingram and Colin Ackermann in our top six to compete from the word go. That's already 800 runs plus for the season from each of those players if they play well."

"But with them coming late it does give an opportunity to our younger players to try and prove they are worthy of batting in our top order and then when the Kolpak guys return, hopefully we will have a good problem for selection," added Maketa.

The Warriors made both white ball finals last season and performed well in the Sunfoil Series until the final stretch of games. They know, however, that trophy success is what their fans hunger for.

"We don't feel like we have any unfinished business. We know we had a decent season. Decent in the sense that we competed in all competitions. The fact that we did not manage to bring a trophy home means that we have got a lot of work to do in all formats.”

“But we don't feel we have anything to prove. But, we do have a good platform to build from."

Seamers Andrew Birch and Sisanda Magala will once have an important role to play with the ball while the experienced Jon-Jon Smuts will aim to be the rock upon which the team will be build its innings with the bat.

Smuts will also captain the team in all three formats of the game, a change from last season where Simon Harmer took the reins in the Sunfoil Series.
WARRIORS SQUAD: Andrew Birch, Aya Gqamane, Eddie Moore, David White, Sisanda Magala Gihan Cloete, Anrich Nortjie, Mo Vallie, Jerry Nqolo, Jon-Jon Smuts (capt), Lesiba Ngoepe, Clyde Fortuin, Lutho Sipamla.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Is this an indication that they think he will be available and not with the national side? Otherwise it is so very clear he is been groomed for bigger things. Not usual to pick a 22 year old as captain.
Mentioned it above but the Titans would look a bit stupid making these announcements if he isn't going to be around ?