• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best batsman on poor pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Richardson only become a batsman a few years ago, after his spin lost it's effetivenes?
I have seen Richardson look all at sea against quality swing and seam bowling. I have also heard of many occasions where he has scored runs on wickets that have offered nothing to the seamers in conditions that have made swing difficult.
It is true that he made good runs against India in the 2002\03 season, but that is about the only occasion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
It's almost like his bat is traveling so fast that the ball does not have time to swing away form the middle.
I seriously hope you're only joking there.

deeps

International 12th Man
I happen to remember old trafford a few years back... Mark Taylor dcided to bat on a whicket that had lots of grass...every1 was shocked! wickets fell quickly...waugh went out and made a hundred in each innings...the first innigs was a very difficult one....so definately him

i don't see the point in this thread...nowadays there's not many bowler friendly ptices going around unfortunately!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
I seriously hope you're only joking there.
I am not joking because it does appear that way. But having said that I only said it looks that way I dont actualy think that's the reason why he still middles the ball very well when it's swinging.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
I am not joking because it does appear that way. But having said that I only said it looks that way I dont actualy think that's the reason why he still middles the ball very well when it's swinging.
He can't possibly be any better than anyone else at middling the swinging ball. No reason why he should be.
What he is extremely good at is intimidating the bowlers - and as we all know so well, the intimidated bowler finds it that much harder to swing the ball.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Out of interest, on what basis do you say that, when the opposite never seems to apply when used?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard, please state the number of times you've seen Mark Richardson bat out of his 29 tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
Richard, please state the number of times you've seen Mark Richardson bat out of his 29 tests.
Live - 3. You can probably guess which ones.
Highlights\snips - 21. Didn't see the any of the Pakistan tour (the abandoned one), nor the Zimbabwe (2000\01) or Bangladesh (2001\02) ones.
I did take a good examination of all the pitches, whether or not it was in looking at them close-up on camera.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Out of interest, on what basis do you say that, when the opposite never seems to apply when used?
Have you seriously never noticed how when the ball starts to fly to the boundary, the ball "mysteriously" stops swinging 9 times out of 10?
Nor that the easiest time to swing the ball is when there's no pressure on the bowler whatsoever?
I, a swing bowler, certainly notice that in my own games.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well you seriously claim that when the batsman is being put under pressure it makes no difference to the next ball he faces.

now with a bowler you say the opposite...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've never said anything of the sort.
I have said pressure is in the mind, not put there by the bowler. Hence the bowler doesn't deserve credit for pressure on the batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have never done anything of the sort.
I have simply attempted to show that bowlers don't create that pressure, and hence deserve no credit for what happens because of it.
Sometimes I may have downplayed it's influence, but that does not mean I have denied it's existence.
Find a quote if you can.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So how come whenever anyone talks about pressure getting onto a batsman and him getting out to a loose shot, you say there's no such thing as pressure?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For crying out loud, how many times?
You have made the same statement three times now, and I have stated that you are wrong three times.
Maybe if I try this you might read it:
I have never said pressure does not exist, simply that the bowler doesn't deserve credit for it's existance because it exists in the batsman's mind only, and it is not to the bowler's credit if the batsman worries about the scoring-rate when he need not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So how does the pressure enter the batsmans mind? (even though you often state that it doesn't happen to good players as they discount what's happened before)

If the pressure of being hit gets to the bowler, does that mean the batsman doesn't deserve credit for that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doesn't it matter if you're being hammered all over the park?
Only an insane bowler wouldn't mind.
Only an insane batsman would mind if he's scoring slowly when it doesn't matter.
If the batsman is hitting the ball for quick runs, clearly he's batting well. Hence he deserves some credit, at least, for the pressure on the bowler.
Any pressure due to the scoring-rate is not to the credit of the bowler because it's the batsman's fault.
And yes, most good batsmen do forget if something happened the previous ball, eg a Bouncer.