• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson's triple-double

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watson is crap and hes proved that before last time he was chucked in the one day team. i think the selectors have learnt from their mistakes and hopefully Watson wont get a game. A good game in grade cricket doesnt mean jack****. i took 10 wickets in one innings in a first grade match and 8 in the second. does that mean im next in line for Australia? i think not.

Craig

World Traveller
Linda said:
Why are you so stuck on Watto having another good year? Its not as if he's looking for a debut, or was dropped, simple as that. He shouldn't NEED 2 years of solid performances to get him back in, especially not since Harvey was his replacement...
You have quoted me this once, why couldnt you of said it back when you first did?

So by your logic Marcus North and Michael Clarke should be pushing for a Test spot?

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:
You have quoted me this once, why couldnt you of said it back when you first did?
So by your logic Marcus North and Michael Clarke should be pushing for a Test spot?
I'm pretty sure I quoted you twice, and said the same kind of thing both times...

And how the hell is that my logic? Firstly, I'm not even talking about Tests. Secondly Marcus North hasn't ever played in the Aussie side. And lastly, Michael Clarke hasn't been injured or dropped from the side. So what are you talking about?

Last edited:
To iamdavid Yes i did.
And b****** that you were in line to be picked for the australian u15 team. just saying that u were good enough. When the WA under 15 team played u's ACT got hammered and there wasnt a good player in their team at all

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig I think the point they are trying to make is that this isnt Watson's first good year.
Its his first outstanding year but not his first good year.

2001/02 was his first good year , he showed glimpses of brilliance (ie his 10 wicket haul against QLD & his hundred).
He was then picked on a combination of promising if not outstanding results & potential.

However he was picked for the wrong form of the game & consequently failed to shine (leading to the view by some of the less informed cricket fans in the country that he was "crap".

He then started to produce a few decent ODI performances , but then he got injured.

His batting this season was superb & his bowling has shown drastic improvement in the areas of control & swing , he hasnt yet delivered with the ball but he's not bowling at 100% again yet.

Now there is a need for a genuine allrounder in both the test & ODI sides & if his bowling continues to recover then he will fit the bill perfectly , I think suggesting he be taken on tour at this point is perfectly reasonable , perhaps not thrust straight into the playing XI (in either form of the game) , but certainly taken on tour.

iamdavid

International Debutant
pontingrulz said:
To iamdavid Yes i did.
And b****** that you were in line to be picked for the australian u15 team. just saying that u were good enough. When the WA under 15 team played u's ACT got hammered and there wasnt a good player in their team at all
Ok lets get a few things straight here.

Firstly how can I be picked in the Australian under 15 team when there isnt one , there is a national under age development squad , which contains about 30 players under the age of 17 , I have already been told I will be a part of this next season.

There are no under age Aussie teams other than U17's & U19's.

As for the ACT thing thats BS , we've never played WA (at least not while Ive been around) , however we will be playing them at the national U15 schoolboy champs in 2 weeks time (March 25-April 4) & I actually fancy our chances , as we've got a pretty handy side & our under 17's beat WA under 17's in December.

If you dont beleive me about the development squad thing then wait until September because it'll be on the Baggy Green website then :P

Now as for your 18 wicket haul in a first grade game ..... have you any proof , perhaps you could provide us with your name , surely a guy whos taken 18fer in a first grade game could get a look in for the ACB cup side , maybe even the senior squad , then again maybe you were just bul*shi*ing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Former Australian and Tasmanian all-rounder Shane Watson has shown his immense talent once again with an unbelievable effort with both bat and ball in a TCA grade match.

With Australian selectors keeping a permanent eye over proceedings at both State and grade level, Watson struck 300 not out while captaining club side Lindisfarne and followed it up with a brilliant spell of 7-29 from 14.2 overs to complete a single-handed destruction of North Hobart at the TCA Ground.

Watson was forced out of the Australian one-day team by stress fractures in his back which prevented him from bowling until early January this year. His progress has been watched eagerly by those who believe the 22-year-old will become a fixture on the international cricket scene in time to come.

