• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

500!

a massive zebra

International Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Agree, Marc.

This is my exact argument. Murali will get morw 5-fers and 10-fers, bec\use he bowls far more overs.
That is true and if Warne played for Sri Lanka instead of Murali he would get more wickets, although IMO less than Murali does ATM. I feel he would be unable to lead the Sri Lankan attack the way Murali does, and would be rather more expensive than he is at present, due to lack of support.

Note that all Murali's figures at his peak (and overall) are better than Warne's, so he does not just lead in 5fors and 10fors.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Unfortunately the degree of help Murali gets from his home groundsmen in pitch preparation has inflated his record. At home he has over 300 wickets at 20 and overseas his average is 27 whilst Warne's has a similar average at both home and away.

Both are brilliant bowlers who will be all time greats.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
I feel he would be unable to lead the Sri Lankan attack the way Murali does, and would be rather more expensive than he is at present, due to lack of support.
I'm not so sure.

I think part of Murali's extreme economy is due to the fact that batsmen know that if they can see him off, the man at the other end is going to provide run-scoring opportunities - to his credit Flintoff did just that in the 3rd Test and scored 70-odd.

Put Warne in there in the same place, and I imagine batsmen would play him in much the same manner.

Likewise, put Murali in the Aussie side, and I think he would go for a few more runs.

The nightmare scenario for batsmen would be Murali at one end and Warne at the other!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
a massive zebra said:
That is true and if Warne played for Sri Lanka instead of Murali he would get more wickets, although IMO less than Murali does ATM. I feel he would be unable to lead the Sri Lankan attack the way Murali does, and would be rather more expensive than he is at present, due to lack of support.

Note that all Murali's figures at his peak (and overall) are better than Warne's, so he does not just lead in 5fors and 10fors.
Where's the proof he would? In the last Test they played, Murali managed to take more wickets against a stronger batting lineup despite his side collapsing in a heap in their 2nd innings. There is no proof Warne would be able to handle the number of overs Murali bowls on average, let alone take the number of wickets he does or be able to handle the pressure of being their main bowler. Warne's allways had McGrath to take that off him.

Every time someone tries to suggest one is better than the other, someone else comes up with a counter-arguement. No one can win. No one's view is going to be changed. So stop trying.

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I'm not so sure.

I think part of Murali's extreme economy is due to the fact that batsmen know that if they can see him off, the man at the other end is going to provide run-scoring opportunities - to his credit Flintoff did just that in the 3rd Test and scored 70-odd.

Put Warne in there in the same place, and I imagine batsmen would play him in much the same manner.

Likewise, put Murali in the Aussie side, and I think he would go for a few more runs.

The nightmare scenario for batsmen would be Murali at one end and Warne at the other!
You may be right that batsmen adopt a more aggressive attitude towards Warne, and this leads to him going for more runs per over. This attitude should not effect his average, however, infact it should actually help it because by definition the more aggressive a batsman is the more likely he is to get out. Yet Murali still has a better strike rate. Consequently, if your theory that batsmen are more aggressive when facing Warne is correct, Murali's greater strike rate suggests he is far more dangerous.

If you look through history there is plenty of evidence to suggest that great bowlers in bad teams take more wickets per match (because there is less competition for wickets), but have a higher average and strike rate (because they dont have the advantage of other bowlers getting the good players out). Great bowlers in good teams have more support and generally have lower averages but take less wickets per match.

This can be proven through numerous cases throughout history. Take Hadlee and Marshall, for instance. Hadlee took more wickets per match because other players were not taking them, but had a higher average and strike rate because he had to get all the good players out.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Rik said:
Where's the proof he would? In the last Test they played, Murali managed to take more wickets against a stronger batting lineup despite his side collapsing in a heap in their 2nd innings. There is no proof Warne would be able to handle the number of overs Murali bowls on average, let alone take the number of wickets he does or be able to handle the pressure of being their main bowler. Warne's allways had McGrath to take that off him.

Every time someone tries to suggest one is better than the other, someone else comes up with a counter-arguement. No one can win. No one's view is going to be changed. So stop trying.
It is clear that bowlers of equal ability take more wickets per match in weaker teams because there is less competition for wickets. It is also clear that bowlers of equal abilty have higher averages and strike rates if they play in worse teams.

I agree with you that Murali is the better bowler, by quite some distance in my view, but Warne would take more wickets per match if he played for Sri Lanka instead of Murali because other players are not taking them. On the other hand, if he averages 25 in the Australian side with all that support, it is likely to be more like 28 in the Sri Lankan side.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
a massive zebra said:
You may be right that batsmen adopt a more aggressive attitude towards Warne, and this leads to him going for more runs per over. This attitude should not effect his average, however, infact it should actually help it because by definition the more aggressive a batsman is the more likely he is to get out. Yet Murali still has a better strike rate. Consequently, if your theory that batsmen are more aggressive when facing Warne is correct, Murali's greater strike rate suggests he is far more dangerous.

