• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This winter should see the the cut off for him. Doubt it will matter anyway as he will still get picked regardless.

vcs

Was mediocre on paper, but not performance.
Nah they were average. Let's face it, looking at the WC winners before and after.. then again, no one's going to look that good compared to Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah they were average. Let's face it, looking at the WC winners before and after.. then again, no one's going to look that good compared to Australia.
"average" isn't poor though. The bowling performance (i.e. not the names on paper) in the quarter final and semi final was nothing short of excellent. Performance-wise, the bowling was solid over the course of the tournament, with them really rising to the occasion in the knock-outs.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
England are a stronger ODI side but they are way short of a great ODI team in general. All the talk about the next World Cup being England's to lose is premature to say the least..not necessarily because England is a bad side or they are not heading in the right direction..its just that teams like Australia, New Zealand and to an extent India are still ahead as LO sides. A batting line up of Roy, Hales, Buttler, Root, Stokes is explosive and can blast 400 on their day, but it's still a less consistent and less dependable battling line up than Australia (at full strength) and India. They's just more experienced, have a greater body of performances and just have been doing for a longer time what England have been doing since World Cup 2015.

Having said all of that, I absolutely expect England tow in this series and it's got more to do with Bangladesh having played just 3 ODIs against Afghanistan since July last year. That's just not enough cricket, not enough competition and not enough being tested..and when you're up against a side that has played so much competitive cricket in the recent past, it shouldn't surprise anyone if you fall short.

BCB just needs better planning and scheduling. This is what's stunting their growth more than anything else. They start clicking as a team, gain confidence, perform, and then go into hibernation for 6 months. Next year Bangladesh will be playing the Champions Trophy in England, a conditions they haven't played in 7 years. Even regularly playing Ireland in their conditions would be a good start for this team.

vcs

"average" isn't poor though. The bowling performance (i.e. not the names on paper) in the quarter final and semi final was nothing short of excellent. Performance-wise, the bowling was solid over the course of the tournament, with them really rising to the occasion in the knock-outs.
That's fair enough, however I'd argue Pakistan and Sri Lanka (probably even SA) had better bowling lineups in the same tournament. What tipped it in our favor was performance on the day and being suited to the conditions + home advantage.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah that's all I'm saying. Cricket isn't decided on paper. India's bowlers stepped up in those matches and out-bowled their opposition in every knock-out match, notwithstanding their opponents having the more revered bowlers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
England are a stronger ODI side but they are way short of a great ODI team in general. All the talk about the next World Cup being England's to lose is premature to say the least..not necessarily because England is a bad side or they are not heading in the right direction..its just that teams like Australia, New Zealand and to an extent India are still ahead as LO sides. A batting line up of Roy, Hales, Buttler, Root, Stokes is explosive and can blast 400 on their day, but it's still a less consistent and less dependable battling line up than Australia (at full strength) and India. They's just more experienced, have a greater body of performances and just have been doing for a longer time what England have been doing since World Cup 2015.

Having said all of that, I absolutely expect England tow in this series and it's got more to do with Bangladesh having played just 3 ODIs against Afghanistan since July last year. That's just not enough cricket, not enough competition and not enough being tested..and when you're up against a side that has played so much competitive cricket in the recent past, it shouldn't surprise anyone if you fall short.

BCB just needs better planning and scheduling. This is what's stunting their growth more than anything else. They start clicking as a team, gain confidence, perform, and then go into hibernation for 6 months. Next year Bangladesh will be playing the Champions Trophy in England, a conditions they haven't played in 7 years. Even regularly playing Ireland in their conditions would be a good start for this team.
"all the talk"? Who the hell is saying that?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Eng batting first is a good result for them. Can bat Bang out of the match, whereas if they were chasing I reckon that is where the conditions could catch them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not this thread but in general. Especially after they were wiping the floor with Pakistan earlier.
I really can't think of anyone here or anywhere in the media where anyone has said anything similar to England being a lock for the World Cup?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's fair enough, however I'd argue Pakistan and Sri Lanka (probably even SA) had better bowling lineups in the same tournament. What tipped it in our favor was performance on the day and being suited to the conditions + home advantage.
Indian bowling usually steps up in World Cups. I think they had a very good World Cup in 2015 as well with bowling out every opposition until the semi final.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I really can't think of anyone here or anywhere in the media where anyone has said anything similar to England being a lock for the World Cup?
It's in the England-Pakistan ODI thread. I can't be bothered to look for it, and you don't have to believe me.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England at full strength I would be confident of victory. But this lineup in the conditions I only really have confidence in Buttler as a bat- and the bowling is the same as it has been- average.

Billings really should be in over Duckett or Bairstow. Billings has quite a lot of experience in Asia , rotates the strike decently etc. Duckett as good as he might be has no very little experience- I reckon he's picked to give him experience for the tests.

Should learn a lot about the players. If a Roy or Vince or whoever had a really good series and stood up, it would do wonders for their career.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It's in the England-Pakistan ODI thread. I can't be bothered to look for it, and you don't have to believe me.
It was me ok. I was drunk and got a bit carried away after 444/3..............bite me ****s.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Exactly, we will implode somehow before the tournament comes round anyway. We always do every time we look like we have a half decent side coming together.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Eng batting first is a good result for them. Can bat Bang out of the match, whereas if they were chasing I reckon that is where the conditions could catch them.
Also BD have been batting first in the last three matches

Advantage England

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
WTF.....this isn't on Fox Sports tonight:mad:

Well they can bang that fair up their arse..............****ing ****s.