• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chucking.

Beleg

International Regular
Okay, I am sure there had been other threads on this topic but guess another one won't hurt.

Do you think Murlitharan chucks?
Can someone explain in detail why his action can't be called illegal and the alleged bend of his wrist and is it in anyway similar with Brett Lee's bent elbow?

Swervy

International Captain
it all in the straightening of the arm...if the arm is bent at it starts coming over and then straightens, it is deemed a throw (obviously is abit more complex than that). I think the thing with Murali is that he cant apparently physically completely straighten is arm, so really the straightening cant happen. His contorted wrist (if contorted is the right word) exagerates the the lack of straight arm(!!!!).

So i guess coz he doesnt straighten his arm in the final whipping over of the arm, it isnt really chucking.

I personally do not think he is a chucker.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not quite, I don't think.

An arm that isn't straight looks straight from several angles - try it with your own arm.

As a bowling action comes round, an arm occupies a vast array of angles, and looks like it bends and straightens - hence the illusion of the throw.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
IMO, if Murali has been cleared by the ICC, then he does not chuck. I don't sit ata cricket match or in front of the TV, seeing if this bowler chucks or not.....I enjoy the game!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
SquidAU said:
IMO, if Murali has been cleared by the ICC, then he does not chuck. I don't sit ata cricket match or in front of the TV, seeing if this bowler chucks or not.....I enjoy the game!
Well said.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
chucking - the elbow being bent AT THE POINT OF DELIVERY :)

hence brett lee in now way chucks :)

Murali chucks, but he cant help it - i have a problem with it however when i see younger spinners copying him and chucking really badly

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually, you can have your elbow bent, as long as youy dont starighten it by more than 10 degrees. If you keep your arm bent, at the same angle the whole time, its fine.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
chucking - the elbow being bent AT THE POINT OF DELIVERY :)

hence brett lee in now way chucks :)

Murali chucks, but he cant help it - i have a problem with it however when i see younger spinners copying him and chucking really badly
Wrong, on both counts.
Chucking = the sinuosity of the arm changing from the point where it is parallell to the ground and level with the shoulder.
Murali's arm, in any case, is as straight as it can be at the point of delivery (and also through the course of the stipulated non-chucking arc).
Nowhere in the rules is there any mention that the arm must be at 180 degrees.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This will always be an issue, mainly for 2 reasons:
1, some people don't understand what the rule actually is.
2, some people can't accept that there are learned physicians with technology most of us can only dream of who have actually analysed the neccessary permutations and have come-up with an answer that they cannot possibly have grounds on which to believe they know better.
On this forum there are some of both.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler's arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand. This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing.

thats the rule in question....

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
age_master said:
A ball is fairly delivered in respect of the arm if, once the bowler's arm has reached the level of the shoulder in the delivery swing, the elbow joint is not straightened partially or completely from that point until the ball has left the hand. This definition shall not debar a bowler from flexing or rotating the wrist in the delivery swing.
That's right. And the way I understand that rule is that the elbow joint is not allowed to be straigthened further once the bowler's arm has reached shoulder level. It doesn't have to be straight at shoulder level, as long as the elbow joint is at the same angle when the ball is delivered.

Gems

Cricket Spectator
I just replied to this and it didn't stick so apologies if you get two replies from myself. (Damn connection).
I've been out the country for two months (a little under) and have had no chance while I've been away to review this site. However, I'm still not shocked to be uncovering Murali's name within 5 seconds of clicking on the site.
My immediate thoughts - no one is ever going to agree whether he chucks or not and thats cricketers included.

PY

International Coach
Gems said:
I've been out the country for two months (a little under) and have had no chance while I've been away to review this site.
Then welcome back to CW. :)

Question has to be why you haven't been keeping up with the site? ;)