cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: **Official** County Cricket 2016

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar

**Official** County Cricket 2016

Season has started with Yorks v the MCC in the UAE. Yorks 181/5 (63.0 ov, GS Ballance 86*, WMH Rhodes 37*, JC Tredwell 3/33) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Rudely the MCC had been doing rather well thanks to James Tredwell, who I was reasonably sure no longer took first class wickets. Recovery for the good guys with Ballance and Rhodes going from 90/5 to 180/5.

Highlights of this game are on the YCCC twitter feed: https://twitter.com/YorkshireCCC/sta...02376335761408
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 20-03-2016 at 05:08 AM.
    We are lost
    We can never go home

cpr
    Concerned about the absolute lack of batting Lancs have this year. The other day we had Smith at 3 and Procter at 4, not sure if experimenting or thats genuinely where they've migrated up to in the order.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Impressive stuff from barely 21 year old Will Rhodes. Getting the score from 234/9 up towards 300 on his own, hitting boundaries and keeping the strike

Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Concerned about the absolute lack of batting Lancs have this year. The other day we had Smith at 3 and Procter at 4, not sure if experimenting or thats genuinely where they've migrated up to in the order.
    Bizarre isn't it - and then they go for a seamer as overseas player - Gilo clearly has no faith in Nathan Buck, tom Smith's fitness or Saqib Mahmood - maybe he's right about the first two but Saqib looks the business to me, as does young Hameed, but the rest of the batting is as fragile as it comes, and Alviro Petersen is no Ashwell Prince

I realised Alviro Petersen had become an old pro of county cricket when he tweeted the world's county cricketest tweet. It really stuck with me.

Stumps called because of the rain. Heading on to Chelmsford.
    Prince EWS likes this.

International 12th Man
    Will Chris Rogers and Chris Gayle be playing for Somerset this season ?

International Coach
    ^ Yes

Gary Ballance will be in frame for an England recall if any of Hales + Taylor fail. Always liked Ballance to be fair, he was in wretched form in home Ashes but he isn't a bad player.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Impressive stuff from barely 21 year old Will Rhodes. Getting the score from 234/9 up towards 300 on his own, hitting boundaries and keeping the strike
    Disappointed. From browsing the scorecard I was sure they had ditched the young one and dug up zombie Wilfred Rhodes.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

FBU
    Can;t believe Surrey have signed Rampaul for two years
    Tom Curran, Sam Curran, Burke, Dernbach, Dunn, Meaker, Footitt, Conor McKerr and Mathew Pillans

International Coach
    Saqib Mahmood should have a big season this year. I agree I think he looks like a huge talent.

cpr
    It just scares me a little still to see S.Mahmood in the bowling column...
    vcs and NZTailender like this.

Hall of Fame Member fredfertang's Avatar
    County Championship Preview, 2016

The tinkermen of English cricket have been at work, and 2016is the last time the County Championship will be played in its current format.In this feature Martin takes a look at the summer that lies ahead.
    Howe_zat likes this.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    Thought it was questionable that Lancs got Prince to go back on his retirement last year. Sure he got them back in the first division but what good is that now? Short term bump but really they needed others to show they can score runs.

Looking at their squad (in relation to the other teams) I can't see them staying up. They'll need two or three of what I call average county pros (Brown, Croft, Bailey, Clarke) to really progress to the next level and/or Anderson to win them a load of games when he's available and/or win most games at home on spinning wickets - if they are to stay up.

Hameed and Saqib are very good prospects but they ain't going to be game changers yet in a division 1 that continues to get stronger.

Haven't decided yet who I think will be the other team to go down.

International Regular theegyptian's Avatar
    Glad that they've changed the bouncer law in white ball cricket. Last year with the no ball and free hit for anything over head height was really stupid.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Thought it was questionable that Lancs got Prince to go back on his retirement last year. Sure he got them back in the first division but what good is that now? Short term bump but really they needed others to show they can score runs.

Looking at their squad (in relation to the other teams) I can't see them staying up. They'll need two or three of what I call average county pros (Brown, Croft, Bailey, Clarke) to really progress to the next level and/or Anderson to win them a load of games when he's available and/or win most games at home on spinning wickets - if they are to stay up.

Hameed and Saqib are very good prospects but they ain't going to be game changers yet in a division 1 that continues to get stronger.

Haven't decided yet who I think will be the other team to go down.

Thats the issue, Brown and Clark are the level of mediocrity we accept as first XI batsmen, along with the likes of Procter. Crofts got a bit more about him, and Bailey isn't a bad bowler but might find himself still on the fringes with the amount of pace bowlers we have lined up (Buck, Jarvis, Griffiths, Edwards, Mahmood, Smith, Anderson when available)

Expect OT to spin this year, as Kerrigan will be our main threat, with Lilley likely to be our go to all-rounder. Add to the mix Parry too and we've got a decent spin unit, with a coach who understands the art. I think ultimately our inability to finish off a game and far too many draws will be our big stumbling point, as has been in other seasons we've struggled in the top flight.

In the shorter game our batting actually looks alright, Smith and Croft perform better in LO cricket, Davies has been looking good, Livingstone isn't scared to hit the ball, Lilley is more than capable of quick runs. Would be disappointed if we don't make finals day again

Page 1 of 134 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information