• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
Elgar in cracking form : 34, 27, 113*, 8, 68, 131*, 55

Cook picking up : 2, 0, 64, 0, 18, 60

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Elgar in cracking form : 34, 27, 113*, 8, 68, 131*, 55

Cook picking up : 2, 0, 64, 0, 18, 60
I saw Elgar going great guns... did not see the extra 50+ from Cook. Think that will leave Markram an opening if he scores runs on the A tour.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Parnell to undergo heart tests

South African seamer Wayne Parnell will undergo heart tests, after experiencing tightness in his chest - and an abnormally fast pulse.

Parnell is currently in the United Kingdom, playing for Kent - and bowled just four overs in Tuesday's Royal London One-Day Cup fixture with Somerset before leaving the field due to the ailment.

The 27-year-old has a history of heart-related problems - and suffered a similar scare while playing for South Africa A against India A three years ago.

"Wayne had some discomfort in the chest and he was found to have had an irregular heartbeat," team manager of South Africa, doctor Mohammed Moosajee, told Cricinfo at the time.

"At the moment, the tests have found that he has settled down and now it’s just about discovering what’s wrong."

SeamUp

International Coach
Great news... lets avoid major injuries for awhile with the SA team!
In this case it wasn't an injury. :D

Suppose the concern is that he had a similar incident while with SA 'A' a few years ago.

Actually been putting in some performances for Kent. Seen some of his wickets and they clean bowled, caught behind the wicket etc which he really needs to do more of for SA.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
In this case it wasn't an injury. :D

Suppose the concern is that he had a similar incident while with SA 'A' a few years ago.

Actually been putting in some performances for Kent. Seen some of his wickets and they clean bowled, caught behind the wicket etc which he really needs to do more of for SA.
I have black tinted glasses when looking at him because of all the bad experiences... but he is 27, played international for awhile and batting and bowling really well at the moment. We should actually be happy... just that niggling doubt back of my mind!

(In many ways I would rather play him than Duminy....!)

SeamUp

International Coach
I have black tinted glasses when looking at him because of all the bad experiences... but he is 27, played international for awhile and batting and bowling really well at the moment. We should actually be happy... just that niggling doubt back of my mind!

(In many ways I would rather play him than Duminy....!)
I know what you mean.

I also get irritated with mediocrity & he has been lucky to play sometimes.

He has to step up consistently now. There has been a slight improvement but we need more.

Dendarii

International Debutant
https://www.supersport.com/rugby/sa..._steam_ahead_for_plan_to_host_Rugby_World_Cup

Just as a point on the quotas and allowing for hosting international competition. And if rugby is close to 60% well then my maths is very very bad....whether cricket would get the same consideration is another thing though.
From what I understand, each sporting code was allowed to set their own criteria, although the Sports ministry did have to sign off on it. So while cricket's is 55% representation in the national side (amongst other things), rugby is presumably something different. That an article does also mention cricket and netball, so CSA would also be allowed to bid for international events.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointing would like to have watched the great man be bowling again. It will be interesting if and who they may pick as a 4th seamer assuming Morkel, Rabada and Philander are all fit.