cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Black cricketers in South Africa have apparently sent a letter of complaint to CSA

Black cricketers in South Africa have apparently sent a letter of complaint to CSA

Zondo mum on 'black cricketers in unity' letter

2015-11-11 12:19

Lloyd Burnard - Sport24

Cape Town - Proteas squad member Khaya Zondo finds himself at the heart of cricket's latest transformation quandary.

The middle order batsman was a part of the T20 and ODI squads in India last month, although he returned to South African having not featured in either of the two T20Is (the third was washed out) or five ODIs.

And now, there are reports of a letter sent to Cricket South Africa (CSA) highlighting the concerns of black players not getting an opportunity on Proteas tours.

Zondo says he has seen reports of the letter, but he does not want to talk about it.

The 25-year-old was expected by many to make his Proteas debut after JP Duminy was ruled out of the final two ODIs in India, but it was not to be.

First, all-rounder Chris Morris was selected as Duminy's replacement and then in the final match Dean Elgar - not part of the original ODI squad - was rushed in ahead of Zondo.

According to Wednesday's edition of Die Burger, the letter raised concerns from black players who felt that they were not being treated fairly on Proteas tours, with the hashtag '#DrinksCarriersMustFall' featuring at the end of it.

When contacted by Sport24 on Wednesday, Zondo was not prepared to publicly discuss the letter or its contents.

Back with the Dolphins and in the middle of their T20 campaign, Zondo spoke fondly of his time in India and said he wanted to work hard to stay in the mix for a Proteas call-up in the future.

"It was good. It was nice to be around the guys and learn things from them," said Zondo.

"Now it's just about going back to working hard."
    Zondo mum on 'black cricketers in unity' letter | Sport24

I also saw an Afrikaans news report about this, and allegedly the letter also complains about the lack of game time for Aaron Phangiso in the World Cup, among other issues.

I think these guys may have something of a point. Why was Elgar picked ahead of Zondo? And why was Tsolekile contracted to CSA for a year in 2012/13 and not even get one game?

That said, CSA is doing a lot to push transformation, strict quotas at franchise level etc. Will be interesting to see where this ends up and which black players are involved with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Zondo mum on 'black cricketers in unity' letter | Sport24

I also saw an Afrikaans news report about this, and allegedly the letter also complains about the lack of game time for Aaron Phangiso in the World Cup, among other issues.

I think these guys may have something of a point. Why was Elgar picked ahead of Zondo? And why was Tsolekile contracted to CSA for a year in 2012/13 and not even get one game?

That said, CSA is doing a lot to push transformation, strict quotas at franchise level etc. Will be interesting to see where this ends up and which black players are involved with this.
    If Tsolekile and Phangiso could really argue that, then their taking their race prejudice to an unfortunate level - since the SA selectors made a perfectly sane selection in all three case.

This is the kind of unfortunate nonsense these unofficial and official quotas is bound to cause - unnecessary racial tension.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    If Tsolekile and Phangiso could really argue that, then their taking their race prejudice to an unfortunate level - since the SA selectors made a perfectly sane selection in all three case.

This is the kind of unfortunate nonsense these unofficial and official quotas is bound to cause - unnecessary racial tension.
    Tahir absolutely gunned it in the world cup, genuinely no idea how you play both unless its against the minnows especially in Australia/NZ. He should be very close to the side for the t20 world cup at least.

Tsolekike, I understand his annoyance, but including him in the side would have weakened the batting considerably, and it just wasn't worth it. Maybe if he was young lad with a decade or so of test cricket in him, but not at his stage in his career. Sucks for him, but a fair enough exclusion.

Don't know enough about Zondo to comment, although from what I seen of Elgar in his brief limited overs career, I can understand his annoyance somewhat, Elgar is someone just not needed whatsoever in this South African ODI side.
    Last edited by Niall; 11-11-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Actually just looked at the Zondo stats on cricinfo, not to remarkable, has he gunned it recently?

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Yeah CSA are evil racists. How dare they select the best and most deserving players to play in the team when they should be selecting less deserving, worse players because of their race.

To be honest, i'd be more concerned if a guy who can't even average 30 in any format after 8 years of playing can debut for South Africa.

To quote my SA friend on this: "We're beating a dead horse. We all know how quota works. Government push black players through the ranks instead of growing better quality from the beginning. Thus giving us Zondo being forced into the SA squad with an average under 30. Honestly everyone knew he would not be called up into the XI. This is all a big waste of time..."
    test cricketer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    Don't know enough about Zondo to comment, although from what I seen of Elgar in his brief limited overs career, I can understand his annoyance somewhat, Elgar is someone just not needed whatsoever in this South African ODI side.
    I don't think so TBF. Elgar doesn't look ideally suited to ODIs, but his List A stats are pretty good and he generally bats up the order. He went to IND recently as Duminy's sort of like for like replacement - which sort of made sense although you could argue they should have picked A Morkel instead.

Zondo was the LOL quota and SA selectors just went around him for obvious reasons.

International Regular
    They're right.

Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    They're right.
    Most predictable response of the millennium.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    Most predictable response of the millennium.
    Actually it's 2nd behind this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Why was Elgar picked ahead of Zondo
    I assumed it was because he could bowl at the time, but he didn't actually bowl in the game. To be fair South Africa only used five bowlers so it's still possible they leaned towards him as sixth bowling cover.

It's also possible that they never actually thought Zondo was better than Elgar in the first place and only picked him in the squad as they thought it was a way of 'encouraging transformation' without actually having to weaken the side by selecting him. The opposite questions of 'why was Zondo selected in the squad ahead of Elgar' and 'why was Tsolekile contracted in 2012/13 ahead of someone likely to actually play' could quite equally be asked. Obviously there's some inconsistency here but the facts themselves don't show on which end the unmeritocratic decisions are being made.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 11-11-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    If you want to get caught up in definitional problems, then don't have laws at all. About anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babar Hayat
    Chinese guy comes in

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    This sort of thing must be a seriously rough job

No matter what they do they are criticised by both sides
    We are lost
    We can never go home

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I assumed it was because he could bowl at the time, but he didn't actually bowl in the game. To be fair South Africa only used five bowlers so it's still possible they leaned towards him as sixth bowling cover.

It's also possible that they never actually thought Zondo was better than Elgar in the first place and only picked him in the squad as they thought it was a way of 'encouraging transformation' without actually having to weaken the side by selecting him. The opposite questions of 'why was Zondo selected in the squad ahead of Elgar' and 'why was Tsolekile contracted in 2012/13 ahead of someone likely to actually play' could quite equally be asked. Obviously there's some inconsistency here but the facts themselves don't show on which end the unmeritocratic decisions are being made.
    That's the thing - neither should have been selected to be honest.

Tsolekile was a good keeper, but by 2012 his time had already passed - I think he was already 30 by then. But he was contracted to CSA, he should have gotten a game.

Same with Zondo - he's in the squad, have the courage of your convictions and play the fellow.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I think it's pretty clear that Craig only gets picked over Sodhi because of white privilege, people need to stop burying their heads in the sand and wake up and realise this.
    RossTaylorsBox and Flem274* like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information