• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He hasn't TBH. Can't imagine SL doing what they did earlier this year if they were facing Steyn anywhere near his best. He's generally looked the weakest link in SA's attack recently (most attackable and prone to breaking down as well).

Babar also took him apart a bit, though that was some absolute quality batting.
Eh, even in the SL series, he was the best bowler in the first test by a distance. The entire attack looked impotent against SL for some reason in the 2nd.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Does Morris open the bowling in domestic cricket? He seems to have done better when opening the bowling for South Africa than coming on first change (Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com), but I realise that it might be clutching at the wispiest of straws to hope that opening the bowling suits him better.
He opens the bowling for the titans but that doesn't change the inconsistency. This season one game he took 5 for 20 and in another he went for 82 of 10. Morris is what he is, its way too late for him to change...

Bahseph

State Captain
Media reports suggesting it will be Shamsi tomorrow. If that's the case then I'm calling:
1. Qdk
2. Hash/Markram
3. Faf
4. Miller/Markram
5. Russie
6. Duminy
7. Lucky
8. Morris
9. Rabada
10. Tahir
11. Shamsi.

Hash seems to be back, and if he is he goes up top . Hope it's not Aiden to miss out.

SeamUp

International Coach
List A stats

Once you moved past Morkel, Abbott, de Lange, Viljoen, Parnell, Wiese, Olivier I don't think any of these guys will be the answer.

MORRIS
Lions 23 wkts @ 34.82 @ 5.25 RPO
Titans 21 wkts @ 24.57 @ 4.60 RPO
SA A 14 wkts @ 14.71 @ 3.51 RPO
SA 35 wkts @ 40.42 @ 5.62 RPO

PRETORIUS
Lions 38 wkts @ 39.63 @ 5.23 RPO
SA A 15 wkts @ 27.60 @ 3.66 RPO
SA 24 wkts @ 31.70 @ 4.93 RPO

HENDRICKS
Cobras 25 wkts @ 28.44 @ 5.59 RPO
Lions 26 wkts @ 31.57 @ 5.54 RPO
SA A 22 wkts @ 41.04 @ 6.17 RPO
SA 1 wkt @ 81.00 @ 5.06 RPO

PATERSON
Dolphins 4 wkts @ 40.75 @ 6.03 RPO
Cobras 46 wkts @ 37.34 @ 5.36 RPO
SA A 17 wkts @ 25.11 @ 4.43 RPO
SA 4 wkts @ 54.25 @ 6.25 RPO

DALA
Titans 77 wkts @ 22.67 @ 5.81 RPO
SA A 8 wkts @ 35.75 @ 6.12 RPO
SA 1 wkt @ 121.00 @ 7.11 RPO

MAGALA
Warriors 63 wkts @ 32.57 @ 5.73
SA A 8 wkts @ 51.75 @ 6.90 RPO

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does Morris open the bowling in domestic cricket? He seems to have done better when opening the bowling for South Africa than coming on first change (Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com), but I realise that it might be clutching at the wispiest of straws to hope that opening the bowling suits him better.
I actually reckon Pretorius would do a better job opening the bowling than Morris, particularly in England. I'd still be going all guns blazing up front with the best two quicks I think - early wickets are really important for SA's gameplan IMO, in contrast to other teams who could be more on track with just damage mitigation there - but if they wanted to give an allrounder a go with the new rock he's the one I'd pick. He's often really economical when he performs that role domestically, and with just that bit of extra nibble he could actually jag a wicket if the openers went hard at him.

It shows just how far from some of the former SA WC squads this is when we're openly discussing these things but I think it should be on the table.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
List A stats

Once you moved past Morkel, Abbott, de Lange, Viljoen, Parnell, Wiese, Olivier I don't think any of these guys will be the answer.
None of this is new though. Morris is only around because of his hitting ability. Rest are avg. What upsets me is that we know all this, even the selectors must know this but the actually potential quality quicks are still sitting in SA. I would rather they be picking Dupavillion, Burger, Sipamla, Bosch; be quite happy to see Smith, Mulder at the moment. Why are we getting the guys that are unlikely to make a difference, we have seen it time and again; and leaving the quality potential youngsters at home (that may get battered but will learn a lot). Throw the dice, we basically have nothing to lose, but may just learn a lot and pull off a miracle. But that won't happen by playing safe with good FC players.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I actually reckon Pretorius would do a better job opening the bowling than Morris, particularly in England. I'd still be going all guns blazing up front with the best two quicks I think - early wickets are really important for SA's gameplan IMO, in contrast to other teams who could be more on track with just damage mitigation there - but if they wanted to give an allrounder a go with the new rock he's the one I'd pick. He's often really economical when he performs that role domestically, and with just that bit of extra nibble he could actually jag a wicket if the openers went hard at him.

It shows just how far from some of the former SA WC squads this is when we're openly discussing these things but I think it should be on the table.
I think this becomes the safe option again, we need to stop playing safe.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably the end of Steyn's career now, and personally feel sad that it's going to end playing this format (ODI's) as he's by far a better test bowler and might not get a proper send-off

I said it before, but why was there real need for Steyn to play in this WC? You could potentially get another year out of him in tests, and he's got through quite a few unscathed now.

Just feel gutted that this is likely the end

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Probably the end of Steyn's career now, and personally feel sad that it's going to end playing this format (ODI's) as he's by far a better test bowler and might not get a proper send-off

I said it before, but why was there real need for Steyn to play in this WC? You could potentially get another year out of him in tests, and he's got through quite a few unscathed now.

Just feel gutted that this is likely the end
There is obviously a weakness. It started when he played in IPL and now he got exacerbated during recovery. It seems that this was a matter of time rather than circumstance. From a purely SA team view point, it is probably better to happen during an ODI series (even WC) rather than middle of the first innings of a Test in India. I note some local media are talking about him coming back. I hope he does not (gutting as it is) because I almost feel he is threatening more serious permanent injury to his shoulder and that is not worth it. But sportsman do that a lot.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I would have thought Amla would have been the one to make way to be honest
He had good form in the warm-up matches and was looking good before getting hit in the opening match. Duminy/Miller were competing with Markram, not Amla.

SeamUp

International Coach
Would really love us to be able to change the squad if we could. **** tournament rules. Might as well let some young players sample the atmosphere and there would be some interest still.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe Duminy should make way for Markram
No maybe about it.

Would really love us to be able to change the squad if we could. **** tournament rules. Might as well let some young players sample the atmosphere and there would be some interest still.
We should have done it from the beginning, Maybe we have lots of practise injuries? Get Faf into a back room with a hammer and break a few fingers?

SeamUp

International Coach
Hoping our worst ever world cup is a water-shed moment. Following on from a 2-0 home test series loss to Sri Lanka, thrashings against England home and away + thrashings to India away.

Things need to be looked at from top to bottom.