• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Guessing Duminy and Tahir have indicated retirement after WC. and Morris not in the longer term plans. Else it is pretty much the stalwarts from the last year or 2. Showing confidence in de Bruyn, fair enough. Over consistent?

SeamUp

International Coach
As I expected. If Amla/Faf played v Sri Lanka in the tests then the idea is for them to hang around for India and England. Surely some hands will be forced.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
My latest WC team and squad.

Reeza
QDK
Markram
Faf
Duminy
Miller
Mulder
Andile
Rabada
Ngidi
Tahir

Steyn
Amla
van Dussen
Shamsi

Still think Amla should go even if not in the first team, scored runs against Pakistan. I like the idea SeamUp has thrown out of Linde could be a really good selection thinking about it. I`m over Morris, Pretorius and Klaasen.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure we need two top-order reserve batsmen though ?
I have put both allrounders into the team, along with Duminy (and Markram). I don't see the need for an extra bowler or allrounder. And van Dussen or Amla could replace Mulder if the extra batsmen is rather required. Else we pick Klaasen don't see anybody else at this stage (Not including the idea of Linde at this stage).

Dendarii

International Debutant
I have put both allrounders into the team, along with Duminy (and Markram). I don't see the need for an extra bowler or allrounder.
I don't think they're going to go that route for the World Cup. It looks like the plan is going to be to pick the four best bowlers, regardless of whether they can bat or not and rely on them to contain the opposition. Nortje had a decent enough game today, and if he comes through this series well then I reckon he'll be in the squad as an extra bowler.

Bahseph

State Captain
While I absolutely agree that Markram is the better player and is definitely the best young batsman we have around, what on Earth would be the basis to drop vd Dussen now? He has done everything asked of him and more.

I know we have basically agreed that Amla is done, but have the selectors? I'd like to see Markram and de Kock opening for us. On a good day those two could win us games by themselves. I also like the idea of Andile at 8 if Markram, Mulder and Duminy are in the team. We could make 10 overs there, and I'd back Andile more at the death than Dale. Rabada and Ngidi the wicket takers in this line up obviously.

Markram
De Kock
Faf
Vd Dussen
Duminy
Miller
Mulder
Andile
Rabada
Ngidi
Tahir

Rasimione

U19 Captain
While I absolutely agree that Markram is the better player and is definitely the best young batsman we have around, what on Earth would be the basis to drop vd Dussen now? He has done everything asked of him and more.

I know we have basically agreed that Amla is done, but have the selectors? I'd like to see Markram and de Kock opening for us. On a good day those two could win us games by themselves. I also like the idea of Andile at 8 if Markram, Mulder and Duminy are in the team. We could make 10 overs there, and I'd back Andile more at the death than Dale. Rabada and Ngidi the wicket takers in this line up obviously.

Markram
De Kock
Faf
Vd Dussen
Duminy
Miller
Mulder
Andile
Rabada
Ngidi
Tahir
Are we taking JP and Amla to the world cup regardless of form? Everyone seems to have JP as a nailed on starter but I'm not sure if he deserves to go, same as Amla but they will be there . In hindsight we should have backed Markram and now that he's bullying domestic level cricketers, it's giving us a selection headache. I reckon the man to miss out will be Reeza. Markram will be on that plane.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting that Tahir is retiring from odi's but still keep the test selection open.

https://www.sacricketmag.com/imran-tahir-announces-odi-retirement/
From the article I read he still would like to play in the 20/20 WC next year and even then at the age of 41, you take him over Shamsi and the rest. As for tests, he did average 20 with the ball when he last toured India but as Ashwin averaged half that, it went rather unnoticed, and again you fancy he would bowl better there than Shamsi would. Tahir retiring is a huge loss to South Africa and it’s going to be far more difficult to backfill him than Olivier.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Are we taking JP and Amla to the world cup regardless of form? Everyone seems to have JP as a nailed on starter but I'm not sure if he deserves to go, same as Amla but they will be there . In hindsight we should have backed Markram and now that he's bullying domestic level cricketers, it's giving us a selection headache. I reckon the man to miss out will be Reeza. Markram will be on that plane.
I wouldn't take either . Amla is done and duminy has never been. But they will take them with the silly argument of xp...

Dendarii

International Debutant
I wouldn't take either . Amla is done and duminy has never been. But they will take them with the silly argument of xp...
Duminy does give a bowling option which can be useful, but the way Markram's been bowling lately weakens that argument.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The only thing I am certain about at this stage is my uncertainty of who to select and I'm not even sure about that....

Dendarii

International Debutant
You'd think at this stage they'd want all the World Cup squad. and in particular the first-choice players playing against Sri Lanka. So Amla's exclusion from the squad seems a little odd in that regard, and suggests that maybe he's fallen out of favour.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Duminy does give a bowling option which can be useful, but the way Markram's been bowling lately weakens that argument.
If I need someone to fill in a few overs I can use markram or reeza hendricks. Duminy's batting is inferior and has been for sometime . Plus both are better fielders compared tot he current jp.