cricket betting betway blog banner small

View Poll Results: Which is the more difficult transition?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • International T20s > Tests

2 33.33%
  • Domestic first class (4/5 days) > Tests

4 66.67%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By zorax

Thread: The greater challenge for a cricketer is...

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar

The greater challenge for a cricketer is...

Interested in opinions on this. Also interested on opinions if there's a difference between batting, bowling and fielding.

Dave Warner (boo hiss) makes me think the transition from IT20s might be easier.

Was thinking about this in special reference to an NZ domestic T20 competition and what that might mean for future pathways to the Test side.

International Vice-Captain The Battlers Prince's Avatar
    Depends on the era. In the 90's and early 00's in Australia the domestic FC comp was so strong the step up wasn't great. And in some cases it was really a step down. The case currently isn't the same, but if the pitches were better at present they'd be producing a better standard cricketer as well.
    As far a NZ is concerned I'm seeing more international games being a positive. From my perspective
    Last edited by The Battlers Prince; 30-01-2016 at 05:46 AM.

... not giving up when international selection is delayed.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    This really depends on the player doesn't it? If the player's main weakness is temperament, then cracking FC will help them make the move to Tests more than T20Is. If the player has the temperament but lacks the tools, they can dominate FC all they want but Tests would be too hard for them - for these players being able to adapt to the pace and standard of International cricket through T20Is would make the step up to Tests easier.
    kiwiviktor81 and vcs like this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    As a rule, I will say the skillsets you get to hone in T20s will not really help you in tests. But then there is Dave Warner and Ravi Ashwin who really made the journey from Intl T20 to Intl Tests. And WArner had not even played FC when he played T20Is for Australia. I would say that if you do have the skills, then temperament wise the exposure to international cricket will help such players from T20Is to Tests far more than FC to tests. But for a young player looking to develop a skill set, a la Root, FC to tests is much better than T20Is to tests.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

U19 Cricketer
    I picked Domestic to Internationals and my reasons are non-cricketing ones but important challenges that the players face in International cricket 1) Lure of money and more money 2) Depression, Stress and anxiety 3) not able to handle fame etc..Vinod Kambli, Marcus Trescothick and Monty Panesar are good examples of this new age phenomenon..Didnt feel like including Trott as i feel the sucker lied that he had depression..

I don't think Trott was dishonest about his mental problems. He always struck me as a thoroughly decent and humorous sort of person and may have been one of those people who gets depressed from being too nice.

Re: honestbharani's post, I guess what it comes down to is whether the biggest challenge about batting in Tests when compared to lower levels is the tightness of the bowling or the dangerousness of the high pace/movement. Probably in IT20s a batsman will face a high number of wicket taking balls, like in Tests. But in FC a batsman will face tight bowling, like in Tests.

U19 Cricketer
    i thought he agreed that it was burnout rather than depression..anyway......

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doesitmatter View Post
    The "burnout" thing came off as him trying to trying deny his own condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

U19 Cricketer
    flip flop makes me not believe him more..he just quit..period..

Quote Originally Posted by doesitmatter View Post
    It's not always easy to tell the difference between burnout and depression.

Dan
    Yeah, self-analysis of mental states (especially when you're not in a great one) is clearly an exact science.

Whatever it was, Trott was suffering. It's idiotic and disrespectful to cast doubt on his character because of it.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Prince EWS you are a ****ing piece of ****, I hope you die soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    There's obviously no answer to this question, should see some interesting discussion though I guess

Thread Information