• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Tom Flint

International Regular
I heard that journalist moonda that you guys always talk about on a British radio station.
Jeez she sounds like she hates south Africa and the south African cricket team

Stefan9

International Debutant
Dale says if he would have played today he would be able to get through 12-15 overs a day.

Will be playing for Hampshire in June to prepare for Sri Lanka.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So the SA team feels pretty stable at the moment.

Mulder needs to debut sooner rather than later I think, Also see how the SA 'a' and spin camp tour goes.

SL tour, Steyn/Ngidi in for Morkel, possibly Mulder in for Bavuma/de Bruyn, outside the box shot at maybe Muthusamy getting picked for the squad.

Squad: Markram, Elgar, Amla, de Villiers, Faf, Bavuma, Mulder, QDK, Rabada, Philander, Maharaj, Steyn, Ngidi, Piedt, Muthusamy/de Bruyn

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bavuma's spot is the only weak point for SA, you feel (and even he scored runs in this match). Plenty of depth with Steyn amd Ngidi. Good times for you guys.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Bavuma's spot is the only weak point for SA, you feel (and even he scored runs in this match). Plenty of depth with Steyn amd Ngidi. Good times for you guys.
Not sure I'd put too much faith on Steyn going forward - think SA need to position the attack around Rabada and Ngidi.
Also, I think they should debut Mulder in SL. SL are still rebuilding as a side so I don't think its a bad time to blood a youngster over there plus SA will probably need 5 bowlers.

SeamUp

International Coach
Probably better to put it here but to some up SA's batting stocks and talent coming through.

Having the potential is a good thing. Probably how we would try start off.

de Bruyn
Hamza
Bavuma
Mulder

If we being realisitc it will be tough for: P.Malan, 'Ackermann' , Agathangelou, R.Hendricks, van der Dussen & even Klaasen, Second (keepers) to break-in despite having good seasons past -it's just that what I have seen of them before this point and the stage of their careers. Ackermann, Klaasen and Second I would have no problem with though if required. I also wouldn't be able to count on the Warriors opening pair Cloete/Moore who despite having decent seasons I think have so many issues.

Need to get the following playing franchise cricket : Rickelton, J.Malan, Roelofsen, Bedingham, du Plooy, Ackerman
Then we can see them compete with Hamza, Muthusamy, Mulder, de Zorzi, Moonsamy , Verreynne

Did you hear Robbie P talk about the SA u19s ? They expected to do better than 5th. Talented group. Still got 3 into the team of the tournament and could have had one or two more. Exciting to see how Breetzke, Pillay, van Tonder, Makwetu progress. I am surprised Makwetu didn't make the SA Academy squad considering everything especially with Qeshile being behind him for SA u19s and making it.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Not sure I'd put too much faith on Steyn going forward - think SA need to position the attack around Rabada and Ngidi.
Also, I think they should debut Mulder in SL. SL are still rebuilding as a side so I don't think its a bad time to blood a youngster over there plus SA will probably need 5 bowlers.
If you saw him bowl in the Ram Slam and against India at Newlands you can see he still has it and but for a freak cricketing injury (compare it to a hit on the finger as a batsmen) there was a good chance he would have been fine. This is also talk from knowledgeable people within the camp about his fitness and hunger to play test cricket. You wouldn't think he is 34 turning 35 but he is quite the busy guy doing stuff that requires physical demands in his general day life.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Probably better to put it here but to some up SA's batting stocks and talent coming through.

Having the potential is a good thing. Probably how we would try start off.

de Bruyn
Hamza
Bavuma
Mulder

If we being realisitc it will be tough for: P.Malan, 'Ackermann' , Agathangelou, R.Hendricks, van der Dussen & even Klaasen, Second (keepers) to break-in. I also wouldn't be able to count on the Warriors opening pair Cloete/Moore who despite having decent seasons I think have so many issues.

Need to get the following playing franchise cricket : Rickelton, J.Malan, Roelofsen, Bedingham, du Plooy, Ackerman
Then we can see them compete with Hamza, Muthusamy, Mulder, de Zorzi, Moonsamy , Verreynne

Did you hear Robbie P talk about the SA u19s ? They expected to do better than 5th. Talented group. Still got 3 into the team of the tournament and could have had one or two more. Exciting to see how Breetzke, Pillay, van Tonder, Makwetu progress. I am surprised Makwetu didn't make the SA Academy squad considering everything especially with Qeshile being behind him for SA u19s and making it.
Didn't hear the talk but those players, Breetzke, Pillay, van Tonder, looked good. Also G. Coetzee.

I think Ackerman still wants to play for SA but we shall see. Realistically we need 3 or 4 batsmen of those 8/10 to start coming good in the next 2 years and SA are fine for another 5/6 years after that.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If you saw him bowl in the Ram Slam and against India at Newlands you can see he still has it and but for a freak cricketing injury (compare it to a hit on the finger as a batsmen) there was a good chance he would have been fine. This is also talk from knowledgeable people within the camp about his fitness and hunger to play test cricket. You wouldn't think he is 34 turning 35 but he is quite the busy guy doing stuff that requires physical demands in his general day life.
Similar to ABdV may go longer than expected due to this time off... de Villiers may be different with his family, but I can seriously see Steyn go for another 3+ years provided the body holds up.

SeamUp

International Coach
Similar to ABdV may go longer than expected due to this time off... de Villiers may be different with his family, but I can seriously see Steyn go for another 3+ years provided the body holds up.
I couldn't agree more.

Read an interview where Dale said he isn't married like the others and he wants to carry on playing cricket. He definitely will break Pollock's record and I read that he wants a 100 tests. Currently on 86.

Sri Lanka (3)
Zimbabwe (1)
Pakistan (3)
Sri Lanka (3)
India (3)
England (5)

Even with the odd game missed he should get to a 100 if he proves his fitness.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm surprised you guys are still so positive about Steyn coming back. Guy has been injured virtually non-stop for 3 years now. Not sure I've ever seen a bowler come back and continue on successfully after such a long injury-riddled spell.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm surprised you guys are still so positive about Steyn coming back. Guy has been injured virtually non-stop for 3 years now. Not sure I've ever seen a bowler come back and continue on successfully after such a long injury-riddled spell.
1 major injury which he initially rushed back from (18 months out), this recent foot injury was just bad luck. I do wonder how much of holding him back was because we did not really need him. Why rush him back when our bowling stocks look good. Easier to pick him now Morkel is retired. He gets a good stint in England and we go from there... its his desire to play, natural athlete and general fitness that gives us hope.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
So the SA team feels pretty stable at the moment.

Mulder needs to debut sooner rather than later I think, Also see how the SA 'a' and spin camp tour goes.

SL tour, Steyn/Ngidi in for Morkel, possibly Mulder in for Bavuma/de Bruyn, outside the box shot at maybe Muthusamy getting picked for the squad.

Squad: Markram, Elgar, Amla, de Villiers, Faf, Bavuma, Mulder, QDK, Rabada, Philander, Maharaj, Steyn, Ngidi, Piedt, Muthusamy/de Bruyn
Really hope Piedt isn't selected. Has looked so defensive and lacking in any sort of penetration for a good while now... Would prefer Muthusamy, Shamsi, heck even von Barrel.