• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

halba

International 12th Man
It literally depends on our bowling being brilliant throughout.
Which isnt a given. Theres also a dearth of all rounders. All rounders win world cups or get you at least close especially in ODI- Brian mcmillan, Hansie, Pollock , Klusnener, Kallis, Boje, come to mind.
South africa used to have such great all rounders. Where are they?
{Agent}mulder now the only one they have? hehe

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
The thing is will you guys accept that there would be more potential loses if we do wholesale changes

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
The thing is will you guys except that there would be more potential loses if we do wholesale changes
But is there a greater potential for a loss if we stick with the same guys who aren't performing? That's what needs to be weighed up, and while I'm against knee-jerk reactions of calling for players to go, it's definitely gone beyond knee-jerk for some players.

halba

International 12th Man
But is there a greater potential for a loss if we stick with the same guys who aren't performing? That's what needs to be weighed up, and while I'm against knee-jerk reactions of calling for players to go, it's definitely gone beyond knee-jerk for some players.

SAF huge decline. wheres the depth in domestic cricket? Like Australia, the domestic depth is shocking in the batting department.

SAF used to have such great domestic cricket depth in batting. Bowling it has a lot of depth, just like australia do.

Bahseph

State Captain
The thing is will you guys accept that there would be more potential loses if we do wholesale changes
Great point. I'd be able to accept a loss if I knew the team had potential to be together as a unit and learn for an extended amount of time. It is a delicate balancing act, which is why I wouldn't just kick Elgar and Faf to the curb.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I would quite happily accept loses if I felt we were going in the right direction.... problem I have is that we have discussed the batting problems for 2 years now and nothing has really changed. I do understand that they have tried to maintain a certain stability and also gave other deserving players a chance (de Bruyn and now Hamza) when they could, but it has not solved the underlying issues.

We are only just starting to see the potential of the next generation; so do you slowly integrate or do you pick the potential and force the change? Is India going to be a good place to try that? and will this even be a discussion as of now with the WC coming and our next tests in India in 6 months time.

SeamUp

International Coach
An interesting conversation on Radio 2000, about the regions of which the team originates. Even when we were at our peak as a Test team we had trouble in Durban especially. And that's also because it is sort of an away game for most of the team. With most of them being from the Highveld. Now I'm not using that as an excuse, or a reason for this display, it just got me thinking.

Now back to this game. Surely heads have to roll. StephenZA made a good point in the tour thread about the lack of replacements making a splash domestically. And that is true. But maybe, just maybe, it's time to bite the bullet and take a punt on people we see have potential.

Not interested in seeing Temba in whites again. Or Amla. Both for differing reasons.
Durban used to be a massive stronghold for us. The team was mainly coastal too.

Gary Kirsten (coastal)
Andrew Hudson (coastal)
Herschelle Gibbs (coastal)
Kepler Wessels (not a coastal boy but played a lot of his cricket on the coast Eastern Province/Queensland)
Jacques Kallis (coastal)
Daryll Cullinan (grew up on the coast)
Jonty Rhodes (coastal)
Brian McMillan (played a lot of his cricket on the coast)
Shaun Pollock (coastal)
Dave Richardson (coastal)
Mark Boucher (coastal)
Lance Klusener (coastal)

No need to go into the coastal bowlers like Craig Matthews, Makhaya Ntini etc

You learn to score hard working/grinding runs on the coast I feel. And this team competed and or won away in Asia and at home (all venues).

Only non-coastal boys were Hansie Cronje, Allan Donald, Fanie de Villiers (2 are fast-bowlers)

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Well Olivier doing a Kolpak has probably allowed Bavuma being replaced to become an actual possibility now. Didn't see this coming.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I felt he was always going to go Kolpak... his international experience just gave him more exposure, never felt like he would have a long SA career, would not be a top 3 seamer in a SA attack unless injuries or very poor form. Once Philander, Steyn retire, Nortje Ngidi and one or two others seem better long term options. And obviously he needed to make the decision now with Brexit uncertainty.

Last edited:

Cow Corner

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The Brexit deadline in the end of March means that Kolpak would likely not be an available option after that...therefore it's now or never for a lot of these players.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Its a sad but not big loss with ngidi,nortjie and sipamla around. The Brexit deadline as others have said probably why he made the call now.

SeamUp

International Coach
Duanne's message : https://www.instagram.com/p/BuWChBAF8WL/

I don't think many other countries could deal with how many players we lose from our cricket pool.

Yorkshire : Olivier
Notts :
Hamps : Rossouw, Abbott
Warks :
Surrey : M.Morkel
Essex : Harmer, Delport
Kent : Kuhn
Somerset : vd Merwe

Lancs : Vilas
Worcs : Parnell
Leics : Ackermann
Derbys : Viljoen was but cancelled it to become a T20 freelancer
Glamorgan : de Lange (Ingram was but mainly a T20 freelancer now)
Sussex : van Zyl, Wiese
Northants : Levi
Durham :
Middlesex :

Never mind the other players who have left and either not big names that played SA domestic cricket and or were in our u19 pathway system.

Graeme van Buuren (Gloucs)
Gareth Roderick (Gloucs captain)
Wayne Madsen (Derbys captain)
Ryan ten Doechate (Essex captain)
Daryn Smit (Derbys)
Ricardo Vasconcelos (Northants)
Conor McKerr (Surrey)
Bradley Wheal (Hampshire)
Keaton Jennings (Lancashire)
Brydon Carse (Durham)
Gareth Harte (Durham)
Matt Pillans (Yorkshire)
Chris Cooke (Glamorgan)
Sean Dickson (Kent)
Dieter Klein (Leics)
Dawid Malan (Middlesex)
Nathan Gilchrist (Somerset)
Tom Curran (Surrey)

But it is New Zealand now where the most are going. I know so many Saffers who have moved their for security of life. For cricket Devon Conway, Malcolm Nofal, Travis Muller, Chad Bowes, Tyler Lortan, Willie Ludick, Dean Foxcroft, Graeme Beghlin , Michael Rippon are the ones that immediate come to mind who could be their next Grant Elliott, Neil Wagner, Kruger van Wyk. The Munro's and Phillips, Cachopa's moved when younger.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Which then raises the question - is anyone else likely to go Kolpak?
My bets Morris and Frylink.
Would Frylinck qualify ? That is the thing. I think there are certain cap qualifications.

Morris prime candidate. Cook and de Bruyn maybe if they were in demand but probably not. Cook has been poor for Durham/Glamorgan and age. de Bruyn hasn't shown his true capabilities yet and may never but he would pile the runs on in county cricket alright.

Heboric

International Debutant
I felt he was always going to go Kolpak... his international experience just gave him more exposure, never felt like he would have a long SA career, would not be a top 3 seamer in a SA attack unless injuries or very poor form. Once Philander, Steyn retire, Nortje Ngidi and one or two others seem better long term options. And obviously he needed to make the decision now with Brexit uncertainty.
The thing is, as a fan you want to know there is quality in depth

Dendarii

International Debutant
Would Frylinck qualify ? That is the thing. I think there are certain cap qualifications.
According to Wikipedia, it's either a specified number of caps (which they don't specify...) or a valid work permit. Olivier possibly gets in on the work permit due to his previous county stint as he's only played 12 times for South Africa which might not be enough.