• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Assuming India can enforce the follow on - Should it?

mkamdar

Cricket Spectator
Let's assume that India gets the remaining 4 wickets before the lunch session. Should India enforce the follow on or take a shot at playing till Tea to put on a couple of hundred runs and let Pak take a shot at winning? I want to read people's opinions.

Rich2001

International Captain
Enforce It

This series is far too important to the Indians to even consider the possibility of letting Pakistan win it.

Also a lot of talk has been how the Indians couldn't take 20 wickets in 5 days let alone taking up more valuable time in needlessly batting for a 2nd time.

I guess Pakistan could win it following on but I can't see the pitch getting bad enough to worry the Indians in a possible 2nd dig.

mkamdar

Cricket Spectator
Ok - What if Pakistan is able to avoid the follow on.

Ok - Let's assume that Pak is able to avoid the follow on - India still has a lead of 150 or so. How long should India bat & what target should it set for Pak? I know that there are variables here as far as when is Pak going to be all out etc, but I want to read people's opinion. I really can't find articles on the net that discuss possible strategies - the only thing I can find is reports on what happened and so on. I personally find the possible strategies much more interesting and stimulating.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As one of the few people in the world who thinks Ganguly got it right at the SCG...

If you knock them over for <476, get them in again and try to knock them over again and still leave yourselves time to knock off the target.

If you don't, then I don't think India can win. It would require an aggressive declaration to even remotely tempt Pakistan to go for it, and that would be a daft move given the climate of the series.

Having said that, 300 in 50 overs would make things distinctly tasty from a neutral's perspective.

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Having said that, 300 in 50 overs would make things distinctly tasty from a neutral's perspective.
From looking at the ODI series iam sure Pakistan would back themselves to get that and give it ago.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Rich2001 said:
From looking at the ODI series iam sure Pakistan would back themselves to get that and give it ago.
I tend to agree.

In this batting era with the infulence of ODI's, sides would be more willing to attempt to chase say 300 in 50 overs in tests. If you had the same situation in a test say 20 years ago, people would think that you would have no chance.

Rich2001

International Captain
Ford_GTHO351 said:
I tend to agree.

In this batting era with the infulence of ODI's, sides would be more willing to attempt to chase say 300 in 50 overs in tests. If you had the same situation in a test say 20 years ago, people would think that you would have no chance.
Yep times have changed... I say Pakistan would back themselves as unlike alot of teams (England etc) the Test side is very close to the ODI side so it's not like they have a load of ultra defending players and they all know how to play with each other etc.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
I believe forcing the follow on is probably the best strategy for India to follow and I cannot see Dravid doing otherwise given the risk that Pakistan may try to chase a target of 350 to 400 on the last day if he decides to bat again, setting a higher target would just be counterproductive as Pakistan will try to draw and time will also run out on India. If he forces the follow on he gets best of both worlds i.e. the chance of getting pakistan out cheaply again and then going for an all out attack to chase whatever total Pakistan have put up.

If pakistan set a decent total to chase then he has a choice to either bat attackingly to win to start off with and if that strategy is not coming off and a few wickets are lost then bat defensively to save the match.

Not forcing the follow on:

If India bat again and set Pakistan in the region of 500 to chase then a) time loss becomes a factor and secondly I cannot see Pakistan trying to get adventurous with the run chase. If he sets anything less he would be risking it and quite frankly I just do not see that happening given this is the first test and Dravid is Captain (I am assuming Dravid will captain like he bats ;)) classy but safe.

Pakistan do not follow on:

Unlikely as it sounds it can happen :). Same situation as the above scenario and Dravid has to make sure Pakistan are set an impossible total to chase and given very little time to do the chasing in. At which case Pakistan should rediscover the joys of front foot defence (hopefully).

Just my tupence..we will find out tomorrow.

rgrds

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only logical reason for not enforcing the follow-on would be to entice Pakistan into a second innings run chase. However, the pitch still appears to be such a plum that it's unlikely that there will be sufficient deterioration to give India much of a prayer of bowling Pakistan out on day 5 IF they decide to put the shutters up, even allowing for Sachin's prowess as the premier leggie in the side.:D

No, enforce the follow-on. Still, it would be nice to see what Dravid's approach would be if Pakistan just avoid it, how rapidly India try to set a target.

This game could yet prove to be interesting for other than just records.

PY

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Still, it would be nice to see what Dravid's approach would be if Pakistan just avoid it, how rapidly India try to set a target.
Would have to be Yuvraj and Sehwag opening the innings surely? Then Tendulkar, Dravid and possibly Pathan to throw the bat at the end?!?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd open with Sachin and Sehwag, they do it in the ODIs may as well with the tests. Plus I'm still a little worried about how Yuvraj would handle the new ball, I have faith in him but I'd rather Sachin out there... that's if the chase was on of course.

I think they should enforce it, and I really hope they do.

Craig

World Traveller
Pros:

Depends on how long it takes to get the last 4 wickets. If you get them quickly, you have the best part of two days to bowl out Pakistan.

Cons:

The wicket gets better and Pakistan bat better and score quickly. Also going in with three quicks, your bowlers suffer from the exthusaun (sp).

Bouncer

State Regular
There is no doubt in my mind that India Should not enforce the follw on and bat for about 40-55 ovars, the kindaa form their batting line up is its not hard for them to score 250+ in that time and 450+ would be a very dificult target for Pak to get even with in form **** batting line-up

Now as i am writing this, i am thinking that Indian batting line up is much better than the Pakistani one, so even if they put Pak in Bat and even if **** batting clic's in second innings, india can still pull off a target of 150-200 even under 30 ovars easily

Just enforce the follow on.

Pak team is going to perform even poorly in second innings, they look totally dejected and demoralised .I think India has a good chance of humiliating Pak by beating them by an innings margin.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, they are following on, in spite of a fairly long 10th wicket stand which suggests that batting isn't that hard still...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Fairly academic thread as Pakistan find the Neil Pickup inside themselves...
.....and what is the Neil Pickup inside the Pakistanis? In fact, what is the Neil Pickup inside anyone?:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anil said:
.....and what is the Neil Pickup inside the Pakistanis? In fact, what is the Neil Pickup inside anyone?:)
I for one hope I don't have a Neil Pickup inside me! :lol: