• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Day Tests The Way To Go

DriveClub

International Regular
Blacking out wouldn't work as broadcasting rights is the main source of funding for all the cricket boards, if blacked out they'll have to sell the rights for a lower sum

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It wouldn't work at all in this day-and-age! It is an absurd proposal.

You'd probably get people filming it illegally with their phones and ********* online.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This could well have been discussed before but anyway.....

I listen to a sports radio show each morning on the way to work and one of the presenters is always banging on about how they should play test matches over 4 days in an attempt to revitalise the format. He usually gets a few laughs as the other presenters mock him but does he have a point? Would this be a good idea?

Me, I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea as the games usually seem to be won before or very early on the 5th day. When a 5th day is required the crowd is basically non-existent. If they were going to move to 4 days I wouldn’t want the actual length of play to be shorter though. Add an extra session into each days play. Perhaps have the extra session in the evening to capture the appeal of the day night tests as well. I suspect the crowd would be at least as big as the current 5 day format with the benefit of likely increased F&B revenue as the spectators spend more time feeding their faces and getting boozed.

Over to the forum for thoughts.
Nah.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I do think 4 day tests should be optional in some circumstances. I'd rather see NZ play 3 match 4-day series than 2 match 5-day series, at least against the weaker touring sides. But overall, yeah 5 days is best.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The key to 4 day tests essentially will be day/night and pink balls. I dont think you can expect teams to bowl 105 overs in 7 hours of play. You add in the breaks and you are always going into overtime. If we get more day/night tests, then this ceases to be a problem, or even if we start using pink balls for the day tests (like how we use white balls for day ODIs when they were still a thing), then you get the option of simply switching on the lights and continuing to play to get the required overs in.

DriveClub

International Regular
Definitely not. The 5th days of both Sydney and the Gabba were riveting viewing.
Sadly i was talking with my work mate about the series and he's obviously not a big cricket fan but said day 5 of SCG test was so boring he turned off the tv. That days play put him off watching the 4th test. Test cricket will always be a niche sport I think.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Players who are crowd pullers can revive Test Cricket.

But unfortunately, their numbers are declining.
e.g.
in late 90's, PAK had 2Ws, Inzi, Afridi & Shoaib. 2010 -- no one. 2020 -- Babar
in 2000 , India had Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly & Sehwag. 2010 -- Kohli. 2020 -- Gill (he has flair) + a Pacer with attitude (may be Siraj)
in 2000 , Aus had Ponting, Warne, Gilchrist & Hayden. 2010 -- Smith. 2020 -- any Dashing player

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Even before the last couple of Oz V India Tests totally hated this idea. Seemed conjured up by people who loathe Test cricket and want it to appeal to those who'll never like Test cricket anyway.

If you want 4 day sporting events that last from Thursday to Sunday go and follow golf.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sadly i was talking with my work mate about the series and he's obviously not a big cricket fan but said day 5 of SCG test was so boring he turned off the tv. That days play put him off watching the 4th test. Test cricket will always be a niche sport I think.
Your workmate is an idiot. He's probably a trump supporter his opinions are that bad.