• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicket Keepers

The best glove worker in the world

• Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Mark Boucher

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Moin Khan

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Rashid Latif

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Tatenda Taibu

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Parthiv Patel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Khaled Mashud

• Brendon McCullum

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Robbie Hart

• Ridley Jacobs

• Romesh Kaluwithurana

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Kumara Sangakarra

• Chris Read

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
i think Knott was widely considered the second best keep in the world, after Bob Taylor....and yeah it was Knotts batting ability that secured him the England job over Taylor (most of the time)

masterblaster

International Captain
To be honest, Nayan Mongia was quite brilliant, especially to guys like Anil Kumble, Rajesh Chauhan and Venkatapathy Raju.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
None of those keepers really stand out as being exceptional.

Two of the best I have seen have been Jack Russell & Adam Parore....Ian Healy & Ian Smith were also good.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: Re: Re: Wicket Keepers

Richard said:
No, it's just doing what you expect a wicketkeeper to do.:)
Well I'd class it as a match-winning performance since he's just taken all the chances and if he had not then his team probably wouldn't have won.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wicket Keepers

Rik said:
Well I'd class it as a match-winning performance since he's just taken all the chances and if he had not then his team probably wouldn't have won.
Fair enough - he's played a large part in the winning of the match.
Still, had he dropped a single one of them, there'd have been more valid disappointment than if someone had got out instead of playing a match-turning innnigs. Because one is expected; the other is kinda not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
Rashan Peiris is actually rated by pundits to be Lanka's best keeper.
But I presume Sangakkara is preferred for his superior batting.
Well he's certainly not rated by every pundit to be so.
There are certainly some who think Mahela's younger brother is.
For me, Sangakkara and Kaluwitharana are both good enough to play purely as batsmen, even if Kalu's never shown what I believe to be his true class in international games. Out of those two Sangakkara's a pretty good wicketkeeper, Kalu even better.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
IMO it has to be Gilchrist.

He is number one in overall ODI dismissals with 310 from 185 matches.

In tests he is ranked nine in overall dismissals with 214 from 51 matches.

Numbers don't lie ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree, I think it's about time people got over the fact that Gilchrist has actually improved his keeping alot from when he first established himself as the Australian keeper.

I think people are just trying to hold on to perhaps the one weakness in the Australian team & don't want to accept that Gilchrist has got better.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Certainly no denying he's got alot better , but he's still a fair way off the number 1 spot.

The reason his numbers are so good is that he's been keeping to such a good attack for the greater part of his carear.

Craig

World Traveller
Alan Knott is my favourite 'keeper of all-time, so much so he is in my all-time XI.

If I went in with 6 batsmen, I would have Taylor or Grout (who apprantly was a great 'keeper) in there, but I go with 5 batsmen, so I chose Knott.

It's a pity Russell fell victim to the need of a 'keeper who can bat. As in Stewart.

Interested in McCullum is there...

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
I always liked Parore as a keeper, but definently not the overall best.

Taibu is a very promising keeper in my opinion.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tim said:
I agree, I think it's about time people got over the fact that Gilchrist has actually improved his keeping alot from when he first established himself as the Australian keeper.

I think people are just trying to hold on to perhaps the one weakness in the Australian team & don't want to accept that Gilchrist has got better.
We can accept that he's a better keeper than he was - but he's not the best by any stretch of the imagination.

And dismissals don't show a keeper's ability.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I agree with Neil about the fact that dismissals aren't everything, look at Moin Khan, by no means a great keeper but he sure has lots of dismissals.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
So why didn't you praise Boucher then?
Tests
Boucher: 274 dismissals@ 3.85 per match
Gilchrist: 214 dismissals@ 4.19 per match

ODI's
Boucher: 253 dismissals@ 1.51 per match
Gilchrist: 310 dismissals@ 1.67 per match

I think that Boucher is a fine keeper, but not as good as Gilchrist IMO.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
And dismissals don't show a keeper's ability.
How can you ignore the number of dismissals by a keeper in determing their ability :O

Like I said earlier, numbers don't lie.