• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What makes a good test pitch?

cnerd123

likes this
The reason why IMO a pitch spinning from ball 1 is generally not a good pitch, is for the primary reason that dry spinning pitches break up and get harder to bat on the longer they're in the sun. That hands a big advantage to the team that wins the toss and bats first. That's why the gold standard for pitches is movement on day 1, good for batting on days 2 and 3, and spin from day 4 onwards - not only does it bring a variety of skills into play over the course of a match, it also helps to even out the advantage offered by winning the toss.
If a pitch actually ever does that, then call it a bad pitch. The Nagpur pitch behaved more or less the same across all 3 days. I've said this before, but writing off a pitch as being poor because it may have broken up in the future is ridiculous. The match ended on Day 3, it's irrelevant how the pitch would have behaved on Day 4.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If a pitch actually ever does that, then call it a bad pitch. The Nagpur pitch behaved more or less the same across all 3 days. I've said this before, but writing off a pitch as being poor because it may have broken up in the future is ridiculous. The match ended on Day 3, it's irrelevant how the pitch would have behaved on Day 4.
Yeah wasn't speaking about the Nagpur pitch. The reason why it was crap was because it was so bad that it made batting any length of time obscenely difficult.

cnerd123

likes this
The reason why it was crap was because it was so bad that it made batting any length of time obscenely difficult.
Why is it a bad thing if either batsmen or bowlers have to struggle? This is Test cricket after all, is it not?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Why is it a bad thing if either batsmen or bowlers have to struggle? This is Test cricket after all, is it not?
I don't like surfaces where conditions are stacked massively in favour of either, as I think it reduces the quality of the cricket on offer. I actually think that conditions at Adelaide were really poor too. Sure it was an exciting match in the sense that it was very close throughout, but when you see Doug Bracewell's strategy of walking across his stumps and wogging the ball over deep backward square yielding better results than Kane Williamson doing his damndest to play a proper test innings, then I don't think the balance was right.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't like surfaces where conditions are stacked massively in favour of either, as I think it reduces the quality of the cricket on offer. I actually think that conditions at Adelaide were really poor too. Sure it was an exciting match in the sense that it was very close throughout, but when you see Doug Bracewell's strategy of walking across his stumps and wogging the ball over deep backward square yielding better results than Kane Williamson doing his damndest to play a proper test innings, then I don't think the balance was right.
If we didn't have conditions heavily stacked in favour of one discipline over the other, we wouldn't have so many ATG performances - Gavaskar's 96, Clarke's 151, the Pakistani bowlers hooping the old ball miles on their dead home tracks, etc etc.

We would also lose out on identifying those cricketers who have the ability to be exceptional even when the conditions are against them - think Hobbs, Dravid, Imran, Wasim, even Warne to an extent.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If we didn't have conditions heavily stacked in favour of one discipline over the other, we wouldn't have so many ATG performances - Gavaskar's 96, Clarke's 151, the Pakistani bowlers hooping the old ball miles on their dead home tracks, etc etc.

We would also lose out on identifying those cricketers who have the ability to be exceptional even when the conditions are against them - think Hobbs, Dravid, Imran, Wasim, even Warne to an extent.
It's one thing having challenging conditions, and quite another having conditions where a 40 may as well be 100.

cnerd123

likes this
It's one thing having challenging conditions, and quite another having conditions where a 40 may as well be 100.
Where are you drawing the line? What's the minimum highest score that needs to be achieved on a pitch before you call it good? Are we absolving the batsmen of all culpability here and saying that any pitch on which neither side's batsmen cross 'X' amount of runs is now a poor pitch? What's the equivalent standard for bowling figures?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Where are you drawing the line? What's the minimum highest score that needs to be achieved on a pitch before you call it good? Are we absolving the batsmen of all culpability here and saying that any pitch on which neither side's batsmen cross 'X' amount of runs is now a poor pitch?What's the equivalent standard for bowling figures?
81 and 4/75.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Where are you drawing the line? What's the minimum highest score that needs to be achieved on a pitch before you call it good? Are we absolving the batsmen of all culpability here and saying that any pitch on which neither side's batsmen cross 'X' amount of runs is now a poor pitch? What's the equivalent standard for bowling figures?
Seriously though, if you like conditions where batting through a session is as difficult as batting through a day usually would be then fine. I personally think it encourages reckless cricket and punishes good batting.

cnerd123

likes this
Seriously though, if you like conditions where batting through a session is as difficult as batting through a day usually would be then fine. I personally think it encourages reckless cricket and punishes good batting.
If a pitch actually was unpredictable to the extent where conventional batting wisdom stopped applying and the soundest strategy would actually be to just hit out till you get out, then I would agree that such a pitch is poor. But as Vijay, Amla, Faf, Dhawan all demonstrated at Nagpur, that clearly wasn't the case there. Batting was bloody difficult, but still possible. Good techniques and good mindsets were still rewarded. You just had to be prepared to score a 2 RPO and not 3, and had to settle for a par score in the 200s and not 300+ as we have all become accustomed to. And honestly I see nothing wrong with that at all.

cnerd123

likes this
Same with the Adelaide game tbh. The batsmen just needed to stop prodding at balls they could have left, and wait till the ball got soft and the sun was out before actually trying to cash in. At various points the tailenders were showing everyone how easy batting on that pitch could be.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If a pitch actually was unpredictable to the extent where conventional batting wisdom stopped applying and the soundest strategy would actually be to just hit out till you get out, then I would agree that such a pitch is poor. But as Vijay, Amla, Faf, Dhawan all demonstrated at Nagpur, that clearly wasn't the case there. Batting was bloody difficult, but still possible. Good techniques and good mindsets were still rewarded. You just had to be prepared to score a 2 RPO and not 3, and had to settle for a par score in the 200s and not 300+ as we have all become accustomed to. And honestly I see nothing wrong with that at all.
Until something like this comes along to undo all the hard work.

haha, you've gotta feel for Faf there as he sinks to his knees.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I'd have more sympathy for Faf he wasn't shaping up to play an ugly hoick across the line to that ball tbh.

indiaholic

International Captain
Faf would have kept it out if he wasn't going for the pull. Mind you, am not saying that the shot selection was wrong.

cnerd123

likes this
As any pitch ever been rated as poor for offering excessive seam movement to quick bowlers? Only seems like turning pitches or flat pitches get reported.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have more sympathy for Faf he wasn't shaping up to play an ugly hoick across the line to that ball tbh.
Faf would have kept it out if he wasn't going for the pull. Mind you, am not saying that the shot selection was wrong.
Both true. It's obviously harsh on Faf but it wasn't an impossible delivery. You've got to be willing to cut out a few of your horizontal bat shots to give yourself the best chance to survive the ones which keep low. Best example : Dravid at Sabina 06.

cnerd123

likes this
Its a reflection of modern cricket that a batsman's instinct to such a delivery is to rock back and pull it. They have grown up playing on pitches that offer consistent bounce, and as such have developed techniques that maximise their run scoring in such conditions. Horizontal bat shots are theoreticaly supposed to be low-percentage, high-risk shots. But such is modern cricket that it's almost as common as a drive or a flick.

That's another big problem I have with people calling these pitches poor. Sure the batsmen struggled, but is that because of the pitch, or because the batsmen are ill-equipped technically to play on such pitches? And if it's the latter, then surely that means we need more pitches like this, not less.