• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
Again sorry for the pop rhetoric.

Back to the cricket.

Is this a very good year in terms of new talent or is it normal year?
Tough to say but 2 of u19 WC winning squad of 2014 are only really getting their chance now in Jason Smith and Aiden Markram when Rabada was fast tracked.

Wiaan Mulder is a bit of prodigy like De Kock and Rabada.

There have been a few other young players like De Bruyn, Ackermann, White, Cloete, E.Moore, Fortuin, Hamza, Phehlukwayo, Savage, Dupavillon, Olivier , Ngidi bubbling under the surface for a while now. Obviously a few others too like van den Bergh, Pretorius, Klaasen who are late bloomers and doing really well at the moment too.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Von Berg tying the Cobras in knots in Cape Town it seems. Figures of 2/3 at the moment.

You think he's ever been on the selectors' radar SeamUp?
Glad for him. Really thought his career in SA was over because he was being targeted in Australia.

He certainly was on the radar as he was in the SA 'A' side not so long ago. Got a slight injury but didn't do much wrong and all of sudden he was out the picture and I think it effected him.

Piedt, Linde, Harmer, Maharaj, Subrayen, Leie, Phangiso, Fortuin and Shamsi were all picked for spin camps to Asia and von Berg was forgotten about for whatever reason.

Marius

International Debutant
Glad for him. Really thought his career in SA was over because he was being targeted in Australia.

He certainly was on the radar as he was in the SA 'A' side not so long ago. Got a slight injury but didn't do much wrong and all of sudden he was out the picture and I think it effected him.

Piedt, Linde, Harmer, Maharaj, Subrayen, Leie, Phangiso, Fortuin and Shamsi were all picked for spin camps to Asia and von Berg was forgotten about for whatever reason.
Yeah, he's probably far down in the pecking order now.

He's also 30, so a bit older than most of the other guys coming through.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Seamup

How do you know so much? Do you physically attend matches? As far as I know the 4 day matches aren't televised.

Bahseph

State Captain
I always wondered why Imraan Khan didn't get more than one Test. Didn't fail spectacularly in the one he played.

Marius

International Debutant
I always wondered why Imraan Khan didn't get more than one Test. Didn't fail spectacularly in the one he played.
Think he was just playing at a time when South Africa had a solid top-order. Think he only played that Test because Graeme Smith was injured.

SeamUp

International Coach
Seamup

How do you know so much? Do you physically attend matches? As far as I know the 4 day matches aren't televised.
I mean how do you get a sense of how good a player really is ? Stats alone ?
Suppose I just watch domestic 50-over stuff and judge players strengths and weakness there (technique wise/vs spin/seam) and then also look at their general attitude. Can't beat seeing a player actually play. Also try and follow a bit of pedigree through the junior ranks so I know a bit about the player before they get into franchise cricket.

From there you can make judgement calls but putting down runs and taking wickets is also pretty important.

SeamUp

International Coach
He is the captain of the limited overs team so would think he plays.
Forgot about that.

So if we forget AB, Faf, Deano, Quinnie, Morrie & Morras for a second who are either injured or with Proteas going into the T20 comp starting in-between 1st and 2nd test then the Titans will have to choose 5 from MARKRAM, KUHN, KLAASEN, VON BERG, WIESE, A.MORKEL. Grant Thomson is also contracted but if he and Morris are fit then it could make things even tougher.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Suppose I just watch domestic 50-over stuff and judge players strengths and weakness there (technique wise/vs spin/seam) and then also look at their general attitude. Can't beat seeing a player actually play. Also try and follow a bit of pedigree through the junior ranks so I know a bit about the player before they get into franchise cricket.

From there you can make judgement calls but putting down runs and taking wickets is also pretty important.
General attitude is so important for me... techniques can improve, but motivation and attitude can be difficult to find.

I have to admit I was under the impression you had played at least to provincial level, as you have an exceptional knowledge of the SA circuit...

SeamUp

International Coach
General attitude is so important for me... techniques can improve, but motivation and attitude can be difficult to find.

I have to admit I was under the impression you had played at least to provincial level, as you have an exceptional knowledge of the SA circuit...
I have played with and against The Bear Levi and one or two other players like Wayne Parnell , Bradley Barnes etc

My old man played Nuffield against Kevin McKenzie , Dassie Biggs , Hylton Ackerman who made the SA Schools team that year with Barry Richards & Mike Procter. And then when he moved to Cape Town he played club cricket basically with the whole Western Province team and faced SA test bowler Pat Trimborn and played Robin Jackman plenty. So the cricketing passion runs deep.

Enough about me. You can make runs at provincial level and take wickets but how did you it is the most important questions that selectors need to ask themselves. Attitude and presence vital.

SeamUp

International Coach
WINNERS OF THE FIRST 4 ROUNDS OF SUNFOIL SERIES

Edward MOORE
Aiden MARKRAM
Colin ACKERMANN
Theunis DE BRUYN
Khaya ZONDO
David MILLER

Jason SMITH
Wiaan MULDER
Dwaine PRETORIUS

Heinrich KLAASEN
Rudi SECOND

Keshav MAHARAJ
Shaun VON BERG
Simon HARMER

Duanne OLIVIER
Marchant DE LANGE
Hardus VILJOEN
Lungi NGIDI

THE LOSERS (From SA 'A' team in the winter)

Omphile RAMELA
Heino KUHN
Stiaan VAN ZYL
Qaasim ADAMS

Dane PIEDT

Dane PATERSON
Sisanda MAGALA
Beuran HENDRICKS

SeamUp

International Coach
Ramela suspended

Omphile Ramela has been found guilty of Clause 6.3.1 (f) of the CSA Code of Conduct and has been suspended for two Sunfoil Series four-day matches, one of which is suspended for one calendar year.

This makes him ineligible for selection for the BuildNat Cape Cobras Sunfoil Series match against the HollywoodBet Dolphins to be played at Boland Park from Thursday, 3 November to Sunday, 6 November 2016.

“I have taken into account the fact that Mr Ramela admitted the offence and has accepted that his behaviour was inappropriate,” commented CSA Disciplinary Commissioner, Professor Rian Cloete.

“Therefore, having taken all factors into account, it is important that an effective penalty be imposed and that it is fundamentally important for disciplinary action to correct behaviour. In the circumstances I am satisfied that the appropriate penalty in respect of this offence, which is a level 2 offence, is a suspension for two matches, of which one (1) match is suspended for one calendar year.”