• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd best ODI side?

Which is the 2nd best ODI side (behind Oz)?

• NZ

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • India

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • South Africa

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Bangladesh (have bullied the other sides at home)

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
In fairness, England have been strong in home ODIs over the last decade, though Australia have consistently beaten them there. Did well at the Champions Trophy in 2004 and 2013. Since the next World Cup will be hosted there, it makes sense to play more at home.
Last year was NZ's first ODI series loss in England since 1994. Our record in Bangladesh on the other hand...

MrPrez

International Debutant
I admittedly haven't followed much ODI cricket in the past year or two, but South Africa often trick people into overrating the team. We have a few brilliant ODI players (AB, Hashim, Steyn etc), but the support is often disappointing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wouldn't even say Steyn is that good in ODIs. Better than he was but I don't think he'd get in my World XI.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Did well in those Champions Trophy but choked from near unloseable positions in both those finals.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't even say Steyn is that good in ODIs. Better than he was but I don't think he'd get in my World XI.
He's built for awesomeness in Tests. Pitches the ball up too much not to get smoked every now and again in ODIs, also his stock ball is the one that goes away from the right-hander. Most successful bowlers in ODIs bowl wicket to wicket and make the batsman make mistakes.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
For some reason this post reminded me of the time an Indian scribe asked Vengsarkar (who was the chief selector back then) why Nehra was not picked for the 2007 WC team. He added that he had performed well in the 2003 WC. Vengsarkar responded saying "I played well in the 1987 WC. so should I select myself?" or something to that effect. :laugh:
Lol yes I remember that. Hilarious stuff :laugh: The reporter mentioned Nehra's 6/23 vs England in 03 WC :laugh:

BD have beaten SA and India in Bangladesh. Two teams that most users are ranking above England ATM in this thread. I don't really think it would be a surprise if they beat England at home as well.
Exactly my point.

Permanent avatar bet says England won't lose an ODI series in Bangladesh. Have a word with yourselves ffs.
This is a massive call and it reflects a lack of familarity with BD ODI team in their own conditions.

Having said that, Energetic's hyperbole is taken the Bangladesh issue to a whole new extreme level. Bangladesh have absolutely nothing to show outside of home, not even in other SC countries. It's not entirely their fault, as they don't get that many opportunities, but that is still no justification to make claims like that.

If you want a high level of respect, the team will have to win a major tournament (Asia Cup at home is a good start) or start winning 40-50% of their bilateral series away from home.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
"Having said that, Energetic's hyperbole is taken the Bangladesh issue to a whole new extreme level. Bangladesh have absolutely nothing to show outside of home, not even in other SC countries. It's not entirely their fault, as they don't get that many opportunities, but that is still no justification to make claims like that."

"If you want a high level of respect, the team will have to win a major tournament (Asia Cup at home is a good start) or start winning 40-50% of their bilateral series away from home."

Can't argue with your statement since what you've said is true and fair, but I know they are good enough to win many ODI games away from home now based on their showings at the world cup and at home. Don't forget England have had so much preparation up and till the world cup; whereas, Bangladesh didn't, yet they beat them. Actually, Bangladesh barely play down-under, yet they beat them. New Zealand also had a lot of preparation till the world cup, and Bangladesh almost beat them, when they were considered strong favourites for the tournament.

Stace

First Class Debutant
"Having said that, Energetic's hyperbole is taken the Bangladesh issue to a whole new extreme level. Bangladesh have absolutely nothing to show outside of home, not even in other SC countries. It's not entirely their fault, as they don't get that many opportunities, but that is still no justification to make claims like that."

"If you want a high level of respect, the team will have to win a major tournament (Asia Cup at home is a good start) or start winning 40-50% of their bilateral series away from home."

Can't argue with your statement since what you've said is true and fair, but I know they are good enough to win many ODI games away from home now based on their showings at the world cup and at home. Don't forget England have had so much preparation up and till the world cup; whereas, Bangladesh didn't, yet they beat them. Actually, Bangladesh barely play down-under, yet they beat them. New Zealand also had a lot of preparation till the world cup, and Bangladesh almost beat them, when they were considered strong favourites for the tournament.
Don't forget that all that preparation was absolutely ****. We prepared for a world cup in AUS/NZ by playing a series in Sri Lanka, then sacked our captain and we brought in Gary Ballance (basically a like for like). It was the preparation that ruined our chances of doing anything at the WC, Even with all that we should of beat Bangladesh but choked at the end.

Do you think Bangladesh would beat this England team now if they played in AUS?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Didn't England play an ODI series in Australia against Australia before the WC? Or have I got the wrong year?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
haha, oh yes that was the series where everyone was saying Aus vs. Ind final was a foregone conclusion, but India played like crap and Eng made the final. In fact Eng were in a winning position in the final until the Big Show Maxwell came to the rescue and almost made a ton if I recall correctly.

In all honesty I was saying at the time that India, having come off the 4 test series, were not going to be too bothered with that ODI series. You can't be in Aust for 4-5 months and be engaged the whole time.

What is good and not good preparation for a WC is subjective, but there is no doubt in my mind that being in the country and conditions where the WC will be held is good preparation. And so I'd classify India and England (and whoever toured NZ that summer) having had good prep for the WC, compared to Bangladesh and other teams.

Last edited:

Stace

First Class Debutant
Surely its only good prep if you prepare in the right way, like get a settled side and play your best players in there best positions...

Stace

First Class Debutant
I don't think its as easy as playing 3 matches and then everything is going to be fine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's the team's fault though if they aren't picking the right players. The point is England were given an opportunity to have better preparation for the WC than Bangladesh. That's undeniable surely?

The fact they stuffed up by not realising their captain was a mediocre ODI player until 5 mins before the WC is neither here nor there.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Very true (I think Cook was good enough btw) and I must admit I read energetics post wrong as I thought he meant England had good preparation, now I realise he just meant England had more preparation I stand corrected (well sit corrected).

Last edited: