• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Era XIs

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Agreed. But that does not Warne any better than Murali with the ball. Surely its better to pick bowlers for their bowling. Warne is a better batsman but nothing exceptional battingwise.
it is my personal preference to have Warne in there, the gap between them in bowling is slight..and Warne is a better batsman..so there:P

Beleg

International Regular
Era IX ODI Team.

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Haynes
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Richards------Captain
6. Gilly---Keeper
7. Hadlee
8. Wasim-----VC.
9. Warne
10. Holding
11. Murlitharan

Era IX Test Team.

1. Haynes.
2. Gavaskar
3. Brian Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Richards-----VC.
6. Gilly----WK
7. Botham
8. Imran Khan----Captain
9. Andy Roberts
10. Murlitharan
11. Warne

In my era I team, I'll fit in Frank Wolley somehow too.

And in my Era III team Bedsar, or even Stathem or even Fazal Mahmood for Freddie Trueman. And perhaps Sir Frank Worrell instead of Weekes as the captain.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Beleg said:
Era IX ODI Team.

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Haynes
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Richards------Captain
6. Gilly---Keeper
7. Hadlee
8. Wasim-----VC.
9. Warne
10. Holding
11. Murlitharan

Era IX Test Team.

1. Haynes.
2. Gavaskar
3. Brian Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Richards-----VC.
6. Gilly----WK
7. Botham
8. Imran Khan----Captain
9. Andy Roberts
10. Murlitharan
11. Warne

In my era I team, I'll fit in Frank Wolley somehow too.

And in my Era III team Bedsar, or even Stathem or even Fazal Mahmood for Freddie Trueman. And perhaps Sir Frank Worrell instead of Weekes as the captain.
Haynes in the test team....................what!!!!!!

The era 4 one day team is effectively an all-time XI. Here's mine.

G.Greenidge
S.Tendulkar
V.Richards (c)
B.Lara
D.Jones
M.Bevan
A.Gilchrist (wk)
R.Hadlee (vc)
C.Ambrose
J.Garner
M.Muralitharan

12th Man: Wasim Akram

Ambrose and Garner were ideal one day bowlers, with nagging accuracy and bounce. Hadlee was also fantastically suited to the one day game with his wonderful swing bowling (and quick scoring batting). They all went for under 3.5 runs an over.

Muralitharan is the most successful spin bowler in one-day cricket.

Richards and Tendulkar are good enough to bowl 10 overs between them, thus making up the 5th bowler.

I feel harsh leaving Wasim out, he was phenomenal, but there is no room for him unfortunetly.

Imran, Botham and Kapil have surprisingly modest records in the short form of the game.

Beleg

International Regular
What's wrong with Haynes? From what I have seen of him, I find him a very superior batsman. The only people who can give him a run for his money there is Mark Taylor or Atherton.

No doubt Garner and Ambrose were great bowlers, but in my opinion, on run-fest pitches, Wasim would have proven much then them, as is the case with ODI's during the 90's and 00's.

I agree with you on Hadlee.

Dean Jones is, what I would call the surprise package.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Beleg said:
What's wrong with Haynes? From what I have seen of him, I find him a very superior batsman. The only people who can give him a run for his money there is Mark Taylor or Atherton.

No doubt Garner and Ambrose were great bowlers, but in my opinion, on run-fest pitches, Wasim would have proven much then them, as is the case with ODI's during the 90's and 00's.

I agree with you on Hadlee.

Dean Jones is, what I would call the surprise package.
Sorry I probably didn't make my point clear, Haynes was one of the finest one day openers of all time, and he was also a very good test player. That is it, very good. As you say, Taylor and Atherton give him a run for his money. IMO a number of players in the last 30 years have more than matched him as test opener, among them.... Gavaskar, Hayden, Greenidge, Boycott, B.Richards etc.

That was why I was so surprised that you selected him in the Era 4 Test team.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barry Richards is beyond 30 years ago.

For me Haynes is right up there in the best level of openers in that era, certainly comfortably above Atherton and Taylor.

