• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj should play in tests

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj is a very good batsman when the ball comes on the bat at a good pace. However, when it comes in slow and low, he has his problems. That was why he had problems in the World Cup final against Brad Hogg (whom even out of form Sri Lankans thrashed in Sydney) and Michael Clarke, but in Australia, he got a lot of runs. The new ball bounces higher than the old ball. As for the movement, he has to make the adjustment himself. We have not seen him play against the new ball moving, yet. Chopra's lack of runs was not affecting the team because Sehwag got a lot of runs. But given what McGrath said, the bowlers who can cause problems for the Indians were out of action and the pitches were flat, so Sehwag got those runs. But what if he doesn't? That would leave Chopra, who can't reach 30, as one batsman who can't contribute. He has to be more positive, and that can happen with a little bit of ODI cricket, as a reserve opener. Both batsmen are good choices for opening the batting. So is Gautam Gambhir.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
No one's doubting Yuvraj's ability to play pace, he's brilliant at that

i dont know... sometimes he looked pretty ordinary against the pace of lee (seen him get bowled trying to flick lee too often) and he hangs his bat out side the off in no mans land like ganguly.

I'd agree with you and stick with chopra for a while. He has a few 50's and a couple of 40's so far. Its only his second innings that needs to pick up but im sure he would develop that in time.(apparently he was advised by former indian greats to cut down most of his strokes in aus which might have been responsible for his average scores....just may be)

ReallyCrazy

Banned
what are you guys talkin about? Ganguly is a very good batter. He certainly deserves his place in the test side. His avergae is a lot better than many players who you guys seem to think of as great. And he's a good captain under whom India have won the most number of tests.

He's only 31 thats younger than half the australian side. You guys need to worry about them retiring before ganguly retiring.

Swervy

International Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
what are you guys talkin about? Ganguly is a very good batter. He certainly deserves his place in the test side. His avergae is a lot better than many players who you guys seem to think of as great. And he's a good captain under whom India have won the most number of tests.

He's only 31 thats younger than half the australian side. You guys need to worry about them retiring before ganguly retiring.

heheheheh..hohoho:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...so why do they call you Really Crazy then

anzac

International Debutant
Ganguly's comments can also be taken as a bit of a red herring IMO as they neatly deflect the talk away from Yuvraj looking for a place in the middle order and as a potential replacement for himself.......;)

furthermore with the continuous discussion regarding the merits of Chopra or Sehwag as openers, it also neatly puts the pressure & focus back on these 2 as batsmen - Sehwag must continue to score well because he is not a 'classic' opener and can be very vulnerable at the start of his innings (I wonder what his 1st chance average is like???? - no just kidding!!!!!):D

if for some reason Sehwag had a bad run & Yuvraj got his chance, it also removes another potential replacement for Ganguly in the middle order in Sehwag!!!!

similarly Chopra must both see the new ball attack off and start to score runs to capitalise on his starts...........Chopra is a 'traditional' type opener similar to Richardson - main focus is to see off the new ball attack as opposed to scoring runs early in the innings...............

either way neither is likely to happen & Yuvraj will have to wait his turn for retirements or injury etc................much like M Waugh..............

:)

Craig

World Traveller
I will go one step further on Chopra: I will say he is the best or one of the best short leg fielder/s in the world.

masterblaster

International Captain
Looks like Yuvraj might get a shot in the Indian middle order in the first test with Sourav Ganguly looking doubtful....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Raj123 said:
i dont know... sometimes he looked pretty ordinary against the pace of lee (seen him get bowled trying to flick lee too often) and he hangs his bat out side the off in no mans land like ganguly.
Brilliant was probably an hyperbole but its definitely his strength. He's been known to struggle with the slower bowlers, well mainly spinners because he did tonk Harvey around in Sydney for his ton :D

If Ganguly can't play the first test (which I hope he can) then Yuvraj should slot into his position and then we'll be able to see how he goes.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
What is actually Ganguly's injury?
Going (gone) to hospital today for scans on his lower back - no other news yet.

It looked more a muscular thing than a disc, but I could be wrong (hope not)

Raj123

U19 Debutant
(which I hope he can)
i have split opinion about this.
on one hand pakistan is one team that ganguly seems to do very good against and on the other i am excited about having an indian team(probably for the 1st time) in which every player is a good fielder and wont embarass the fans........aaaah, i thought it would never happen!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, Ganguly's fielding is exposed more so in the limited overs game than the tests. But yes, Yuvraj in the team would improve India's fielding ten fold, and the day Kaif gets in there well by God it'll be even better.

However Ganguly's presence as captain heading into a huge test match against Pakistan is crucial. People can argue he's not a good captain, and I respect their opinion though I disagree. But no one can argue that it is crucial for a team to be led by its captain heading into the first test, especially a reasonably young India going against Pakistan.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
i know....india needs ganguly as captain despite obvious chinks in his armour esp. in pakistan.

i was really hoping laxman would fail is australia so badani could cement his place in the side and compensate for a ganguly's fielding bloopers but even that is now thrown out the window. oh well that will just be a dream

masterblaster

International Captain
Raj123 said:
i was really hoping laxman would fail is australia so badani could cement his place in the side and compensate for a ganguly's fielding bloopers but even that is now thrown out the window. oh well that will just be a dream
YOU WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

How dare you want the most elegant and stylish Indian player to fail!!!!!!!!

:!( :!( :!( :!( :!(

Raj123

U19 Debutant
after his antics in the tvs cup final who wouldnt....anyway before his aus tour he was only an average 1 day player

mate, in one days grace takes a back seat. you need extreme fitness, ability to knock youself out in the field and brute force with good technique. except for the last he lacks any of the other qualities, so i dont think it is as big a crime as you make it out to be.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Raj123 said:
before his aus tour he was only an average 1 day player
Whats his record before got to do with him now? An "average" player does not score 5 (?) centuries (OD and Test) in one Australian summer. And now he's gotten this century in a deciding one day match... dont tell me you still think hes average?!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:
How dare you want the most elegant and stylish Indian player to fail!!!!!!!!

:!( :!( :!( :!( :!(

hell even i want to see him perform. hes a great, elegant batsman, handy bowler and excellent fielder :)