After resuming the day on 228 not out, Watson raced to his 259-ball triple-century which included 27 fours and ten sixes on the sizeable ground before declaring the innings closed.

Such was the havoc Watson was wreaking, North Hobart and Tasmanian skipper Dan Marsh resorted to having every fieldsman on the boundary - partly as tribute to Watson's majestic knock, but also as a real tactic to reduce him to singles.

His innings was the highest score made in the TCA grade competition since former Australian all-rounder Charles Eady's 566 for the now defunct Break O'Day club against the also defunct Wellington over a century ago in 1901-02.

Watson's scalps were no mugs with the bat either; Tasmanian team-mates Michael Dighton, Marsh, Michael Di Venuto and Sean Clingeleffer were all victims of Watson's bowling.

Watson is currently out of contract and the subject of many prospective trade discussions abounding between various states, after he was almost wooed to current Pura Cup finalists Victoria and Queensland - his home state - last year.

Man I know this is only grade cricket but what a performance by Watson!!!
Every now and then players have once-in-a-lifetime moments of brilliance.
Nathan Astle at Christchuch in the second-innings of the 2001\02 First Test for instance.
Watson will never do anything like that again I can assure you. But he deserves to enjoy it after it's happened because that's one phenominal game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
Well I guess the OD side to start with, you can't just throw him in the Test team after injury.

Why are you so stuck on Watto having another good year? Its not as if he's looking for a debut, or was dropped, simple as that. He shouldn't NEED 2 years of solid performances to get him back in, especially not since Harvey was his replacement...
Thing is, he's never played in the Test side so really it takes 2 seasons of good performance to earn a debut. Though, as david's pointed-out, he's done well before now.
He played in the ODI side and he was hardly impressive there, though, so hence he needs to earn his place back. Especially as Harvey has been hopelessly flattered by his figures in Watson's absence (look at his ODI bowling average >WC2003).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Especially as Harvey has been hopelessly flattered by his figures in Watson's absence (look at his ODI bowling average >WC2003).
Because it's inconcievable that he might have actually bowled well isn't it...

Okay iamdavid. my 18 wicket haul was taken in 1 st grade south suburban turf association which they dont keep records for. but i can show you my first grade statistics for the waca comp.
Name : Sam George Howman
Club :Subiaco Floreat
Details on this seasons performances :http://www.resultsvault.com/cricket...818&hddMisc1=&clubID=535&assocID=12&nocookie=
So i'm Bull****ting am i?
And yes i am a member of the WA X1. which takes part in the ACB cup. And even though i took 56 wickets for the season (leading wicket taker) i am yet to break into the WA team which i have a rookie contract with. My details are also on the ACB web site so check them out. I played for the U15 state school boys team for Wa and yes we did hammer the ACT when we played them. Now its your turn. Name Details Who you Play For

And just because some one has a better record than you do and better best figures. no need to deny the fact that it happened. For your information i have also taken 4 career hattricks. And with the national school boys comp which takes place in Adelaide in about a week and a half i have had quite a bit to do with the WA team going over there and i believe that WA has a good chance of taking home the winners trophy because in an exhibition game vs the NSW country under 17s team our boys only just lost by 30 odd runs.

And yes thats the under 15's Wa school boys team im talking about. ARE you a bowler/batsman/allrounder? whatever you are be expected to be targeted by our bowlers or our batsmen. i think bodyline isnt out of the equation if your up to the task. or will you just happen to be a sub or get injured for that game?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Because it's inconcievable that he might have actually bowled well isn't it...
Not inconceivable but clearly untrue from what I've seen.
He's been gifted almost every wicket he's taken. And he's been very, very expensive.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Not inconceivable but clearly untrue from what I've seen.
He's been gifted almost every wicket he's taken. And he's been very, very expensive.
"Very very expensive?"

What is his eco, 6 or so?

oi mate. you really think that i would use my real name in the cricket web b team? is Bugsy a real name. hows about eyes only? My Name is SAm George Howman. Just accept that you are wrong. And i am a medium pacer but i get the wickets and thats all that matters

Status
Not open for further replies.