I wouldn't put Hayden in that top rank either, but would suggest Graham Gooch...

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Barry Richards is beyond 30 years ago.

For me Haynes is right up there in the best level of openers in that era, certainly comfortably above Atherton and Taylor.

I wouldn't put Hayden in that top rank either, but would suggest Graham Gooch...
The majority of Barry Richards career was after 1970.

Are you suggesting Haynes is better than Hayden? Hayden averages 58 with 18 centuries in 52 matches, while Haynes also made 18 hundreds despite playing more than twice as many matches and averaging only 42.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
His Test Career wasn't though :)

Haynes for me was a far better player - not looking at the scorebook here.

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
His Test Career wasn't though :)
I was refering to Test cricket.

Haynes for me was a far better player - not looking at the scorebook here.
So you know better than the game itself? If their performances were similar your statement would be fair enough. Personal preferences are OK when the evidence is ambiguous. In this case it appears clear that the ozzie was the more effective player. At the end of the day, its the player that scores the most runs that wins the match, not the player who appears more accomplished.

Craig

World Traveller
Swervy said:
Imran Khans performances never came close to what Botham acheived between 1977 and 1982.

yeah and i would have Greenidge in there as well
True but Imran wasnt captain then.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
this is my Era 4 test team

1. Haynes
2. Hayden
3. Dravid
4. Tendulkar
5. Richards
6. S.Waugh
7. Gilchrist
8. Akram
9. Warne
10. Muralitharan
11.Walsh

12. McGrath

Reserves: Gavaskar, Hadlee, Garner

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
Murali is pretty obviously a better bowler than Warne.
I won't start this up again.

My era 4 team:

Hayden
Gavaskar
Lara
Tendulkar
Richards
Waugh
Healy
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Garner

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Swervy said:
as i say Botham between 1977 and 1982 (before his back started giving him jip) was the best all rounder the world has seen since Sobers...and no one has matched those performances since either.
Agreed.

IMO, Botham is as near as anyone will get to Sobers.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that just because someone fininshed their carear with better averges does not make them a better player.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
I was refering to Test cricket.
So you know better than the game itself? If their performances were similar your statement would be fair enough. Personal preferences are OK when the evidence is ambiguous. In this case it appears clear that the ozzie was the more effective player. At the end of the day, its the player that scores the most runs that wins the match, not the player who appears more accomplished.
first of all figures are not everything. if u use your beloved averages everywhere then trescothick would be an amazing batsman.....james anderson would be an all rounder and hussain and butcher would be useless.
if u havent seen cricket from the WI era then i think u should shut up and stop stating things that u know nothing about. u cannot compare players from different eras!!why?because pitches in the 70s and 80s offered a lot more than they do now.hell people used to be scared to open the batting...nowadays u see people like sehwag opening the batting. u cannot refute that pitches are better now than they ever were.
also the standard of bowling has definetly gone down. haynes would have come up against lilee,hadlee,botham,kapil dev,imran khan,willis etc on seaming wickets...hayden on the other hand has played only a few.
also i would like to see hayden play well in england...the last time he went there he had a really bad tour-not that im saying he cant but it would definetly porve that he can play all around the world

Craig

World Traveller
Also in New Zealand if they produce green wickets. Which they have a habit of doing. Martin Crowe will tear into them off course.

Not surprising since Crowe as a batsman and a fine one too (for New Zealand that is, maybe not all-time stuff).

hellnback

Cricket Spectator
Although Barry Richards didn't play much Test cricket to ultimately proove himself his last series, which sadly it was also his first, he scored 508 runs @ 72.57 in 4 Tests against what was at the time a very strong Australian team.

Many people who had the fortune to see him bat said, (and a few made this lists) he was one of the very best.

I have no doubt if he had have had the chance for more Tests that he would've ended with an average easily in excess of 50, and in partnership with Pollock (who only ended up with 23) would have entered cricket folklore.

p.s. In regards to Muralitharan, he's not a bowler, he throws. Therefore is ineligible for 'Greatest Lists'. But hey, that's my opinion.