• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden cricketers of the year

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Welcome Atichon - good to add another nationality to CW!

We covered this (briefly) mid-VB series - I stick to:

Ed Smith
Graeme Smith
Heath Streak
Ricky Ponting
Makhaya Ntini

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:

We covered this (briefly) mid-VB series - I stick to:

Ed Smith
Graeme Smith
Heath Streak
Ricky Ponting
Makhaya Ntini
has ponting never got on it before???

If not, that list looks pretty good to me

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:

Ed Smith
Graeme Smith
Heath Streak
Ricky Ponting
Makhaya Ntini
What's up with all the Europeans lately? We've now got a Dutch, an Austrian, a French and a Norwegian (not that they post that regularly, but I've seen them around)...

So Steve Harmison has got it already, then? Or is Ed Smith's award for the county season? (not sure how they pick cricketers of the year)

I'd perhaps pick Bevan instead of Streak...not so much for the current season, but for the fact that Bevan's one of the best OD batsmen out there - regardless of all his not-outs.

Swervy

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
What's up with all the Europeans lately? We've now got a Dutch, an Austrian, a French and a Norwegian (not that they post that regularly, but I've seen them around)...

So Steve Harmison has got it already, then? Or is Ed Smith's award for the county season? (not sure how they pick cricketers of the year)

I'd perhaps pick Bevan instead of Streak...not so much for the current season, but for the fact that Bevan's one of the best OD batsmen out there - regardless of all his not-outs.
i would have thought that maybe Bevan has made the list before and so cant make this years list

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
This year has been one of the worst in MG's distinguished career!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I stick to:

Ed Smith
Graeme Smith
Heath Streak
Ricky Ponting
Makhaya Ntini
Very possibly. Certainly all have a very good case. Graeme is surely a certainty.

Swervy

International Captain
well there you go...he hasnt ever been in it

The current Aussies in the national set up who have are: Warne,McGrath,Langer,Lehmann,Gilchrist,Gillespie,Martyn and Hayden.

I dont think Beven will get in though

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Richard said:
This year has been one of the worst in MG's distinguished career!
Correct, sadly. But I thought they picked over the whole career - or is it someone who has been outstanding over the year and not got it before?

Swervy

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Correct, sadly. But I thought they picked over the whole career - or is it someone who has been outstanding over the year and not got it before?
yeah its just for that year.

Swervy

International Captain
PY said:
Here's the winners list:
Wisden Cricketers Of The Year

One of the winners, I think I'm right in saying, is usually an outstanding performer from English domestic cricket although I can't pick one out from 2002.
they dont have to be from domestic scene....the Aussies came over to England in 2001 and so they dominate the list in the same way they dominated the season

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
1. Jacques Kallis
2. Ricky Ponting
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Muttiah Muralitharan
5. Makhaya Ntini
Murali and Dravid cannot be picked because they have already been there

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Dravid and Murali have already won it.

If Kallis makes it 6 in 6 over the weekend then he's in with a great shot.. maybe instead of Streak (he has to win it at some point).

Ed Smith I think is a banker due to his barnstorming county season (don't forget Wisden is UK-based)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There are two links to lists of past winners in this thread... :rolleyes:

And, yes, Mushie won it in 1997.