• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ashwin beat Murali's 800?

Peaceful5583

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Outside of India and outside of England Ashwin and Anderson took lot less wicket so Ashwin will never even take 500 test wickets
Anderson took 292 test wickets in England out of 457 or so.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ That might have more to do with the fact that he plays majority of his games there rather than anything else.
Really? Are you saying England play more home games than away games?

That's weird. Logically you'd think everyone would play about the same number home as away.

Daemon

That's weird. Logically you'd think everyone would play about the same number home as away.
I think they do play more at home actually, looking at the records of Cook, Anderson and Broad.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Correct..but in an alternate universe where cricket schedules are devised logically..as it happens,cricket schedules now are a result of a chaotic and complex processes for most teams.

But yeah even without all the admin problems..the differences are quite clear to see. England play Pakistan for 4 games at home but only 3 away. So that itself is 3 away games for 4 home.

As it stands, Anderson has 67 home games and 50 away games. I think for players from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and to an extent Pakistan in recent times, that ratio would be even more unequal as they get limited opportunities of away tours.

TheJediBrah

Correct..but in an alternate universe where cricket schedules are devised logically..as it happens,cricket schedules now are a result of a chaotic and complex processes for most teams.

But yeah even without all the admin problems..the differences are quite clear to see. England play Pakistan for 4 games at home but only 3 away. So that itself is 3 away games for 4 home.

As it stands, Anderson has 67 home games and 50 away games. I think for players from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and to an extent Pakistan in recent times, that ratio would be even more unequal as they get limited opportunities of away tours.
So obviously there has to be teams that play a lot more away than at home. New Zealand I guess?

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
So obviously there has to be teams that play a lot more away than at home. New Zealand I guess?
In the last 10 years, counting matches at UAE as "home" matches for Pakistan, the home/away count is:

England 69-56
Australia 54-51
South Africa 45-43
India 41-55
Sri Lanka 47-39
New Zealand 38-40
West Indies 38-43
Bangladesh 30-19
Zimbabwe 8-6
Pakistan 28-46

Plus Australia played Pakistan twice in England.

Howe_zat

Audio File
India and West Indies it turns out, though the biggest factor is Pakistan not playing at home at all and no one wanting to play long series in the UAE.

Last 10 years

England 69 at home, 56 away
Australia 54 at home, 49 away
South Africa 45 at home, 43 away
India 41 at home, 55 away
Sri Lanka 47 at home, 39 away
New Zealand 38 at home, 40 away
West Indies 38 at home, 43 away
Bangladesh 30 at home, 19 away
Zimbabwe 8 at home, 6 away
Pakistan 7 at home, 21 in the UAE, 46 away

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It changes from period to period.

From Dec 2013 to Dec 2016, Sri Lanka are playing away a lot, in UAE, England, New Zealand, England, New Zealand and South Africa.

From Dec 2013 to October 2015, India played only away. From October 2015 onwards for the next 2 years I believe, India would be playing mostly at home barring the odd away series in West Indies now.

From August 2010 till now, Pakistan have played mostly at home barring the one in South Africa (2013), West Indies (2011), New Zealand (2011) and Zimbabwe 2011 and Bangladesh and Sri Lanka a couple of times. No series in England, Australia, India.

This year onwards, Pakistan play mostly away, just 1 home series against West Indies.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Basically because England have 7 tests at home every summer and then play variable amounts of away tests each year.

cpr

International Coach
We all know that's not the best site for cricket stats. indeed some don't rate it at all.

viriya

International Captain
2016: Eng home 5
2017: Aus home 4, SL away 3, Pak home 3
2018: SA away 4, SL home 3, Eng away 5, WI home 3, Aus away 4

Home : 18 x 7.5 wkts/mat = 135
Away : 16 x 4.5 wkts/mat = 72
Estimated wickets from 2016-2018: 207

Estimated tests for 2019-2021: 42 mat * 6 wkts/mat = 252

Estimated wickets at end of 2021 (age 35): 220 + 207 + 252 = 679

Chance of overtaking Warne's tally (708), likely to pass Kumble's (619). All dependent on no injuries and not turning into Bhajji of course.

If he keeps going after 35, tiny chance of passing Murali but most likely not.

Last edited: