• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was convinced he'd go on to become a great Test batsman after his start against Australia. Very useful part-time offspin too. And yeah, he was great to watch.

SeamUp

International Coach
Personally I want Markram opening and playing match-winning knocks (big 100 type scores quickly) so if QdK doesn't get you Markram will sort of thing. Of course Markram needs to get it going.

I would still have van der Dussen in the team and that is coming from not a big fan of his. Right now with the strength of our batting line-up going to 7 (of which it is Phehlukwayo - we will need a steady-heady).

1. Markram
2. QdK
3. Faf
4. vd Dussen
5. Miller
6. Duminy
7. Phehlukwayo
8. Rabada
9. Steyn/Nortje
10. Ngidi
11. Tahir
Still going with this.

Spot 13 is Shamsi because he is the man invested in and done ok but more pressure will be heaped on if he doesn't step up enough during and after the world cup.

Spot 14 can go to Amla to be reserve batsman if he wants.

Spot 15 is probably Dwaine Pretorius' but we might as well just take 14.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Qdk and markram need to be the opening pair. Let's see if the selectors are brave enough.
Loyalty to Amla for such a big tournament will be a mistake.

Same if Nortje must be picked ahead of Steyn.

Having the experience for the league like system could be handy as back-up with 9 games and form easily could be lost or gained in so many games.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Jeez, if De Lange had made himself available for selection our selection choices for our fast bowlers would be ridiculous. What we have is four fast, threatening wicket-takers, but de Lange is really bowling with menace at the moment too...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
He does say form first and Reeza has not exactly lighting it up at the moment. So Amla still to go. I do worry that we don't really see the team again until June, so I don't know how much form means if you have not really played for 2 months at national level?

Anrich Nortje ruled out of the IPL with an injury. No word yet as to whether he'll be fit for the World Cup.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Proteas/anrich-nortje-injured-ruled-out-of-ipl-20190320
With him and Ngidi consistently picking up injuries I wonder if the powers that be decide not to take Nortje .... outside chance for Sipamla? He seems pretty good in death overs, but be a helluva pick for big stage.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Despite Abbott, de Lange, Olivier as Kolpaks, and even if Nortje and Ngidi are ruled out, we aren't looking short of quicks. Morris starting to find some wheels and some form and Sipamla starting to blossom... Good depth!

Bahseph

State Captain
One thing is very clear in my mind at the moment, vd der Dussen has to play. Done everything right and more imo.

SamW92

Cricket Spectator
As of now, my 15 man WC squad for South Africa:

1. Hashim Amla
2. Quinton De Kock (WK)
3. Francois Du Plessis (C)
4. Rassie Van Der Dussen
5. David Miller
6. Jean Paul Duminy
7. Chris Morris
8. Kagiso Rabada
9. Dale Steyn
10. Lungi Ngidi
11. Imran Tahir

12. Aiden Markram
13. Andile Phehlukwayo
14. Anrich Nortje / Dwayne Pretorious
15. Tabraiz Shamsi

Wish De Villiers comes out of retirement and makes himself available !

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
It is basically down to 2 of Amla, Hendricks & Markram. And Amla will go if the sounds coming from the SA camp are anything to go by.

Pretorius & Nortje will go.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I wouldn't be surprised if Pretorius ends up starting over Andile because he offers more with the bat.

If I remember correctly, they've been talking about wanting a batting all-rounder at 7. And since Duminy can chuck some overs into the mix, they may look to shore up the batting.

SeamUp

International Coach
Anyone planning on going to the world cup ?

I am really starting to look at those packages available.