• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: Should Smith have allowed Voges to get his triple century?

Should Smith have allowed Voges to get his triple century?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sometimes you just have enough runs. Going out to bat facing 500-odd means the WI bats feel the pressure of some chance of getting back into the game which creates more chances for the bowlers and gets them back in the sheds sooner if they take advantage, keeps their mind on taking wickets. Facing 7002452340+, the game is dead, the bats are just going to bat time because they're out of it and bowlers have to work harder for wickets ("God, why doesn't he just get out already?!" The game's done."). Batting less here makes it more likely Voges won't be shot in a game down the track too.

So yeah, I back Smith's declaration, I'm guessing it's just him maintaining the style in which he wants the team to play because letting things get too flabby mentally is dangerous, indulging for selfish reasons doesn't promote good habits. I mean, if you're maintaining a good fitness level and you're confronted with a buffet of all your favourite foods, do you gorge? No, you show some discipline because 'just this once' can go down a bad road. It's not an #intent or aggression thing, an early declaration keeps things moving in a team, fitness and positive psychology sorta sense. Has nice flow-ons when you play against someone good.
Yeah but 30 runs. The rate at which they were going it'd have taken Voges barely another half hour to get there.

Also don't think he West indies batsmen would necessarily give fewer chances when batting for time since the majority of them have ****ty defensive techniques.

cnerd123

likes this
Tactically - declare when it fits the team best

But realistically - c'mon, when else is Voges ever going to get to make a test triple ton? Give the guy a chance. It's a moment he'd cherish for his entire life. Why deny him that just to possibly give the bowlers an extra 10-15 overs of rest later in the game?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm glad he declared - a triple century against this sort of opposition serves only to devalue what is a great achievement - this West Indies side is so dire - it really has been an astonishing fall from grace in just a generation - so sad

TumTum

Banned
The real question is why is this even an issue? I doubt even Voges cares.

Smith declared because there was rain at lunch break which would have juiced up the pitch. We had plenty of runs and Voges wasn't close to 300.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The real question is why is this even an issue? I doubt even Voges cares.

Smith declared because there was rain at lunch break which would have juiced up the pitch. We had plenty of runs and Voges wasn't close to 300.
Against an attack like this you are always close to 300.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
I didn't think it was an issue until I read CW. I'm up in the air about it. On one hand, there was no real reason to declare in the sense that the innings wasn't getting long in the tooth or anything. If it had been tea and Voges was on 269 then I could understand. On the other hand, who cares? On another hand, I'm almost positive Smith would not have declared if it was he who was on 270. On yet another hand, no, seriously, who cares?

Niall

International Coach
Yep Smith got it right. Their has been talk about rain about lets not forget also.

Personal milestones are nowhere near as important as wins,so often these days teams bat to long in test match innings chasing these landmarks.

The more overs they waste in letting Voges get his triple reduces their chances of been able to bundle the West Indies out twice in what could be rain interrupted days.

I know the West Indies are crap, but I doubt a test captain especially one so inexperienced would be thinking " ah this lot are muck, we win whenever we want", nope respect the opposition by your actions and treat them as seriously as you would a South Africa, India or Pakistan.:)

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep Smith got it right. Their has been talk about rain about lets not forget also.

Personal milestones are nowhere near as important as wins,so often these days teams bat to long in test match innings chasing these landmarks.

The more overs they waste in letting Voges get his triple reduces their chances of been able to bundle the West Indies out twice in what could be rain interrupted days.

I know the West Indies are crap, but I doubt a test captain especially one so inexperienced would be thinking " ah this lot are muck, we win whenever we want", nope respect the opposition by your actions and treat them as seriously as you would a South Africa, India or Pakistan.:)
They should get what they give, treat the game without respect and in response let them be manhandled without respect.

watson

Banned
I'm glad he declared - a triple century against this sort of opposition serves only to devalue what is a great achievement - this West Indies side is so dire - it really has been an astonishing fall from grace in just a generation - so sad
I'm also a little relieved that they fell 3 runs short of overtaking the Bradman-Ponsford record partnership set in 1934 as it would have been unfair.

Bradman made 244 with a strike rate of 90.03 against Bowes, Allen, Clark, Verity, Hammond, and Leyland.

Ashes 1934: Bradman and Ponsford add 451 runs to break their own world record for any wicket - Latest Cricket News, Articles & Videos at CricketCountry.com

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I voted Other. Not gonna explain because that's how I roll. **** goats
I also voted other but I am going to explain because that's how I roll.

Voges's score shouldn't have played much if any of a role in Smith's decision. I think the poll question is a bit of a false dichotomy between declaring at the ideal time and waiting a little bit longer to allow someone a chance at personal milestone. Smith's declaration was ridiculous, but for the reasons Dan articulated and not because of what Voges was on.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't have declared when we did but it surprises me people are getting so angry over this. Realistically declaring when we did wasn't going to affect the match in any way.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I wouldn't have declared when we did but it surprises me people are getting so angry over this. Realistically declaring when we did wasn't going to affect the match in any way.
I'm not really sure people are angry about this specific example, at least the people on CW. From what I can gather people are annoyed by the narrative. The "aggressive at all costs" style that Clarke, Lehmann and now Smith are peddling, like it's some sort of virtue. I personally hate the narrative, and in multiple situations in the last 10 years or so, I think we've declared too early. As someone who's played a lot of cricket (not at a very high level, of course), I felt reprieved by early declarations. Especially as a top 3 batsman. I don't believe the only form of aggression is an early declaration to push for a result. Aggression can be making the opponents suffer in the field. Putting 650 up. Making them come out after tea for half a session exhausted as ****. That can be aggressive cricket too.