• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in India 2017

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to see if India will go with Rahane or Karun for this test. Will they drop the triple centurion or one of our most consistent performers in tests?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting to see if India will go with Rahane or Karun for this test. Will they drop the triple centurion or one of our most consistent performers in tests?
Just pick both. I can't see you needing 5 bowlers in India....

OverratedSanity

Just pick both. I can't see you needing 5 bowlers in India....
This has been my opinion for ages. No need for 5 bowlers in home conditions. Especially if we play Ashwin and Jadeja can handle the workload. Jayant too if it's a turner.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I will be strongly against playing 4 bowlers, because :

1. India already bats till 9, why do you want to beef it up anymore?
2. I don't want any of our bowlers breaking down before Australia in case we get a flat pitch.
3. Five bowlers are working for us, don't change a method that is working.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
India should & will play 5 bowlers..

It's an huge asset having a proper 5th bowling option, quite often turns out to be the partnership breaker. And especially in Indian conditions where spinners are the ones that are picking large majority of the wickets. It really is so beneficial having a 3rd spinning option..

We saw Jayant making crucial breakthroughs in the 3 Tests he played, he got Bairstow a couple of times when set as well as Root when set..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Really think we will see...

Vijay
Rahul
Kohli
Rahane
Nair
Saha (wk)
Ashwin
Jadeja
Jayant
Umesh
Ishant

But what I would want to see...

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Ashwin
Saha (wk)
Jadeja
Jayant
Bhuvi
Umesh/Ishant

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
1 key wicket by the 5th bowler can help restrict a lot of runs. Instead of 200/4 becoming 400/10, you can help dismiss the opposition for significantly less, eg 300/10.
which helps in winning the game.

Hypothetical figures-

5 bowlers, 6 batsmen
Aus 300/10
Ind 500/10

4 bowlers & 7 batsman
Aus 400/10
Ind 600/10

Aus scores more (one less bowler), India scores more.. (one extra batsman)

The latter only helps in extending the game, opening up a possible drawn result! And you are far less likely to win a game in 4 days with that approach.. (while a lot of the games recently have finished in around about 4 days).

Burgey

Will they really drop Pujara? Man that's unbelievable as a neutral observer. If the guys they do pick then excel against the Bangers I guess that means Pujara is unlikely to play against Australia which, tbh, kind of makes me happy.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Will they really drop Pujara? Man that's unbelievable as a neutral observer. If the guys they do pick then excel against the Bangers I guess that means Pujara is unlikely to play against Australia which, tbh, kind of makes me happy.
No chance of Pujara being dropped, last time he was dropped he was only scoring 20s 30s 40s 50s at a strike rate of sub 40, whereas now he's getting 100s and at a significantly faster scoring rate. India would have to be losing in the series with Pujara doing nothing ..for him to even be considered being left out..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Are you guys actually saying our current team management is incapable of committing a selection error to favor the more "expressive" batsmen? :p

But seriously, I would just drop Rahane for the moment. He has not been in good enough form and failed even in the ODI and dropping anyone else will be even more ridiculous anyways.

Daemon

It is pretty tempting to drop Rahane at home. I'd probably just leave Nair out though. Harsh but fair.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes but Nair also had only one bad test, that's it. Its a hard decision either way. Personally, I would drop Rahane but I am not too fussed if they drop Karun for Rahane either. Its ok either way for me as long as they dont mess up the top 4.

OverratedSanity

Yes but Nair also had only one bad test, that's it. Its a hard decision either way. .
Haha what kind of a statement is that? About as relevant as saying Nair has had one good test in his career so far :laugh:

Good problem to have though, will be harsh on whoever is left out.

OverratedSanity

India should & will play 5 bowlers..

It's an huge asset having a proper 5th bowling option, quite often turns out to be the partnership breaker. And especially in Indian conditions where spinners are the ones that are picking large majority of the wickets. It really is so beneficial having a 3rd spinning option..

We saw Jayant making crucial breakthroughs in the 3 Tests he played, he got Bairstow a couple of times when set as well as Root when set..
The problem with this is that in most of the tests were Jayant has played, one of the pacers has usually been a complete passenger. Umesh barely bowled in one of the games. It's just a waste of a spot. If you're going to go with 5 bowlers and one of them is hardly given a meaningful number of overs, it's a pointless strategy. You can get much more value by adding another batsman instead.

Last edited:

Daemon

The problem with this is that in most of the tests were Jayant has played, one of the pacers has usually been a complete passenger. Umesh barely bowled in one of the games. It's just a waste of a spot. If you're going to go with 5 bowlers and one of them is hardly given a meaningful number of overs, you can get much more value by adding another batsman instead.
Idk, I think it's more likely Smith bats big and Australia manage to draw than Australia bowl us out cheap and win. I'd prefer the option that helps us get more wickets. Shami was used very nicely in short bursts during the England series and that was partly thanks to Jayant.