If you look through history there is plenty of evidence to suggest that great bowlers in bad teams take more wickets per match (because there is less competition for wickets), but have a higher average and strike rate (because they dont have the advantage of other bowlers getting the good players out). Great bowlers in good teams have more support and generally have lower averages but take less wickets per match.

This can be proven through numerous cases throughout history. Take Hadlee and Marshall, for instance. Hadlee took more wickets per match because other players were not taking them, but had a higher average and strike rate because he had to get all the good players out.
That's very true. Murali is often played defensively, batsmen try to survive his spells and score off the other bowlers, yet Murali ends up with the better strike rate. From watching cricket for quite a while now, to me it's obvious that it's harder to get a player out when they are trying to block everything, Hoggard showed as much against the West Indies. But still Murali has the better strike rate. It's very hard to bowl someone who isn't interisted in scoring, so you need to do something to trick the batsman, and with Murali, not only does he turn it so much you can't tell where to position your bat, he's also increadibly accurate and can now turn the ball both ways.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
a massive zebra said:
I agree with you that Murali is the better bowler, by quite some distance in my view, but Warne would take more wickets per match if he played for Sri Lanka instead of Murali because other players are not taking them. On the other hand, if he averages 25 in the Australian side with all that support, it is likely to be more like 28 in the Sri Lankan side.
I'm not doubting he would take more wickets if he played for Sri Lanka instead of Australia, but to say he would take more than Murali, which several members have stated they feel would happen, is something that can never be proven and I doubt would be correct anyway. Murali has shown an amazing ability to play with injuries and still be effective, although sometimes they do limit him noticeably. He's also got amazing stamina, since many other bowlers would tire and be taken apart but he rarely is. I'm not sure Warne's body would be able to take the workload, or of his stamina. I remember the last time he bowled 50 overs in an innings he went for 164 or so, Murali tends to go only for about 80-90.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Rik said:
I'm not doubting he would take more wickets if he played for Sri Lanka instead of Australia, but to say he would take more than Murali, which several members have stated they feel would happen, is something that can never be proven and I doubt would be correct anyway. Murali has shown an amazing ability to play with injuries and still be effective, although sometimes they do limit him noticeably. He's also got amazing stamina, since many other bowlers would tire and be taken apart but he rarely is.
Agree entirely. I never said he would get more wickets per match than Murali, infact I actually said 'if Warne played for Sri Lanka instead of Murali he would get more wickets, although IMO less than Murali does ATM.'

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
a massive zebra said:
Agree entirely. I never said he would get more wickets per match than Murali, infact I actually said 'if Warne played for Sri Lanka instead of Murali he would get more wickets, although IMO less than Murali does ATM.'
Fair enough, that's what I'm saying!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
On the other hand, if he averages 25 in the Australian side with all that support, it is likely to be more like 28 in the Sri Lankan side.
YOU WHAT!?!?!?:O :O :O

On, what, much spinnier wickets?

AHEM.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
YOU WHAT!?!?!?:O :O :O

On, what, much spinnier wickets?

AHEM.
No such thing as a "much spinnier wicket." Unless your Grammar packed up and went abroad of course. Anyway, Warne tends to rely much more on bounce, as shown by his record in India. Don't those pitches support spin enough for you? Yes they are dry and dusty and the ball can grip on them, but you don't get much bounce off them and the ball only tends to turn slowly unless it hits a rough patch. Warne is a good spinner when conditions are conductive to spin bowling, but he's even better when he gets bounce, and we are discussing here what would happen if Warne played in Sri Lanka. In my view Warne would struggle with the lack of bounce and be less effective, while AMZ is adding that he feels the extra overs Warne would have to bowl would affect his stamina, he would have to bowl when tired, which he rarely ever does when playing for Australia, so his accuracy would wane and he would conceed more runs. What makes Murali such a great bowler is that he manages to pick up wickets and keep the runs down even when he is into his 50th over of the innings, he has amazing stamina.

AHEM to you. We are thinking about what would happen rather than taking the instant view that Warne is better and Murali can't be.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Halsey said:
Not as much as in Sri Lanka.
They are basically in the same part of the world and spin about as much as each other. There are plenty of pitches in India and Sri Lanka that spin slowly and don't bounce, especially Galle a few years ago when Atapattu scored that 200 against England, that pitch was basically dead. The difference is Murali relies on spin, Warne relies more on bounce.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:
Not as much as in Sri Lanka.
As long as I have been following cricket, it has very much apparently spun more in India than Sri Lanka. IMO India is the biggest spin haven in the world of cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
But not always world class spinners to expolit it in the last five or so years. Exclude Kumble.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
But not always world class spinners to expolit it in the last five or so years. Exclude Kumble.
Forgetting Harbhajan? How to destroy the Aussies with a bowler suddenly everyone thinks is amazing in 3...2...1...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I listed them a little while back and I can't be bothered to do so again. They're not very good, but from memory they're better than Warne's.